Author Topic: 2010 "Best Of" The Vintage Collection  (Read 6683 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2010 "Best Of" The Vintage Collection
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:32 AM »
I know the Vintage Collection technically didn't start until the Fall, and we've really only seen three waves so far (or two for some), but I thought it was the time to start a "best of 2010" list since we've only got a few days left in the year here.  Since aside from exclusive packaging differences there wasn't a lot of "vintage" aside from the figures themselves, we could maybe include any vehicle, battle pack, or exclusives that focused on the movies themselves (or EU).  Anything non-CW could qualify here I guess.  What are your favorite figures, vehicles, exclusives, etc. for 2010?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: 2010 "Best Of" The Vintage Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:39 AM »
The entire ROTJ wave line would be in my opinion the very best of the Vintage Collection. In fact I think it's Hasbro's best wave of figures ever - great assortment of characters, detailing, sculpting, articulation, and features make this wave downright awesome. If Wedge had made this wave, it would have been legendary!

Also add in the Target exclusive Hoth (Attack on / Defense of) battle packs, for $40 you get 3 great figures and excellent vehicles/diorama pieces. A pretty good deal considering 3 figures cost approx $21 individually so the AT-ST and Cannons are less than $20! Quite the value if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:40 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43 PM »
For me:

Individual Figure OT: Gammorean Guard (and I don't care for Cantina/Jabba Aliens)
Individual Figure PT: Should not be on "Vintage Cards"
Vehicle: The AT-AT hands down.  Although all the "Vintage" packaging ones are pretty cool.
Pack in Figure: AT-ST Driver, despite his height.  I would have said the Clean Shaven Hoth Rebel, but he is not "new" for the Vintage line

And this is just "So far", I reserve the right to amend the list as the line progresses.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I've only bought a few Vintage figs since they've been out and some my son just got for christmas. So combining with a 'Looks Cool in the Package' plus the few we opened, here's my thoughts:
Gen Grevious - though he has rubbery legs, he is very cool looking. Like the articulation of the arms, either as 'two regular' arms or split into four, the shoulder, elbow, forearm and wrist articulation makes for a great toy to play with - my son is very happy with him.
Magna Guard - Same as Grvious, great overall articulation makes for a great toy.
Dengar- I haven't opened him yet but looks like a very cool figure and toy.
Bespin Luke - He was on the xmas list but didn't make the final cut; but with some xmas $$$, we may still get him. THe sculpting and articulation make him a must have in our opinions.
Gamorrean Guard - one of the best - if not THE best figure of the modern, hands down. Great sculpt, articulation and though he can use a little 'manscaping' up front, a great figure!
Admr Ackbar - great looking figure that has been LONG overdue for an updated version and they nailed it!

{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:55 PM »
The excess of all things Hoth has been my favorite. The AT-AT, Target Attack and Defense Hoth sets, and GH AT-AT. I feel like I have more figures than I will ever need, but I like the accessories to give them something to interact with or use for display.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:29 PM »
-Best Vehicle:  For me it's the Snowspeeder...  It's hyper detailed, accurately scaled (after decades), and has sold steadily since its release which I consider a positive in its corner.  The AT-AT's cool, but the Speeder's got the things I appreciate the most as a collector going for it.  As a kid, I think I'd probably go AT-AT too though.

-Best Basic Figure OT (and Overall):  It's hard to say no to the Gammorean Guard.  Runner-up nods would go to the Phase 1 Dark Trooper (I'm throwing him in OT), Endor Rebel (neck and all), and maybe even Wicket sneaking into there.  I can't even recall all the 2010 figures off the top of my head to really be fair because that Gammie Guard really took the cake.

-Best Basic Figure PT: Hands down the Magna Guard...  Outstanding figure.  The only one to even come close was Palpatine.

-Best Multi-Pack: Of all battlepacks and whatnot, how can you deny the Defense of Hoth set?  Well, ok, you could pick the Attack on Hoth set, but for my money the Defense set was far superior, just for my own collecting style.  The Attack set is the better value though.  It's tough to argue against it in that regard.  The Rebel set really delivered the coolness to me though, with 2 towers, 3 figures I was ok having multiples of (even K-3PO is ok fodder).

