Author Topic: Vintage Collection Rumors  (Read 251958 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Collection Rumors
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Who asked for it?  That's the last thing I want them to do.

Raises hand.  I did. :)  Actually most collectors were bitching up a storm when the animated line was announced, instead of realistic, as I recall.  I like the toon, but don't like what ammounts to a completely separate line of figures, so I'm all for realistic.  I don't need everything from the cartoon made though...  Mains and Clones, maybe some battledroid redecoes, and I'm pretty happy.

Guys like Whorm Loathsome would be ok, but not necessary.  Super background Jedi, again ok, and they've got a lot of bodies available to do them I guess, but not necessary.  I would like to see a Clone Officer in the grey uniforms though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Who asked for it?  That's the last thing I want them to do.

While initially I was one of those folks who hated the idea of an animated line. I've actually warmed up to it quite a bit and even though I predicted this would one day happen, I'm kinda hoping they keep the number of characters made in the realistic style to a minimum - maybe Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ashoka, Rex and Cad Bane and that's it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2011, 08:37 PM »
LOL!  Yeah, I doubt those will be all.  I just hope it's not going to be all Clonetroopers.  Rex I could them doing him and a few others but I bet they do a whole bunch of him.   

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Maybe they will go the other way as well.  I want to see an animated style ANH Luke, Vader, Han, Fett, Stormtrooper and Chewie.  (Ooops, he's coming out.)

All they have to do is plaster the package with a "Classic Character" sticker.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2011, 06:07 AM »
that would be awesome seeing the main OT characters in animated style and even a animated tv show using just OT, but I feel like Lucasfilm would never approve on OT animated figures.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I'd love to get a few of those IG-86 droids...and I like the idea of the clone officers, and possibly some other republic officer types.

I just don't want it to turn into another clone-fest...I feel like we have that already. Heroes, yeah, but generic clones are getting a bit boring. I'd rather have some alien characters, some new Mandolorians (not using the same Boba Fett body) and possibly different Sep droids. Those battle droid commandos are kind of cool.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45 AM »
I am actually very excited about some realistic CW figures. I was in that camp that was pissed at the animated figure direction. I really believe that hurt the line and not help. If they were realistic I think it would have brought in some more kids on the mainline. Guys like me who buy most items has only purchased a handful of animated figures most for their accessories, they lost a lot of money with me. Spilled milk now but I am glad they see the writing on the wall and are addressing the market. After the main characters I do not mind seeing some Clone repaints (Echo, Fives) and repaints of Mandos using some Boba/Jango parts in exclusive sets. I agree there are some great aliens to tap into that would be better than repaints. I am all in on this on what they offer.

I always prefer anything OT over all prequel stuff but if it's realistic I am in.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2011, 03:12 PM »
This idea frightens me.

I was against animated figures at the beginning too, but I started warming up to the animated line last year when I got the CW Season 1 DVD and realized that they were making great figures of some pretty cool characters. Picked up my first set of figures when stores were clearancing them out for $4.50. I mainly have stuck to villains and other characters that aren't seen in any of the movies, but I have started to pick up some of the newer, SA versions of the main characters.

And there's where I get nervous. I don't want to see realistic versions of the main characters. I have a very bad feeling this is going to be Hasbro's excuse to put out more Anakins, Obi-Wans and Greviouses. I'm totally willing to buy realistic versions of cartoon exclusive characters though, mainly Asoka, Rex and any other villains (like Cad Bane, Pre Vizsla, that Tarantula Separatist Commander, etc.). Maybe the Mon Calamari Jedi they did the mail away for. Point is, if there are any "NEW SHIN ARMOR" versions of Obi-Wan or Anakin, or any "new" versions of Grevious, I'm not buying. We already have enough versions of them clogging the pegs. If Hasbro wants to put Clones in this wave, put the Wave 6 AOTC Clone on a new card. No Yodas or R2-D2s.

Stick with characters exclusive to the cartoon.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2011, 03:47 PM »
The thing is, they're always looking for new ways to put Obi-Wan and Anakin out...  That's just life with the line be it Clone Wars, or realistic.  The main characters need new life, and if Realistic Clone Wars designs are the direction, what's wrong with that?

Anakin's actually pretty significantly different...  Obi-Wan's not terribly different from his ROTS look aside from the armor bits of course, but still...  Hey, it's a "new" look for a main character Hasbro is going to try to put out anyway.  I'd rather have that than ROTS Obi-Wan, again (unless he's got battle damage from Mustafar, of course  :-X).

