Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie  (Read 33424 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Makes you wonder if Mr. Windu was down there somewhere swimming around with him.   :D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Didn't they kill off Storm Shadow in the last movie?

Heck almost killed the whole Franchise and 40 year plus Toy line....

I am ok with the trailer.   I have guarded optimism.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2011, 03:26 PM »
If Boba Fett can survive a Sarlac, Mace could easily survive a throw from a thousand story building.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2011, 03:35 PM »

I am ok with the trailer.   I have guarded optimism.

The guarded optimism thing is making me nostalgic for each Prequal.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Didn't they kill off Storm Shadow in the last movie?

Post of the day!!

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Storm Shadow's survival appears to be very similar to the 80's comic storyline.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36 AM »
I will have to say, I was very disinterested in Jon Chu as a director when his resume up till "Retaliation" was Justin Bieber and a couple of "Step up" movies.  But hearing more and more about how he is a Joe Fan and his enthusiasm for it has won me over a bit.

I cringed every time during ROC the director and producers said they were going to "re-imagine" or "Twist" the joe Mythos.  Chu seemed to bring something from the 80's-90's era Joe that most of us know as much as possible.

So while I'm not expecting "Captain America" next summer, I am certainly not in fear of getting "Green Lantern"

Things I like in the Trailer:

Firefly
The Hiss Tank
The Water Mocassin
That they MAY have killed off Duke
Cobra Soldiers look like soldiers and not Alien-Zombies with Turtle Armor.
No lips on Snake Eyes

Things I'm not excited about:
Storm Shadow seems to have the same costume from ROC.  I want my ninjas looking like ninjas.
Too many ninjas
They are going for an R rating or so the rumor goes and I don't personally think an R rated movie BASED on a Toy line with figures to Support it is the best plan.
The Joes are on the Run... how many storylines in the Joe-verse can they possibly have that revovle around them being "outlaws" or "Hunted"?

But all in all I want to go see it, I want to buy the toys and I have something to look forward to during Summer blockbuster season.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Duke dead?  maybe - I was kinda thinking maybe he was captured (like Snake Eyes was shown) and Duke will not be showcased most of the movie because of it.

Maybe super sneaky Snake Eyes gets out of Cobra jail and then they save Duke at the end   ;D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I must have missed that part about Duke possibly getting offed....good move if so.  I don't like the actor and nothing about him is "Duke"

There were some cool looking vehicles in the trailer though - Cobra Whale perhaps ?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45 PM »
It was either interviews or ET, but they said that basically Roadblock, Flint and Lady Jaye were the only survivors of the desert assault.  Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part.

I like Duke as the Character, but again I like his filecard, Cartoon, Early Comic run persona.  Not the Devil's Due, IDW, ROC, Sigma Six, Renegades version. 

It is interesting that is sets up like the "Revenge of Cobra" cartoon run.  Duke and Scarlett step aside for Flint, Lady Jaye and Roadblock.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Agreed with what everyone is saying.  It is only a trailer so far, but it already looks worlds better than Rise of Cobra.  Granted, I didn't absolutely dislike everything about that movie - but overall it was sort of weak, and the "vibe" from this trailer seems a little more in line with what fans were hoping for (at least as far as the looks go and everything).  I'm cautiously optimistic.  As far as Duke being killed off, that's the first I had heard of it as well - although I've seen a lot of online chatter about it as well.  I'm not sure what I'd think of that.  On one hand, I'm not a fan of Channing Tatum necessarily (particularly in this part), but at the same time I do like the Duke character from the toons/toyline/comics and I'd hate to see him completely taken off the board in the movie-verse.  I wonder who will be playing Cobra Commander, and if the voice will be changed as well.  Haven't seen any mention of Destro yet either.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2011, 02:20 PM »
They are going for an R rating or so the rumor goes and I don't personally think an R rated movie BASED on a Toy line with figures to Support it is the best plan.

This is the first I've heard of this rumor, and not to be an a-hole but it's totally ridiculous. Hasbro and Paramount would never be dumb enough to go for an "R" rating on a movie based on kid's toys. That would alienate a key market for them. (Kids!) Joe 2 will probably be PG-13 like Transformers and Rise of Cobra.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Bruce Willis should have been cast as Duke from the onset with the first film... Duke is supposed to be tough with dry humor... I hope this movie is so good that it does what ROTS did for the Star Wars prequels.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Killing Duke is like killing off Optimus Prime, or Spock. Maybe the next one can be The Search for Duke.

Anyway has Beachead made it in the movies yet? He is my fave.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48 PM »
I agree with Sybeck...  change his character fine, but offing him is detrimental to it.  Actually I feel offing too many Joes is somewhat detrimental to the storyline since it doesn't jive with the series at all.

I like the trailer...  I can separate the movie enough, I just wish I'd get more of the toon in the movie.

Where was Firefly exactly because I just can't find the guy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77