Author Topic: Death Squad Commander... Film Look, or Complete Vintage Update  (Read 12253 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
This occurred to me in another thread...

The Death Squad Commander, a "Death Star Trooper" but sporting the grey uniform, has two looks depending on how you want the figure made.

The figure's based on production images of the trooper working the consoles behind Tarkin/Vader as they blow Alderaan apart.  He's rocking the typical Death Star Trooper tunic, but no ranks or anything.

The actual vintage Death Squad Commander figure has all those details but sports a painted-on rank badge for one reason or another. 

Which would you want then?  A complete vintage update that sports a red/blue rank badge?  Or would you want one that's film-accurate without a rank badge at all?

Does film-accuracy trump vintage toy reproductions?  Does this fall into the same category as Hammerhead's sweet blue unitard?  Or would the little rank badge homage be appreciated more?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Death Squad Commander... Film Look, or Complete Vintage Update
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2011, 10:16 PM »
So, is the difference just the badge?  If so, I'll take option C - don't really care.  I loved the DSC when I was a kid, so I'll just be happy to have an updated version of him in that cool gray and black.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2011, 10:49 PM »
I mainly just want them to make it grey and black and on the vintage card.  I personally would like the badge thingy but won't cry about if they don't.  Again I just want the version made at this point. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2011, 12:12 AM »
Techinically, there's two differences...  the badge, and a headset.

The vintage figure obviously doesn't have a headset, but the character in the little computer turntable dj booths does.  The POTF2 figure sports the headset (without the curly wire thing).  That would be a "film accurate" detail....

The actual vintage figure sports a rank badge though, though the film character does not (I don't believe he does anyway, by most photos I've seen).

So that's another difference too, the headset being included or not included.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2011, 08:24 AM »
I'm skeptical that HAsbro can make the headset look right.  If they can do a detachable one that looks good - maybe one that attaches to the helmet, then that would be cool.  Otherwise I'm just fine if they skip it.  I don't care much about the badge, but if I had to decide I would want the badge just to pay homage to the vintage figure.  This is a case by case basis for me - I like the more film accurate clothing versions for guys like Hammerhead or Greedo (is he wearing a big green onesie?).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Here are some reference pics

I made my own

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2011, 09:59 AM »
I don't care on color but give him the correct damn boots.

ANH DST had jack boots.

ESB had tall riding boots.

ROTJ had a mixture

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I think they need to do an all new sculpt, the TAC one is just awkward looking.

For the new sculpt, I say no badge needed.

Then go with two versions - one carded one that is gray, then a black outfit one in a Battle Pack featuring the following:

- Death Star Trooper (gray)
- Chewbacca (early bird)
- Luke Skywalker (stormtrooper gear)
- Han Solo (stormtrooper gear)

Then alternate them both in Legends later on down the road.  Yay.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I consider the DSC an error figure like the Cantina aliens. So I have no real interest in a direct analog of the figure. Although I would buy one if they ever made it. And I hope they do for the people that want it. But I would much more like to see the "Death Star Controller" made. It is within the top ten of my ANH want list.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2011, 03:32 PM »
I'm more with CHEWIE in wanting what's on film over him having the rank badge.

I think the headset could be made as part of the removable helmet, rather than a separate piece, but that of course requires a new helmet mold to be made.  Still, it's pretty noticeable as in all the pictures Scott provided.  It certainly stands out compared to a regular DST without the headset.

Another interesting thing...  Check out the cut of the tunic on the photos?  Definitely different than an Imperial Officer's jacket like Tarkins.  Definitely different than the DST figure we have as well.  It folds to the left and is almost centered.  This is actually MORE proof that this character was wearing grey, not black, as the only characters seen with that cut of jacket were background officers in the halls, wearing grey.  It makes me wonder if he is actually wearing the pants OVER the boots rather than tucked in as well, which the Death Star officers wandering around with that jacket had their pants over the boots.

It's one of those "creative license" things since he's not out from the console, but I think the argument could be made now, seeing that the uniform appears to be very similar to other characters who are more easily seen.  I'm ok with either really, but I do find it interesting.  The distinct cut of the jacket really stands out now.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2011, 04:57 PM »
A nod to the vintage design would be nice, Hasbro could do alternate heads one with the headset and one without. Here's how one with a headset could look (the head is from the TSC Endor Soldier), a custom I made over 4 years...

Something like this with better articulation and improved helmet would be a great nod to both the vintage figure and the cardback itself.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2011, 05:24 PM »
You guys sold me on the accurate film look over a repaint. I like this look, I have traumatic childhood memories when I see the vintage figure of this guy. Back in the day I always got the worst SW figures like him, Lobot and Han Hoth so I never had this guy high on my list. I always hated him when I was a kid and though he had a black turtle glued to his head.

Nice custom CH! I like it!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2011, 01:09 AM »
This is more interesting that I'd thought.

The guy in the movie was in grey, different tunic, no gloves...boots unknown...heck, pants unknown.

Somehow I doubt they'll do an accurate version.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2011, 02:41 AM »
Good point on the gloves too, Scockery.  That's another "Vintage Figure or Movie Accurate" debate question...

To glove, or not to glove...  He's not got them on there though in the images.

I say no gloves.  I really lean towards a movie-accurate one.

I've always intended to use the POTF2 figure's head and some of the 30AC figure, but there are clearly a lot of details to this guy that make him dramatically different from the guys flanking Vader in the cell, or wandering around the detention block.  I'm more firmly entrenched now than ever that he's in grey too.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2011, 12:02 PM »
It makes me wonder if he is actually wearing the pants OVER the boots rather than tucked in as well, which the Death Star officers wandering around with that jacket had their pants over the boots.
He does. There is a picture of him from behind and he has his pants over his boots. I think it might even be in the movie (in wide screen) in one of the establishing shots.