The line can't survive on Yarna and Cantina Alien #50, and likewise it can't survive on only realistic Ahsoka or Rex plugged in for Clone Wars.  I think Obi/Ani are inevitable.  Without them (and remakes and reissues like them), ultimately the toy line isn't going to continue in any capacity.  At least it'll be something new then.

And right now there's no cancellation of animated...  Though I could see them folding the lines together.  I think Hasbro's partially seen the "competition" between the realistic and animated at this point, and that forcing kids in one direction may be healthier for the line overall.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2011, 09:40 PM »
And right now there's no cancellation of animated...  Though I could see them folding the lines together.  I think Hasbro's partially seen the "competition" between the realistic and animated at this point, and that forcing kids in one direction may be healthier for the line overall.

Healthier for which line though? Sounds to me like that only help boost the lagging realistic sales. The animated stuff sells fine already, I don't think that line needs to be folded into anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it, kind of a thought here.

If they fold anything it should be TVC and Legends. If there is competition on the pegs it is worse between those two, what with all their overlap of Clone Troopers, Obis, Anis, etc. 

And they sure as hell better not make Admiral Trench in a realistic style before they do his proper animated figure first!  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:43 AM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Trench! I forgot about him.  If Kenner had the line we'd have him in a heartbeat.  They loved the freaky looking figs.

It's funny, if they announced at the end of this year that they weren't making more realistic figures I would be totally fine with that.  Don't know why.

As mentioned above, I do think that could do very well with some OT figures in the animated style.  I believe (but have no proof) that many of the long term collectors started with the OT, and it is closer to them.  Some, who normally wouldn't buy CW figures, would certainly buy a new Luke and company in a new style.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Yeah Mike, good point...I have to admit, I'd buy any OT stuff done in an animated style in a heartbeat! I love some of those maquettes they have done like this, they translate awesome I think.

I'm not sure why LFL might oppose that, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2011, 12:48 AM »
It depends how you look at the line...  Hasbro still looks at the realistic line as the anchor, and Clone Wars as a kids line.  I'd say they view it like Collection 1 and 2, but the unanticipated reaction has been competition.  Realistic has lagged since animated started because animated, geared at the kids, is getting a lot of the sales.

So yes, it's helping realistic back, but if realistic is where you feel you're anchored (since the movies, not the cartoon, are the anchor of Star Wars), then yes I can easily see Hasbro moving away from animated to get kids back into realistic.

Right now though, I've heard realistic AND animated aren't exactly the hottest, and that Star Wars in general is slumping...  So they may feel it's time to tone things down in terms of diversity. 

I don't think they will now, I'm just saying, I think it will happen at some point.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2011, 09:35 AM »
It is hard to believe that sales are slumping when I have not even been able to find some of the figures in the wild. If numbers are down I would point the finger at production and distribution. As far as the combination of the lines, it it only good business to lead the group of kids that started collecting with CW to start buying some realistic. With the movies coming out in 3D this is the chance to take the group they cultivated with the CW and expand them into the entire line. It makes business sense for Hasbro. I hope it works, because in the end that is good for all of us.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how to judge the sales.  They seem down to me across the board as well, but it is always tough to tell.  The Vintage stuff (and new CW stuff) seems to sell through pretty quick (like instantly) when it does hit, but some stores are just sitting on old stuff.  In my area, TRU has had the same stuff (primarily CW Obi-Wans and a few others, and just a couple Dengars/4-LOMS on the vintage side), WM has had all of their SW pegs jammed full for months and months with all the same stuff.  Tons of CW (although nothing super recent), tons of TVC (but only Sandtrooper and ROTS Clone), and some Legends mixed in with the CW.  Target has been better of late, as I've seen cases of TVC Wave 6 come in several times in the past few weeks.  The CW section only has two Shaak Ti figures hanging out, and just a few Legends figures as well.  Actually - surprisingly - all the stores are somewhat devoid of the Legends line.  I mean, there are always some of course, but not as much as you'd expect.

I'm another one that would have liked seeing the CW line be realistic from the start, but at the same time I can understand why they went animated (and I do like the figures, its been a pretty good line).  Although I do still think it sells, I don't think it has the "heat" it once did, which is typical of today's kiddos I think.  It used to be, particularly in that first year or two, you couldn't even find a CW figure - especially around the holidays.  These days it seems to have slowed some - but not completely.  I'm always a fan of a more simple approach, so I look forward to the days when we could hopefully just have one Star Wars line again.  It may not ever happen, as times have changed a bit, but I think it might help things overall sales-wise and maybe even distribution wise.  We obviously won't see that change until the CW series is over, which is understandable, but I guess I just like the cleaner "one line" approach.