Author Topic: Republic Attack Shuttle  (Read 80300 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Republic Attack Shuttle
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Looks like this is confirmed  (on RS) as the next BMF type vehicle/playset.  Should be cool.  Toy Fair should show is more.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Republic Attack Shuttle
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:35 PM »
It certainly seemed likely that if Hasbro was going to make a new large vehicle that it would be from the Clone Wars.  And this particular vehicle has been featured enough that it seemed like a likely candidate.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:47 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. I can't wait to see pics at Toy Fair. It definitely fits the bill as an "aggressive" (or at least aggressive looking) vehicle. It should also have some neat features, so I'm excited.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:59 PM »
It's the right move. They can get repaints out of it too, which we should soon start to see for the AT-TE and Turbo Tank, great vehicles both. This should be a worthy successor.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Boo!  >:(

It's a flying taxi cab...how is that exciting? Ok, it's an armored flying taxi cab with guns. Still does nothing for me.

A shuttle is a means of conveyance for passengers. It's not a freaking assault vehicle. No matter how many bells and whistles they give this thing, it's a disappointing choice, IMO. The Bounty Hunter Assault ship could have been so much cooler.

I guess we can officially shovel dirt on the Twilight.

The funniest thing to me is how they refer to it in the press release as "the signature vehicle from the animated series" - I bet if you added up every second of screen time this thing has it would pale in comparison to any number of other vehicles. (Like the Republic Heavy Cruisers for example) I can't even recall a single episode where these were featured prominently.

That said, if this is their choice, I hope they do a good job with it, and I'll certainly buy it anyway. I just feel it lacks "zazz".
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Not surprised that this is the choice, as it was sort of the one we were thinking about since they said there would be a CW based "BMF" vehicle next year.  Could be pretty cool.  I like the ship on the show, but have been trying to cut back on non-OT vehicles as much as possible - but if it is as nicely done as the other big vehicles have been, it will be tough to pass.

I have to admit, I finally stopped and took a look at the LEGO version of that Bounty Hunter Assault ship that McMetal is mentioning, and although we haven't seen it on the show yet, it does look quite cool.  I look forward to (hopefully) seeing it on the show, and I'd probably be down for that vehicle if/when Hasbro made it.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Using Wookiepedia I looked at the number of episodes that the Twilight has appeared in versus the Republic Attack shuttles and as of now, they have 10 appearances each plus the movie. Keep in mind this doesn't count there being multiple Shuttles in one episode, but the last time the Twilight appeared in the series was the third episode of season 2. The shuttle was in as recently as episode 7 of this season.

I think it's safe to say that the ship has sailed for the opportunity (and probability) for the Twilight, which is too bad because it would have been a great way to kick off the large vehicle assortment when the series first debuted.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:28 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:26 PM »
I have to admit, I finally stopped and took a look at the LEGO version of that Bounty Hunter Assault ship that McMetal is mentioning, and although we haven't seen it on the show yet, it does look quite cool.  I look forward to (hopefully) seeing it on the show, and I'd probably be down for that vehicle if/when Hasbro made it.

The Halo was actually featured in season 2 in the "Bounty Hunters" episode.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:27 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 12:03 AM »
I think a Twilight was definitely a missed (so far) opportunity...  I think an Attack Shuttle has a coolness to it though, and if Hasbro cranks out something nice (it's a fairly small/cramped craft it seems), I'm into it.  I thinkk the Twilight's best hope was, as you said Jayson, the first season/launch of the line...  Though I'd miss the AT-TE, knowing how awesome it is itself now. 

Replace the TT with the Twilight, and I'm all for that ultimately, even though the Twilight's going to be grossly underscaled.  It's just a better vehicle ultimately, but maybe Hasbro was more worried about how the AT-TE, AT-AT, TT, etc., have a central theme to them where you sort of play around them...  The Falcon can have that too, but how much of the Falcon is also a collector/fan-wank?  Plus the Falcon is practically the posterchild vehicle for the entire saga, at least to many.

Anyway, the AT-AT, AT-TE, and TT, all sort of have this almost "playset" feel...  There's action going on around them that doesn't really require a kid holding onto another ship buzzing around, ya know?  Of course, that doens't jive with the Attack Shuttle's playability unless you're considering the "downed shuttle" factor I guess.

Anyway, cool ship.  Was neat to come back home and catch that when I got here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Glad to hear and I've always liked the design of this ship.  Heck - the Imperial Shuttle is still one of my favorites from the OT so I'm all for this.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51 PM »
In the article that confirmed it it says "it has two modes of play...as an attack-base playset, and a vehicle" so they are really goinfg for the BMF, TT, AT-TE vibe.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I am hoping this would come with a figure included as well then, ala the Turbo Tank. That would be a nice throw-in, especially something unique.

"Attack based playset" - hmmm. Maybe Hasbro is warming up to the idea?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:24 AM »
I am hoping this would come with a figure included as well then, ala the Turbo Tank. That would be a nice throw-in, especially something unique.

"Attack based playset" - hmmm. Maybe Hasbro is warming up to the idea?

Well, we're going to need a unique-deco pilot, right?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50 PM »
As a collector I'm not all that interested in this ship, but as a dad with little kids who love the playability of things like the Turbo Tank, I hope this is a kick-a$$ kids toy.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:05 PM »
We are talking about the "NU" Class attack shuttle right?

If so, then I'll be relatively excited for this. I think it's a great design, and a bolder take on the Imperial Shuttle.

Though...I'll likely wait for a mark down. I can't see this being a $100 toy. $60-80 to start yes.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010