Author Topic: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs  (Read 75538 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Good luck finding these - the first wave of them is seriously clogging the pegs at all of my local Targets so this exclusive re-pack line is essentially DOA.

Agree. I will only buy the current sets on clearance, like I did with the 9-pack.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Same here.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56 AM »
These are such a wasted opportunity to offer some minor newness without new tooling. Even a little minor effort would go a long way. For instance:

Imperial Officer - Switch head and rank badge to the AT-AT Commander, paint the head Blonde or Black
Dengar - Vintage Deco, lame but it's something.
C-3P0 - Paint the BAD mold Gold
Chewbacca - Paint the screaming 30th Tin Chewie without the Snow Deco ala Bespin diner scene.
R2 - Paint the new R2 mold with some grime
IG-88 - Paint him white.
Snowtrooper - Deco the Rank badge
Bossk - add some more grim deco to the suit.

While not everything above is groundbreaking it would be more than enough to get me to buy these. Do the guys at Hasbro ever wonder why some items fail or do they just blame us? Pure laziness, I get the tight timelines and no new tooling but the stuff I mentioned above can be done on a tight timeline and stay on budget.  This had the potential to be so much more, I am not sure we will see Wave 3 that supposedly had some new tooling. These are selling OK in my area my Christmas will clear these out and my current pessimism towards the SKU.

That Imperial set is going to look great hanging next to the other single carded Dengars. Admittingly I can see the Chewie/Droid set selling very well evebn the Bossk set. (Did you notice the Chewie is the Saga Legends deco with the spatter of snow. UGH.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 12:26 AM »
  I am very surprised though that are moving forward with yet another wave.  The individual 3 packs are doing much better though that the original 9 pack.  I like the idea myself it's just I'd rather spend my money on new figures.  That is I could ever actually see new figures in the damn stores. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2011, 06:29 AM »
  I am very surprised though that are moving forward with yet another wave.  The individual 3 packs are doing much better though that the original 9 pack.  I like the idea myself it's just I'd rather spend my money on new figures.  That is I could ever actually see new figures in the damn stores.

My experience here in NJ is the exact opposite.

The only reason I was able to get a 9-pack was because I asked for a case to be brought out on the day of the Sunday advertisement. That same case was returned to the stock room and I never again saw the 9-pack at any of the four Targets I frequent.

In contrast, all three Vintage 3-packs are hanging on the pegs in counts of 2 or more with no real sign of selling.

I agree with what JACKOFTRADZE said - if they were tweaking these slightly, I think they would sell a lot better.

Why isn't the Death Star Trooper in the Imperial Set painted to match the Kenner deco? Right or wrong, that deco would have made total sense in that set.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 02:23 PM »
These seem to be sitting here quite a bit as well.  Honestly, I think I've seen the fewest of the Han/Luke/Obi set and the most of the Imperial set.  I could see these selling more around the holidays, but there is supposed to really be a whole other wave of these by then.  I still like the nostalgia aspect of them, and have picked up one of the Han sets just because I wanted another VOTC Han and I didn't mind having extras of the Obi-Wan or Luke either.  They seem to be easier to pass on otherwise since they have just been straight repacks, but really they are including pretty nice figures for someone who is relatively new to collecting or a kiddo.  I don't know if this series is going to sell through before those new ones show up though.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 05:58 AM »
These sets stagnate in my area, and the sets with lightsaber-wielding characters sell a little more, no doubt to kids. I'm surprised that with the mixed reaction to these sets that Hasbro keeps cranking them out. They're a smart idea, but the figures aren't new enough to sell easily.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Found these new one at Target this morning. Passed for now.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 03:13 PM »
I saw these at our local Target this weekend as well, and also passed for now.  Honestly, I don't need any of the figures, but sometimes the packaging or setup of using some nicely done figures gets tempting.  I may get the Chewie and Droids set just for the heck of it, to go with the Han/Obi/Luke set I grabbed to keep carded.  We'll see.  Still think these are nice for new collectors (if we still see those) or kiddos who are interested in the OT.  You'd get a pretty nice collection of fairly "ultimate" versions of the characters between the last couple waves of these things.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I hit 5 stores this weekend and each one had these out, so they're everywhere.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22 AM »
I haven't seen the new packs at all after numerous visits. I'm judging by the tons of original sets left that my Target just gave up on them, altogether.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I just had a wet dream type moment...

Hasbro has said they will probably rerelease all of the Kenner 3 packs at some point...and have sort of hinted they may tweak the figures a little bit...here's hoping they release this with updated modern equivalents of the Kenner figures!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57 AM »
That would be awesome!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 11:58 AM »

Hasbro has said they will probably rerelease all of the Kenner 3 packs at some point...and have sort of hinted they may tweak the figures a little bit...here's hoping they release this with updated modern equivalents of the Kenner figures!

They probably will do that one...3 months after Ponda Baba comes out on a TVC basic figure card.  ::)

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 12:03 PM »

Awesome.  Can I please get one of these made out of Kubricks as well?   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today