Author Topic: Kids. Have them? Want them? Despise them?  (Read 10561 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Kids. Have them? Want them? Despise them?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2003, 01:02 PM »
I am getting married in November.  We plan on having kids in a year or two.   I am much better with kids now probably because I am 29.  Back when I was in my teens and early twenties I certainly did not want a thing to do with having my own.  Now it seems like the natural thing to do.  I look forward to it.  I am sure there will be plenty of days when it gets tiring or insane but still think it will primarily be great.  It will probably end my Star Wars collecting for the most part.  Just saving  money for the wedding and honeymoon has.  Then it will be saving for a house and then the kids will take it all.  LOL!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2003, 06:25 PM »
Matt,
I have to clarify.  I'm not trying to suggest that Patty'c or CC's "biological clock" will be or is ticking.  I'm only suggesting that when my wife told me she wanted a kid, you could have pretty much knocked me over with a feather.  I was pleased but completely blown away.  Out of the blue.

I know that's not what you were saying Brent.  I didn't mean to make it sound like that.  We just hear that from a LOT of people is all...  Either that, or just that we'll just finally come to our senses with the realization some day that we've changed our minds all of the sudden, and are ready to join in with everyone else and have a family.  But I seriously doubt that'll ever happen...

And should you lose your mind (and money and beer) just remember they are a great way to justify the purchase of even more toys. ;)

Not if you don't plan to let your kids actually play with your "toys", it's not!   ;D   :-*  Couldn't you just picture this from my kids:

Sorry Daddy, I really tried to put Lobot right back in the same display spot.  Really, I did!  Please don't punish me again...   :P

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2003, 09:26 PM »
Have kids? No
Want kids? Absolutely not
Despise kids? Yes

I've never met a kid I liked. Kids get on my nerves, make me nervous, are too unpredictable and active, they're too needy and they remind me of human leeches. I also dont want kids because I know I'd be a sh!tty parent. I think its a pain in the ass to take care of the pets, much less a human being. What's weird is, because Im not a prick about it, or openly hateful towards kids, they actually cling to me and really like to be around me. Which makes me more nauseated.

Hell, I dont even want to get married. I really dont even want a girlfriend.

Holy crap, I've posted here over 400 times? My god, how time flies.......
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 09:30 PM by BigDumbWookiee »
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 09:46 PM »
How do you really feel Adam?   ;D   ;)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2003, 10:12 PM »
Well if you REALLY want to know........ ;)

I can only imagine, if I substituted at elementary schools, there probably wouldnt be a dry eye in the classroom. I pretty much despise about 95% of teenagers I meet as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, I probably hate more people than I like :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2003, 07:04 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it, I probably hate more people than I like :)

Same here.  

But I can't wait to have kids.  The wife knows it, my parents know it and anyone who asks will know it.  All the wife has to do is give me the word and it will be done  ;)  Hopefully within the next couple of years, we'll get started (or sooner).  

I even have toys for them already - four of the SW Playskool sets.  When I showed the wife, she just  ::) . I soon found out from one of her co-workers that she actually loves them and are one some of her favorite items in my collection.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Karma

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 08:58 AM »
Ive known since I was a teenager that I do not want to be a parent. I don't have much patience for children (especially brats or other badly-behaved kids) and am rather uncomfortable around them. I never know what to say or do with them. Perhaps it is because I did not grow up with kids younger than me around.  But I digress....

My husband and  I have been blissfully kid-free for 5 years, but ever since his sister had a baby this year, the subject keeps creeping into our conversations. I think he's changed his mind about kids, but knows I don't want any so he doesnt push the topic too hard.

Sometimes, after watching :"Adoption Story" or "Family Story" on the Discovery Channel,  I catch myself thinking, "How bad could it be?" and then I see the neighbor's uncontrollable, noisy and destructive brats and think, "That bad!"

I believe my biological clock is wired backwards.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2003, 01:38 PM »

Sometimes, after watching :"Adoption Story" or "Family Story" on the Discovery Channel,  I catch myself thinking, "How bad could it be?" and then I see the neighbor's uncontrollable, noisy and destructive brats and think, "That bad!"

Please pardon my arrogance, but you get the kids you make, so to speak.  If you never control them, reprimand, discipline or whatever, that's what you end up with.  Our daughter knows what she can and cannot get away with.  