Not much else to pick from then really...  I guess the straggler comic packs?

-Best Comic Pack:  Toss-up for me here...  It's between Cammie/Fixer or Montross/Mareel...  Cammie and Fixer win though, by a nose.  Getting two OT figures cut from the original film?  It puts them over the top.  However, Montross and Mareel only have minor re-use of parts, great decoes, great accessories, and come from a pretty cool story.  Plus Montross shows up in a game that is one of my favorite EU storylines, the old Gamecube Bounty Hunter game, which really delves into Jango's history and makes you kind of like him as a "good guy" in a way.

But yeah, Cammie/Fixer win that round by their OT-ishness.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:44 PM »
- Best Basic Figure: Gotta go with the Gammorean, and it's really a no contest. Flat out the BEST basic figure I think we've ever gotten from Big H. Runners up include, in order: Magnaguard, Bespin Luke, Ackbar, Palpatine and Wicket.

- Best Legends Figure: Snowspeeder Pilot Luke. Would have thrown it in for Best Basic Figure, but it's TLC and technically a 2009 figure, even if I didn't see that wave until well after 2010 started. I hear the Battle Droid pack is great but I haven't been able to find the corrected version, so I don't own it yet.

- Best Vehicle: Sadly I haven't bought any this year. All my extra cash has been going towards the figures, plus I'm running out of space. I'll say that the AT-AT and the Snowspeeder were the most interesting to me.

- Best Multipack: Again, was low on funds so I couldn't pick up any of the Hoth sets, but they both tie.

- Best Exclusive: I really enjoy the throwback 4-LOM/Zuckuss messed up names exclusive. Camie/Fixer Comic Pack is pretty cool too, but nostalgia wins out.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 05:16 PM »
I have to say that most of the basic figures are awesome!  Gammorean Guard and Ackbar being near the top.

The vintage Boba Fett is a great mail-away idea...marred only by the first wave being damaged.

The BMF AT-AT is awesome!  Hasbro is three for three on the Big Vehicles!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04 AM »
Basic figures:

1. BESPIN LUKE - I all-around love this figure. The sculpt and detailing is just amazing, I'm so glad that Hasbro decided to upgrade the 2007 sculpt, because looking at that one now, it just seems so outdated.

2. ENDOR CAPTURE LUKE - this is another phenomenal sculpt, a complete upgrade from the LC DSII sculpt - I hope Hasbro retires that barrel-torso, weird-legged sculpt completely.

3. MAGNAGUARD - this guy is so cool! I love how the SA is totally integrated into the character's design, but the electric effects at the end of the staff fall off a tad too easily.

4. SENATE DUEL DARTH SIDIOUS - I was actually considering this guy as #1, but there's just something weird about his arms to me. It's hard to pose them, and then there's the accuracy of his outfit. But I love the headsculpt, I remember there were some complaints about his grin.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:35 AM »
I'd like to add a "Best Exclusive" to the list I put up too...

Having already given the Hoth set a slot in the multi-pack category, I think Jabba The Hutt was the best "exclusive" item of 2010.  I loved that set, and besides wishing the price were maybe a hair less, I think it's fantastic.  To me, it's not a multi-pack...  More comparable, to me, to exclusive vehicles or whatnot.

I'd say it's as cool as the Defense/Attack on Hoth sets at the very least, and a cool exclusive in its own right.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:06 AM »
  To me, it's not a multi-pack...  More comparable, to me, to exclusive vehicles or whatnot.

Like a Playset?

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:53 AM »
ROTJ wave hands down.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58 AM »
  To me, it's not a multi-pack...  More comparable, to me, to exclusive vehicles or whatnot.

Like a Playset?

Or maybe they'll call it an "environmental element" instead ;)
But the Jabba is Def a great addition and I'ld like to get but with limited funds and my son not interested in it, it'll have to wait.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 01:00 PM »

Amen.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 01:05 PM »

Amen.

Dear Hasbro:

Please continue to make PT items on Vintage cards that have never been on Vintage cards before. If you get access to a time machine and can actually go back to the 70s and 80s then please don't add PT stuff to those.

Sincerely,
Me
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:06 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within