Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie  (Read 33417 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie
« on: January 8, 2011, 08:59 PM »
I just read that Stephen Sommers won't direct the G.I. Joe sequel.

The first movie was better than I expected, and I have to admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure, but still, I'm glad to see Sommers is gone.  I'd like to see the property in different hands and get the story line, characters, and especially Cobra designs back to more familiar territory.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I'm kind of cautiously optimistic about this- yes, Sommers is gone, but I get the feeling that his replacement will only be worse, like Uwe Boll worse. And since Sommers and Bay have made the GI Joe and TF films into such farces, I can't see any real talent taking a crack at GI Joe 2.

But then somebody might be looking for a big payday and will be more than happy to take it on.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I loved almost everything about the first movie outside of the underwater battle at the end.  That was just overdone and looked silly.  However I thought the plot was great, with the entire scheme being a takeover of the US government. 

I'm intrigued by how they will go about this in the next film... would also love to see some more familiar designs in place, mostly with Cobra. 

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm terribly disappointed that Sommers is gone.  The GI Joe movie was just like the Sunbow cartoon, and it moved at a nice pace.  Too bad that the cast will probably change, but with any luck they won't do another damn origin story.  I am so tired of franchise origin stories.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Things are looking different for the sequel (August 12, 2012 release date)

Sienna Miller said she wouldn't come back.

And From Rachel Nichols' twitter
GI JOE 2 News Flash: The only characters to return in the JON CHU directed sequel will be SNAKE EYES, STORM SHADOW, and DUKE...
5:52 PM Mar 3rd via Twitter for iPhone

Wow. I thought Tatum blew, and he's one of two speaking characters returning. Maybe Shipwreck will be added to this trainwreck!

So COBRA rose and now what...the one character who most likely died is the only Cobra?  ???

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2011, 02:38 AM »
I think it's kind of a mistake not to bring Scarlett back, but if it means we get to see some other characters, I'm all for it. Flint, Lady Jaye, Beach Head, Tomax & Xamot...

Also, Cobra Commander and Destro are wearing masks (more or less) now, so they could easily recast those characters. Maybe, they'll recast Duke too. *pipe dream*
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2011, 03:16 AM »
Channing Tatum should have been the first actor to go.  Hell, they could lose Duke from the film entirely and I wouldn't mind a bit.

I really don't take the quote from Nichols too seriously yet, though.  She says "characters" but I'm wondering if she could mean actors.  But, the Joe team is large enough that they could dump everyone from the first film and still build out an impressive roster.  Maybe we'll finally get Roadblock instead of Heavy Duty, Dialtone over Breaker, Lady Jaye instead of Scarlett...etc.  Hell, they could lose Destro and replace him with Major Bludd for all I care.  But for ****'s sake, get rid of Tatum and find someone who is actually a Joe fan to consult on the script.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2011, 08:39 AM »
But for ****'s sake, get rid of Tatum and find someone who is actually a Joe fan to consult on the script.

That's the best thing the sequel has going for it, it is being written by Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.  The first movie Wernick made was a stop motion GI Joe movie when he was a kid, and Reese has said, "we're not allowed to talk about what the movie's about, but just know that we have a deep affection for GI Joe and that we'll bring our absolute best to it."

Additionally, although director John Chu's track record is almost exclusively ****** films that I wouldn't watch if you paid me, but I think he's got the right idea:

[G.I.] Joe, to me, is iconic. It is as American as Coke and the Boy Scouts. To have that kind of history in a brand is so rare these days. And that is so powerful. So you can’t treat Joe like its just another action movie. You can’t treat Joe as just another petty commercial movie. Joe has history. Joe has always been a part of what America is, and now the world. What it means to be a leader and a hero. For me, it is about the fun stuff like Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, and all the gadgets. All of that stuff. But it has heart. Its heart is what America, and what heroes and leaders around the world, strive to be. I think that is what the brand needs. It needs the respect to be treated in that way.

