Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie  (Read 33420 times)

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Isn't the movie already out overseas?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2012, 09:27 PM »
It may be unfair to Hasbro to call them out over this, I'm sure this was Paramount generated, but it being a Hasbro property, it seems like they would have had some type of input.

This had to have been a mutual decision between Paramount and Hasbro execs so I think it's perfectly fair to blame both groups. I really think the Battleship flop had a lot to do with this, and prompted both parties to aim for getting some Fast Five- type money in the spring rather than let Retaliation be moderately successful this summer.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Was talking with someone tonight that Hasbro doesn't have nearly as much control over this one as the last one...  I'm not so sure Hasbro had much of a say here, honestly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2012, 12:01 AM »
Just yesterday they announced the DVD/Blu-Ray release date of it.  :P

They really think by next March that it will do that much better? Media will be circling Retaliation like vultures, assuming it was held back because it was terrible.

This could be a huge blow to the GI JOE toy line's future, and I bet it's fate already had a lot riding on Retaliation.

Hasbro has to deal with that and what do about ATTACK OF THE CLONES tie-ins after this year's muddling response to The Phantom Menace.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2012, 12:26 AM »
I've seen the theory floated that Retaliation screened really terribly and the reason for the 3D conversion is to reshoot the crap as much as it is to shoot additional 3D scenes and then convert it.

The Rock tweeted "designing new scenes to enhance 3D" when a guy posted that he hoped 3D is worth the wait.  That kind of says to me that they need to fix something.

Don't know.

I do know this; it shouldn't be that hard to create a decent movie with characters and a history that's 30 years old.  There's so much story to pick and choose from whether it's cartoon or comic or action figure file cards.  There are nearly endless story ideas that could be adapted and modernized and crafted into a movie that pays homage to what came before while being different enough to be original and entertaining.

I'm generally disgusted with Hollywood anyway.  While I loved Avengers and The Hunger Games, my three favorite films so far this year are Haywire, John Carter and Act of Valor.  With the exception of John Carter, the other two weren't what I'd call big studio movies but they were all really good.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2012, 01:03 AM »
What I find screwed up is that it was announced for Blu-Ray in late September mere hours before this news dropped.

This move will only lose them money. The hype machine is in top gear, and this happens. Like it's a GI Joe fan's fault Battleship looked like one of the shittiest movies ever made.

I find it hard to believe Hasbro is just going along with this. They stand to lose so much money by the toys already being at retail for a movie that won't arrive for ten months. The stuff will be on closeout before then.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33 PM »
Maybe they had to put that Wayans guy in it?  >:D

But I can't see them killing off all these characters like Duke or Scarlett since they are major players in the story.  Ripcord is expendable. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:37 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Hasbro.....what happend?  They seem to be missing their mark on all 3 of their lines - well the big 3 that I'm still into at least.  And how could they (Paramount) make another crappy Joe movie!?  Granted everyone hates the TF movies, but they raked in tons of cash so why couldn't they make this work for Joe?  So much that they could have pulled from to really make a kick ass movie. 

Maybe there were too much NINJANINJA everything in this movie?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:47 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2012, 01:58 PM »
The TRU by my work put out their movie Joe stuff today.  Bought some cool stuff for my son, but this movie delay just sucks. 

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2012, 02:09 PM »
What kills me is that Battleship caused this.  Show of hands- who is surprised that this was stillborn at the box office?  Sheesh. 

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2012, 02:24 PM »
I don't know if that was it--at least, not the only thing.  General's Joes had a report from someone who saw the test screening and said it was terrible.  No character development, enormous plot holes, and various scenes and characters thrown together in a hodge podge of senseless sequencing.  The returns probably came back negative, and the studio figured it would be better to try and fix it than to let it tank.  Or, at very least, to enhance it with 3D to make sure that most of the people who only see it once will pay a $5 premium to see the piece of ****.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Wow.  I just don't understand how they can deliver something sub par with a franchise with the history of GI Joe.  I'd bet that there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of nerds (used affectionately) that could write an awesome script for this and do it for free.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2012, 11:46 AM »
They'll have a fun time un-killing-off a character.  It'll be like that movie in Futurama where they splice in random reaction shots of Calculon. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:55 AM by BillCable »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Wow.  I just don't understand how they can deliver something sub par with a franchise with the history of GI Joe.  I'd bet that there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of nerds (used affectionately) that could write an awesome script for this and do it for free.

This...seriously....wtf  ???
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN