Author Topic: Toy Fair 2011  (Read 30323 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2011, 10:35 AM »
The Rebel Fleet Trooper?

Oh, yes. We should be seeing that in all it's glory.  :)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2011, 10:41 AM »
More logs please...   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2011, 02:55 PM »
More logs please...   :)

Ditto, LOL.

I'm not too excited abotu TF this year. I'll just be happy enough if they show the BIG vehicle. Anything else NEW would be gravy.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Habro would do well to show as many card mockups of TVC as possible, just for fun.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2011, 03:56 PM »
What's up w/ the AT-ST set anyway?

No one knows for sure.  The were some pretty solid rumors that Kohl's balked at the last minute and decided not to take the set, but the Q&A sessions ended for the holidays before anyone could confirm what happened with Hasbro.

I'll ask them about it at Toy Fair (if we don't hear something before then).

That would be fantastic Jeff.  Those poor little GH don't get much love from the Q&A.  ;D

As for 3 3/4", it would obviously be great to get confirmation on Wave 6, perhaps even Wave 7?
« Last Edit: January 6, 2011, 03:57 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2011, 05:50 PM »
According to the Wal-Mart computer system the wave consists of:

Luke Skywalker (Dagobah - Rumpred to be SS Luke with no gloves and flight cap)
Clone Trooper (?)
AT-RT Driver
General Lando
Weequay Skiff Master
Fi Ek Sirch

I like 4 out of the 6. I am so cloned out that I cannot get excited about clones anymore. I hope they show 2-3 waves, some new vehicles (Wedge SS and a new Skiff would be great!) and we will see the new "somewhat" big one with the $80 retail. I really would love to see some new Taun-Tauns but that would not be until SDCC me thinks!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Mark me down for a Death Star Playset.  I swear to God.  The line has been around since 95 and they still haven't made a decent one yet.   Every other toy company in the world would have been all over this but not Hasbro!  If you really want to get vintage Hasbro make one somehow, someway.   You are in the toy industry.  Be creative and git it done!   It's got plenty of "screen time" and playability for God's sakes.  I know asking for the Tonnika Sisters is to much but a Death Star Playset.  C'mon!!!   

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Evazan, WalrusMan, Rebel Fleet Trooper, SkiffMaster Weequay, and probably some others I'm forgetting.  Oh, Bom Vimdin.  I don't know if we will but I'm hoping. 

I assume the big vehicle with the "Attack Shuttle" from the Clone Wars. 

I was hoping for some tie-ins to the Blu-Ray release, but now that we know it's not coming until September that's probably not going to be revealed in time.

I'm not really expecting much at TF this year. 

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2011, 06:28 AM »
Mark me down for a Death Star Playset.  I swear to God.  The line has been around since 95 and they still haven't made a decent one yet.   Every other toy company in the world would have been all over this but not Hasbro!  If you really want to get vintage Hasbro make one somehow, someway.   You are in the toy industry.  Be creative and git it done!   It's got plenty of "screen time" and playability for God's sakes.  I know asking for the Tonnika Sisters is to much but a Death Star Playset.  C'mon!!!  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Evazan, WalrusMan, Rebel Fleet Trooper, SkiffMaster Weequay, and probably some others I'm forgetting.  Oh, Bom Vimdin.  I don't know if we will but I'm hoping.  

I assume the big vehicle with the "Attack Shuttle" from the Clone Wars.  

I was hoping for some tie-ins to the Blu-Ray release, but now that we know it's not coming until September that's probably not going to be revealed in time.

I'm not really expecting much at TF this year.  

I agree with you. It's criminal that such an iconic setting, which was a hallmark of the original line, has not been reattempted because of bs "playpattern research." You make a good toy, kids will play with and buy it, pure and simple. With two Falcons and AT-ATs, you'd think they'd think they could knock it out the park. It can't be a confidence problem from design angle. I guess they're just too worried about selling it. Fortune favors the bold.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2011, 06:28 AM by Captain Piet »
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2011, 10:33 AM »
As a wish list....it would be nice to see an ESB repaint of the new big Slave I, new Taun Tauns, a few waves of vintage, a few waves of CW, and a Death Star Playset ;).