If Tatum is returning, then I hope it's just so they can kill him off early on.  Nichols is hot, but I can take or leave her.  Sienna Miller was great as the Baroness, but they screwed up that character so bad I won't miss her.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2011, 08:41 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2011, 10:20 AM »
I actually quite enjoyed the first Joe film, and am pretty annoyed that they'd change things up with the actors so much...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Well if the writers are familiar with writing for zombies (I am assuming they are, having not seen Zombieland), then they are gonna love "Carole" Channing Tatum .

I wonder if Sienna Miller felt she compromised her principals before or after they decided to NOT bring her back?  Seems convenient that her announcement came out about the same time the cast/character announcements were made.  An actor claiming they comprised their principals by taking a role (and big paycheck) is laughable at best.  Seems like posturing for one of those roles in a movie that nobody goes to see, but the self absorbed critics love (Hey rise of cobra got half of that right).

I'm glad she won't be back, it seems that she and Channing Tatum had the most contempt for our beloved "Mythos" out of all the actors involved.

I would even be ok if they started GI Joe:2 with Snake Eyes or Timber waking up and Rise of Cobra having been a bad dream brought on by some Ninja trance.

I'm going in with extremely low expectations, so I won't be as disappointed this time.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: March 6, 2011, 02:19 PM »
I thought the first one had some interesting points but I hated all kinds of things about it at the same time...  It was like a Prequal to me.  I liked aspects, and in the right hands it could've been far better.

I hope a sequal is treated better though.

And ditch the "super man suits".  I mean, seriously.  HALO called and said they want their **** back.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Hearing that Christopher Eccleston and Joseph Gordon-Levitt would likely not be reprising their roles as Destro and Cobra Commander, respectively, disappoints me, since they were pretty much the only good actors in the first film, IMHO.  That might be a bit too dismissive, though, as I thought Rachel Nichols was okay as Scarlett and Ray Park did a good job physically acting as Snake Eyes.  Everyone else in that film I could have done without totally.  Sienna Miller did nothing for me as the Baroness (I actually thought she did a good job as Anna during the flashback portions of the film), and the less said about Channing Tatum and Marlon Wayans, the better. 

All that being said, I have two thoughts on the new film, particularly as it relates to Jon Chu:

1-If people think this means LESS Channing Tatum, I have a feeling you're in for a nightmare, since C-Tate got his (relative) start in the film "Step Up" which, as we all know, Jon Chu directed both sequels to.  Duke is taking it to the streets, yo.   ::)

2-Given Chu's directoral resume of late, something tells me we might be in for a straight adaptation of that old (awful) Sunbow cartoon episode where Snake Eyes breakdances.  IN 3-D!  The crap flying off the screen will put Jackass 3D's ass volcano to shame.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 7, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Yeah, not sure what to think about this.  Although I didn't hate the first one, and I'm glad they are giving the franchise another shot on the big screen, I guess I'm ok with a relative "reboot" or whatever you might call it of this one.  When I first saw ROC in the theater, I came out thinking it was pretty entertaining - but we do own the DVD and I can't say I'm rushing to watch it over and over at this point either.  I thought Snake Eyes - aside from the "mouth" on the costume - looked pretty cool, and Ray Park of course did a nice job.  I wouldn't mind seeing focus shift on other characters like people have already mentioned here.  Also, although I know not everything works in live-action, I wouldn't mind seeing something closer to the original cartoon or comics either.  I never did really like the new look of Cobra Commander in the movie, and wouldn't mind seeing some more along the lines of the original.  Honestly, if the Joes aren't fighting Cobra Commander, Destro, the Baroness, etc. I'm not all that interested either probably.  I think they should go ahead and ditch Tatum as well and just go full-on reboot for this one.  I just don't know that the overall general audience is going to be all that interested after Rise of Cobra, which wasn't necessarily burning up the box office itself (although I think it did ok overseas and on DVD).

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 7, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I loved almost everything about the first movie outside of the underwater battle at the end.  That was just overdone and looked silly.  However I thought the plot was great, with the entire scheme being a takeover of the US government. 

Pretty much same view on that for me.

Reboot of this would be pretty easy,the film did not attain any 'definitive' status.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope