Author Topic: Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures  (Read 25029 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I wouldnt mind getting the BAF but no interest in the figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 09:01 PM »
No sign of GL stuff at retail here, although I see BBTS has the first wave of the Movie Masters in stock.  I'm always a sucker for at least a bit of the movie lines, so I'm sure I'll pick some up (unless the movie is for some reason awful).  I haven't seen anything in person yet, but as of now I'm planning on just sticking with the Movie Masters for the GL line if I pick anything up but I guess we'll see once everything hits retail.  It is the type of franchise that could really have a nice lineup if handled correctly.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:54 AM »
The SDCC exlusive for the Movie Masters line is Kilowog, as I think we already knew.  I hope it isn't too tough to get on Matty after the show, because I'd really like to pick one up.  My favorite Lantern not named Jordan ;).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 02:07 PM »
He looks pretty massive.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 3, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I saw some of the GL movie stuff at our local TRU today.  They didn't have the individual Movie Masters, although they did have their exclusive 2 packs (Hal/Tomar, Hal/Abin Sur).  They had what looked like one case of the 4" figures, priced at $9 each (!).  Also, a few deluxe figures, the GL cannon/role play thingy, and an exclusive 12" Hal Jordan (DCUC style), similar to the "Giants of Justice" that they've had before (I think that was the name anyway).  As excited as I am for this movie, I couldn't bring myself to spend $9 on a Hal Jordan for our daughter (she's probably more interested in the ring anyways).  I haven't seen them at retail anywhere else here yet, but hopefully the prices will be at least slightly better.  $9 is bad enough for a 4" figure, let alone one that just basically has the basic POTF2 style articulation.  Yikes.  The Movie Masters looked pretty good though, and I've got the first wave coming from BBTS this week to check them out in person.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12 PM »
After much deliberation between movie masters and the 4" guys, I went ahead and picked up Kilowog and Green Man from the 4" line. Cruddy articulation aside, I think they look very nice sculpt wise and they're much easier on my wallet. I do not regret my purchase. The lack of pose-ability really doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, since I probably just would have stuck them on the shelf in a neutral pose anyway, and the price was right. I'll probably get some more of the alien guys, Hannu, Isamot Kol and Stel all look pretty neat. The humanoid looking characters are rather weak looking though. It really is a shame they didn't include more articulation though, Mattel probably could have sucked a lot more people into the basic line if they'd just included knees, elbows and wrists, because they really are leaps and bounds better than the Infinite Heroes in terms of sculpt.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15 AM »
Saw these today at Targte and Walmart.  I actually thought the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern had a decent head sculpt.  I didn't care for the lack of articulation, though, but it was a good likeness.  Overall, the sculpts weren't terrible, they're pretty straight forward, but I don't know if the value is there for $8 with little to no accessories.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Saw these today at Targte and Walmart.  I actually thought the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern had a decent head sculpt.  I didn't care for the lack of articulation, though, but it was a good likeness.  Overall, the sculpts weren't terrible, they're pretty straight forward, but I don't know if the value is there for $8 with little to no accessories.

E...

Yeah, I've only seen the GL stuff at TRU here so far, but I thought pretty much the same thing.  The sculpts on the smaller scale stuff didn't look bad, but the combination of very basic articulation and not a massive amount of accessories makes the price a bit steep.  I know those days are long gone, but if they could price these more in the $5-$6 range, it might make more sense.  That being said, I have picked up the Movie Masters figures and I think those are pretty well done.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Simple articualted figures...I saw some two packs at Meijer for $10 (Jordan and the guy he gets the ring from, and Jordon and some alien GL), which is decent for modern figures. Singles were $7. I think the sculpting is overall better than Infinate Heroes.

The small vehicles were terrible in that they figures with them aren't really action figures when seperated from their machines. Killwog (undersized compared to carded figure) has legs permanently in riding mode, and the battle suit Hal Jordan is just an immovable painted figure that goes inside the armor.

The final battle Parallax was amusing with some chest bursting grabbing monster hand. 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Saw the 6 inch figures for the first time today. They look better in person than i expected. Still passed on them all though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Saw the 6 inch figures for the first time today. They look better in person than i expected. Still passed on them all though.

Maybe it is just because it is still early, but Target is actually the only place I've seen the single carded Movie Masters from the GL line.  TRU has their exclusive two packs (Hal/Tomar, Hal/Abin), but otherwise that's about it.  Our local Target has one peg for them, and then several for the small scale stuff, and our WM (which is admittedly a mess right now, and usually) just has the small single carded figures jammed in the middle of the action figure aisle (next to Iron Man I think).  Our Target just did their reset, and its crazy all the movie stuff this year with Thor, GL, Cap, Cars, Transformers, and still Iron Man having their own space in the aisle(s).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43 PM »
I was tempted by K-Mart's $5.99 sale that is running this week on the 3.75" figures, but I still couldn't pull the trigger.   :-\

Maybe I'll stop back in there later this week and give them one last glance before the sale ends...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 06:59 AM »
At least a collector cannot complain about the leg articulation in the movie line 3.75 figures - they have none. 
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Saw all of these at Walmart last night, pass.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I don't know if anyone here is collecting the 4" GL movie line, but it looks like Wal-Mart is going to have a series of 2 packs including the Guardians.  Similar in style to the "droid factory" or CW 2 packs from Star Wars.  Sounds like they should be hitting any time.