Author Topic: Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures  (Read 25028 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Not technically "Green Lantern Classics", but it looks like a possible figure of Tomar Re from the movie line has shown up online.  I'm not the best judge of scale, but I believe it may be 6" (which I think Mattel said there would be "Movie Masters" for the GL line, but also mentioned "big plans" for the 3 3/4" scale too).
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 12:38 PM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Now an official first look at Mattel's Hal Jordan movie figure, with display base.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2011, 12:31 PM »
The reveals continue, HERE's a look at the large scale (14" tall) Green Lantern (movie) action figure.  Also, a couple of other movie figure reveals:

Rot Lop Fan

G'Hu

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Now an official first look at Mattel's Hal Jordan movie figure, with display base.

$25(!) for a 4" scale preview action figure?  Pass.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2011, 01:22 AM »
Well I like that I am buying even one of these figures in GL Classics wave 2. The movie figures just look worse and worse with each one i see.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2011, 09:57 AM »

I'm not getting anything with that link, so maybe they embarassed themselves enough to take it down.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2011, 10:00 AM »
I guess the pre-order sold-out.  Apparently, it was limited to 2814 pieces and didn't last too long, even at the $25 price.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2011, 10:15 AM »
OK, the limited run would explain a sell through then, Ebayers rejoice.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2011, 12:08 PM »

Same here.  It looks spiffy enough and all (probably to leave in package - and is sold out now anyways), but that is quite steep.  And we thought $13-15 for Hasbro SW exclusives was bad, yikes.  Also, if this is what the "new and improved" 4" scale DC stuff from Mattel is going to be like, it doesn't seem too impressive.  It seems to still be lacking a lot of articulation, but maybe this preview isn't indicative of what the line will be like (which I believe came up as $9.99 in Target computers, with Movie Masters at $15.99).

I know I'll likely get sucked into some of the movie stuff (I nearly always do with the comic book movies), but if so, I think I'll opt for the Movie Masters.  Unless we see a big improvement in the Infinite Heroes scale stuff (which would be nice, it is much more space-friendly), it just doesn't seem worth it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Warner Bros. Pre-Toy Fair Press Release - some random toy pics included.

I can tell already that my boys will be clamoring for the Green Lantern Colossal Cannon™ Blaster:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:03 PM »
I've only seen a few pictures from Mattel's GL display so far, but it looks to me like I'll be sticking to the Movie Masters stuff.  From what I can tell, their smaller scale line doesn't look to be all that spiffy or improved over the Infinite Heroes stuff - which is disappointing.  Like I said though, I didn't see super clear pictures, so maybe Jeff or others have some better opinions on it.  The Movie Masters stuff looks good though.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 01:35 PM »
From what I can tell, their smaller scale line doesn't look to be all that spiffy or improved over the Infinite Heroes stuff - which is disappointing. 

Yeah, the 3 3/4" stuff was really... sad, I guess is the best word for it.  Some pretty neat sculpts, but the articulation is almost a step back on a lot of them (no knee, no ankle, no elbow) because of the "action" feature they are supposed to do.  Right now, I think it's a big pass for me on the 3-3/4" stuff.  :-\

The movie masters looked really nice though.  They said there are 14 figures (2x Han and 12 others) plus the "Mega-Size" figures (Kilowog and Green Man) that will be at Matty.  And you need them all to do the CnC Parallax!   :o  I'm on the fence on this one - they would give me a chance at some nice Mattel figures, but if they are going to be impossible to find all 14 over the summer and fall, I'll probably bail on this one too. 

Kind of sad to think about a line Green Lantern movie toys where I don't end up buying anything, but honestly I don't want sucky 3-3/4" figures or impossible to find 6" figures - guess I'm too picky for my own good...  >:D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:38 PM »
That stinks that the 3 3/4" isn't improved, it really seemed like they were building that up after getting rid of Infinite Heroes (at least for the time being).  They kept saying "big plans" for the GL movie.  I didn't think they looked all that great (particularly the articulation like you mentioned), and it sounds like it was the same in person.  Thanks for the info Jeff.

I think I might bite on the Movie Masters stuff.  I know many don't care for movie figures, but I'm usually a sucker for getting at least the best version of the main hero for many of the movies, and this GL MM line in particular looks like it could have a lot of neat Lanterns too.  I see BBTS has the first wave (of 3) up for preorder, so I suppose they will be trickling out throughout the year.  My only fear is the Matty exclusive ones would be a MOTUC-style bloodbath trying to get.  It would really bug me not being able to get Kilowog.  I can understand him being exclusive due to the size, but you would think he would be one of their "big guns" from the movie to get to retail.  Either way, it is a little disappointing the smaller scale stuff isn't too great.  It looks like they have a kids line and a collectors line, and I guess that's a good thing too.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Saw a ton of new GL figures at TRU. Not bad, I think they'll be popular.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Saw a ton of new GL figures at TRU. Not bad, I think they'll be popular.

Really?   I saw the figs at TRU today too and thought they were God awful.  I can't get used to the movie version of Hal.  I thought at least Killowog would be cool, but I thought he looked like crap as well.  The only one that looked decent to me was Sinestro.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today