Author Topic: Kids. Have them? Want them? Despise them?  (Read 10562 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Kids. Have them? Want them? Despise them?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2005, 02:00 PM »
We're still very much on the "no" side of the fence for now (after 4+ years of marriage), but if Travis keeps this up, I may be inclined to go home and knock the Mrs. up!  :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I may be inclined to go home and knock the Mrs. up!  :P

Too much information.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2005, 02:13 PM »

I come home from work and he's there to give me a hug - sure makes the ****** day at work go away real quick. 

My daughter turns five on Thursday ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2005, 02:15 PM »
We're still very much on the "no" side of the fence for now (after 4+ years of marriage), but if Travis keeps this up, I may be inclined to go home and knock the Mrs. up!  :P

Matt, your still in the honeymoon stage ;)  Give it a few years. My wife and I were together for 8 years before we had our first.  

Like everyone else mentioned.  You could never imagine life without your little one once you have one.  Its the hardest job you'll ever love.  And the most rewarding. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 02:17 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2005, 03:07 PM »
Matt, your still in the honeymoon stage ;)  Give it a few years. My wife and I were together for 8 years before we had our first.

Hell, I'm 34 now Jim.  I'll be shooting blanks soon!  :P

[DSJ]Too much information![/DSJ]

In all honesty though, we just really don't think we're ever going to want them.  Patty just turned 30, and I figured now that all of her friends were having kids, she'd finally change her mind and want some too.  But it never happened, and to the contrary, it seems to have actually just reinforced her desire not to have any.  We're just not "kid people".  I guess we're just missing that parental gene that most everyone else has...

Of course, everyone always tells us, just wait 'til Patty's biological clock starts ticking, and then you'll be toast!  ;)

We'll see.  Like I said, I'll likely be shooting blanks by then though...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2005, 03:20 PM »
My wife was 35 when Sydney was born.  Until around 33 4/5 she was adamant about not wanting kids.  You've still got time :P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2005, 03:26 PM »
 :)

Another reason to have kids, (a boy at least) is to carry on the family name.

I am the last one in my family tree to keep the name going - thank god I had a boy!

Just food for thought JediMac -  You may not have a choice!  ;)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2005, 03:26 PM »
My wife and I were married last August and we'll have our first baby, a boy, this June.  I'm looking forward to being a dad.  My dad was 32 when I was born.  I'll be 33 when my little guy is born.  

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Just make sure the protection you use actually works.  LOL!  My wife was off the pill one day and that was that.  We were going to try soon anyway but it still was a surprise. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2005, 04:03 PM »
Honeymoon baby, Jack?  That's cool.  Congrats, and good luck!

Just food for thought JediMac -  You may not have a choice!  ;)

Yeah, that thought makes me a tad nervous sometimes, but I don't think she'd ever do anything overly sneaky like that.  But maybe it's best to abstain from now on, just in case...  :P

We've actually recently discussed what we'd do if there was some kind of "accident", and we somehow mistakenly conceived, and I was quite surprised and startled to hear Patty say we'd be sticking with it and having (and keeping) the baby, since there must've been some type of intervening higher power that made it happen for a reason.  I guess I'm cool with that though.  I think...  Maybe.  Uh...  Where's Travis' first post at again?!?   :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2005, 04:44 PM »
We've actually recently discussed what we'd do if there was some kind of "accident", and we somehow mistakenly conceived, and I was quite surprised and startled to hear Patty say we'd be sticking with it and having (and keeping) the baby, since there must've been some type of intervening higher power that made it happen for a reason.  I guess I'm cool with that though.  I think...  Maybe.  Uh...  Where's Travis' first post at again?!?   :-X

You are (pardon the pun) screwed.  No offense and I highly doubt Patty would ever do anything sneaky (she's too old for that kind of crap), but geez, you're a guy, it's not like your opinion really matters anyway.  That sort of mentality is just so familiar since I've heard it all before from Jackie before she changed her mind about having kids.  It's just the first crack in the armor is all. 

It's not all bad Matt, it's just scary as hell. ;)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2005, 09:30 AM »
Honeymoon baby, Jack?  That's cool.  Congrats, and good luck!

Thanks.  It was sort of a honeymoon baby.  My wife was pregnant about a month after we were married.  I was glad to find out I'm not shooting blanks. 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2005, 10:13 AM »
My wife was convinced we were going to need fertility drugs and all that since her sister mis-carried twice and it took her sister a long time to get pregnant.  I guess some other cousins had problems like that.  Nope, one night without the pill and presto!  My little guys knew where to go.  Or at least one did :)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I have two daughters, 5 and 1 1/2. Every day I am reminded of the awsome responsability it is being a parent and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I look at it as my way of having some part in shaping the future of man-kind. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2005, 02:49 PM »
JediMAC,

I think you misconstrued my earlier post. 

My comment about "not having a choice" was in regards to carrying on the family name, not sabotage!