Author Topic: MLB 2011  (Read 11177 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: MLB 2011
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 08:07 PM »
If the Pirates are better than you, you probably can claim the "We suck" argument.

I have to hand it to a local guy in our collecting group though...  He sticks with the Buccos through thick and thin.  A real fan. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Thank God they finally arrested one of the jacka@%es you beat the Giants fan on opening day. Hope he gets put away for a long time.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Wow!  Yankees hit three grand slams in the same game!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 12:30 AM »
Holy hell!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 12:34 AM »
I know, Rob!  I was so worried we were going to lose 100 games and then BAM - a two game win streak to finish off the year - way to go Twins!!!  63-99!

Oh wait - you probably meant the Tampa stuff.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 12:43 AM »
No no, I meant the Twins.

What happened in Tampa?!  ;D 

Damn that was incredible.  I haven't been that excited about Baseball since the ALCS against Boston a few years ago.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 06:41 AM »
Easily the most shocking night of baseball that I have witnessed since the '86 Mets game 6 of the World Series.

Granted baseball doesn't get very exciting most of the time, but last night was epic.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Wow, for a guy whose two favorite teams are the Braves and the Red Sox, last night was super fun. Like getting kicked in the nuts with an iron boot...twice.

Seriously, 3-2 lead in both games in the 9th and you can't close it out?

I'm sure the Yankees were not trying to tank that game near the end there.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 09:18 AM »

That doesn't really make any sense because the Red Sox have been about the worst team in baseball for almost 4 weeks, their offense couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat, and their pitchers couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag.

Why would you want to face the Rays, who came on over the last few weeks about as strong as possible?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 09:24 AM »
If the Yankees really tried to tank that game so they could possibly have to play the hot Rays over the floundering horrendous pitching staff that Boston currently has, well then I guess.......... I don't buy it............. They played a game that was them setting themselves up for the playoffs and lead 7 - 0 the way I'd expect. Can't believe I'm sticking up for the Yankees. Yuck.

edit---- posting at same time.... what he said.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:25 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 02:01 PM »

bull****.  I hate the Yankees with all my heart, but Giaradi had every right to manage his team the way he saw fit.  If that includes resting his players, making 18,000 pitching changes a game and playing the scrubs, then so be it.  The Yankees didn't owe the Red Sox anything.  And if you think about it, the Yankees kept the Red Sox alive in the hunt by taking 3 of 4 from the Rays last week.  Without that, this penant race would have been over last week.

Did they get a little joy by keeping the Sox out of the playoffs?  Maybe, but that doesn't mean they intentionally threw games (although I do question why Texiera didn't score from second  on a clean double).  The Sox have no one to blame but themselves.  They assumed they'd be able to coast into the playoffs and it came back to bite them in the ass.  The Rays had the will, desire and guts to fight to the bitter end, the Sox were the complete opposite. The only ones pulling their weight the last month were Ellsbury, Pedroia and Papelbon (although he blew it last night).  Everyone else were a bunch of entitled prima donnas who couldn't pitch, couldn't play defense or get the big hit when needed.  They deserved everything that happened to them and deserve all the criticism they're receiving now.  Maybe this will light a fire under their asses and they'll play a complete ******* season next year, start to finish.  The difference between the Yanks and Sox is that the Yanks play for the division and the Sox play just to make the playoffs (ie, the wild card).  At least the Yanks have something to fall back back on if they falter a bit.  We all saw what happened to the Sox - another third place finish (by the so called "greatest team ever").

I can't with good conscience root for another AL East team and I don't really like Texas, so I'll be rooting for Detroit in the AL and Philly in the NL.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 7, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Really?  Not a word?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 7, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Heard the joke on MN sports radio today that "this is what happens to the Yankees when they don't have a first round bye". Thought that was pretty funny.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 7, 2011, 10:14 PM »
I had a very classy post prepared that was something to the effect of "Suck it Yankees!" but then I decided that would only potentially inflame some hurt feelings.  :P

Really though, hard to argue that the best team didn't win, IMO. Detroit showed a lot of grit too, kind of a feelgood story.

Great game between the Brewers and Diamondbacks tonight. Hats off to both clubs for a great series effort.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Anyone else think Chicago hiring Ventura with no managing/coaching experience as their manager is weird?

Though not as crazy as to hear they thought about having Konerko be a manager/player. Didn't think I'd ever hear of that again.