Was out in Vancouver back in May visiting my sister, she of the two continuously chocolate powered daughters.  They're ok kids, but not what I consider well behaved and they whine and are horribly spoiled.  I was out with my daughter and my wife came a few days later.  I pretty much keep constant watch on my daughter (from a distance where possible, she does need to develop some independence, even at 3) and when she did something wrong (i.e. impolite, bad, rude, mean, etc.) I was pretty much on her immediately.  She gets a warning with an explanation and if it continues, punishment via taking away what she's playing with, going in the house, etc.  

As we're driving back from the park my sister says to me "so,you're the strict parent right?"  The answer was nope, I'm the laid back one ;D  I think she swallowed her gum.  

Anyway, the moral of the story is kids are hyper, do stupid annoying things and basically need to learn. That's called growing up.  Destructive, abusive and rude are not part of that process.  Ya get back what ya put into it.  

I think some of y'all are missing the point though ;)  Kids are great reasons to behave like a kid.  Go skipping, play on the slide or swings.  Play with action figures (Matt, buy three of each: one carded, one loose, mint complete and one for the kid - you get bonus weapons/accessories), watch Episode II over and over and over again, especially the arena scene ;D

IN case you can't tell, I'm real happy to have a kid.  Tons o work, but what a hoot!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 01:48 PM by JediMAC »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2003, 02:00 PM »
Play with action figures (Matt, buy three of each: one carded, one loose, mint complete and one for the kid - you get bonus weapons/accessories)

I usually do buy 3+ of each, with the extras going towards dioramas, army building, or future custom fodder.

If my kids (that I'll never have) wanted to play with some of my action figures, they can just go get a job and buy a set for themselves!  Who cares if they're under 10 years old!   :o   8)

BTW Brent, we'll have to teach you one of these days how to use the quote function here.   :P  Your text goes outside the quoted portion that you were using for Karma's quote, lest the entire post looks like a giant quote from Karen, and nothing from you...  See how that works?  I went ahead and fixed it for you above though...   :-*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 02:31 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2003, 03:08 PM »
I think people tend to forget they were once kids...
I totally agree w/ Morg kids are products of their enviroments. If they are let to be animals then that's how they'll act... their kids.

I admint that mine are spoiled and can act up... but they are kids and no matter how hard I try they will do that at times.

I know many more adults that act a helluva lot worse than some kids I have seen... and are far more spoiled than many kids I have seen. Kids are what makes this world keep on going... If we all just said screw this and got sterilized boy Mr. Planet Earth would die off a fast quick death huh...

Do we all realize we drove our parents nuts one at one time... and probably had the next man say look at that brat?

I wonder if some that hate children as much as they do are just that caught up in themselves... or have something inside that makes them feel as such...

I can see not wanting children... but hating? I hate many adults... but that is because adult has his or her own mind to know what they are doing...

Children can get annoying... hell I have experience w/ three of my own. You just have to realize that at the end of the day they are kids.

They are like Morg said a way to be a kid again yourself. You can act a fool w/ them, play in the backyard w/ your 100+ Stormtroopers, etc...

I love mine and will til the die I or they die... Whichever may come first...
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Good Lord...  15?!?   :o  This lady's insane.

Here's a few of the little buggers...

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2004, 10:37 PM »
been married 3 and a half years and still no kids for me.

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2004, 11:40 PM »
No, kids here.  I like kids a lot, even have a degree in early childhood education (that I don't really use).  I just have never really wanted any of my own.  I suppose if the situation were right, I might think about it.  But, right now, I don't see any children in my future except for my nieces and nephews who keep me more than busy.  

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 12:42 AM »

Kids suck.

('Cept my niece. . .)  :)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 10:09 AM »
Never wanted or liked kids when I was younger, but when I got into my 30s, something clicked and I started to actually like other people's kids and want some of my own. Now we have a 6-month old and the world is a different place because of it. I have absolutely no alone time (except for at work), no more sleeping in at all, and my worry level is at a constant high, but when I come home from work and I get that big toothless smile from our little girl, welcoming me home, those things seem like nothing.  :)

btw- Virex, your sig. quote is hilarious. I think I recognize that quote from a certain movie addict in this thread. It made me laugh then, and still makes me laugh now.