Realistically....I hope we see at least a couple waves of figures from each of the lines, some stuff we haven't already seen.  I'm guessing we'll get a look at the "big" vehicle for this year, which I believe via the Q and A Hasbro said would be CW-based.  I'd like to see some other new vehicles, hopefully with at least 1 or 2 being re-dos of the OT ships.  A couple little surprises would be nice too, but as already mentioned, Hasbro often saves the majority of stuff for SDCC.  I'd also like to know for sure if we're going to have another big lull this year.  I'm hoping not (I think they said we'd have a break, but not as bad as previous years), but I'm just guessing we will with Hasbro also having Thor, Cap, a continuing Iron Man line, Transformers in addition to their Spidey/Marvel Universe stuff, GI Joe, etc.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2011, 10:36 AM »
I don't know - I can totally see why Hasbro is apprehensive, to say the least, about a Death Star play set.  Honestly, as a collector and self proclaimed Star Wars nut - a Death Star play set doesn't sound very exciting to me, a collector who buys almost 1 of everything from the films - so why would a kid buy in?

I have read about peoples "modular" ideas, and still, it doesn't sound very exciting to me as, for instance, the Sail Barge.  Which would I rather have - a series of long, gray corridors with doors that shut sealing off sections, a gunnery, a jail, a briefing area, a garbage area, etc - or, a Sail Barge with lots of opening compartments to reveal areas of a ship where Luke and his buds could battle their way through it all the while throwing off ugly Jabba goons into the pit below?

Even though it sound like there are more pieces/areas to the Death Star idea the Sail Barge just sounds a lot more exciting to me.

Especially when I try and picture an in package box for both sets.  I think what Hasbro would/could do for a Sail Barge would look way more appealing than a Death Star.  If it doesn't look cool on the box - kids aren't going to be screaming for it.

I would like to hear others thoughts on this.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Honestly, I think our one and only shot to get a Death Star playset of any sort may be with the 3D release of ANH in what...2015?  They've made that cryptic note in one of the Q and A's that the theatrical releases bring about opportunities to try other things they wouldn't normally try, and I could possibly see this being the big holiday item for maybe that year.  I mean, they are starting to cover a lot of the big OT offerings already with the Falcon and AT-AT, and I think something like the DS would stand a better shot than an even larger Sandcrawler, Imperial Shuttle, etc.  The only other big OT draws I could think of is re-done starfighters (X-Wing, Y-Wing, etc.)

That being said, I do think if we see a DS playset, it is going to be more of a "playset" than a bunch of hallways, etc. that you put together.  I just don't see us getting anything like the examples we've seen of customs that look amazing.  It is going to be something in the same vein as the Falcon/AT-AT/AT-TE, etc. where it can look pretty nice, but still be fun...and in a way, that's probably how it should be.  I could see something along the same line as the LEGO version, where it is a Death Star, sphere-like shape, but has different "rooms" on each side.  At least I think LEGO had a version like that within the past few years.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2011, 12:45 PM »
I think a Death Star playset is a no brainer.  If they take the kind of approach with one like they have with the Falcon, AT-TE, Turbo Tank, AT-AT, then they should have a real winner.  And it would open the gate for them to explore some other environments as well.

Seriously, every kid I know (and it's quite a few now that I'm a parent) gravitates towards my son's playsets when they come over.  These are Imaginext, etc.  And when they see my Star Wars collection, they're usually most interested in the Death Star playset that is custom made from Owen D.  They literally freak out about it - just on New Years some kids were over; one is 13 and said "holy ****" when he saw it, and asked when that thing came out.  He and is buddy also were amazed by the Tantive IV set and Star Destroyer bridge and said "They should sell these at Wal-Mart".

Hasbro's missing the boat here.  We've been waiting patiently for 15+ years now, and still nothing.  Instead they can invest in crap sublines over the years that always end up in clearance sections, but a good playset or two that would serve as environments for all these figures we keep spending our hard earned dollars on?  Heaven forbid.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 7, 2011, 02:47 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Wasn't there some sort of a Death Star type thing at last year's Toy Fair or Comicon that nobody is supposed to talk about or something?  I remember someone saying RS had pics a long while back....Or maybe I'm confused.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: January 7, 2011, 03:41 PM »
The only thing I'm aware of that was revealed has been the Death Star Mock-Up (Clicky Image) we posted in mid-2009.  It's a big set, spherical...  Kind of like the Lego set and Palitoy Death Star.  I wouldn't be shocked if they had other designs around too though, of course.  They say they look at a lot of different things, so I imagine the "Mock-Up" closet is pretty full of different ideas.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 7, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Paul posted this last year in the What are you Collecting thread...unless it was some crude joke?

My plan at this point is to collect:

Star War Vintage (Original Trilogy stuff) figs and vehicles (and the modular Death Star Playset they told us we couldn't show pictures of yet.  ::) )