Author Topic: Republic Attack Shuttle  (Read 80299 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Republic Attack Shuttle
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 08:35 PM »
While I understand that weathering paint opps can be expensive, they have done them effectively, and cheaply, in the past.  For instance, on the gunship there are no clean, hard lines.  Each edge has cuts and dings in it to show some wear and tear.  I'd be happy of they at least did that.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 11:28 PM »
I think a simple black wash would go a LONG way in highlighting the recessed areas of the ship's sculpt and things.  Too bad they're not going to do much for weathering anything I guess though.

Still, at least weathering it yourself isn't terribly hard if all you want to do is the simple wash...  That's at least one positive way to look at it I suppose.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 06:28 PM »
So where does the speeder bike launch from?   :P

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 05:53 PM »
This looks cool, but this is a difficult toy to figure out.  It looks like the back opens up and has some room for playable features, but when the wings go up they are going to cover the openings...

That's the same issue with the Shuttle Tyderium and it's not a big deal.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 6, 2011, 11:39 PM »
from seibertron.com

Yeah, for a second I thought it turned into a robot, too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: February 7, 2011, 01:54 AM »
So the text just basically says that it has lights and sounds, and goes from being a space ship to a battlestation, which was what we'd heard.  And I guess that's the battlestation, which looks kind of odd.  Reminds me of Starcom toys kind of and how some of them unfolded to like a battle platform deal.

Gives a September 2011 date too...  I thought maybe they'd try to get this out on shelves earlier, but I suppose the shelf-space will be tight.

I wonder if this is "it" for big stuff?  Or maybe we'll finally see that Vintage boxed BM Falcon...  I'm having a premonition, haha. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 7, 2011, 07:00 AM »
Premonitions... Premonitions?

Be careful when sensing the future Jesse.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 7, 2011, 09:36 AM »
September 2011?!?! :o

That better be the "Nuremberg Release Date"...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 7, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Huh...Well that's um different.  Not really sure what to think of the "playset" feature, but I still dig it as a shuttle.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 7, 2011, 11:23 AM »
I don't know what to think when I look at this thing. 

The ship really could benefit from some weathering, and the "playset" mode seems to have more of a Transformers feel to it than an actual playset. 

One one hand, I think it's great that they are giving us another bigger vehicle, and also trying to explore doing that to make some sort of playset... that's really good news in a way.  I know my kid would love this feature.

On the other hand, I just don't see this as the future of playsets, but that's coming from someone who wants to see diorama-esque scenes that look similar to what we see on film.  Sadly Hasbro has not gone down that road.

I think this ship will do okay at retail, depending on the price.  It had better not be more than $75.00 or I think it's doomed... I actually think $60.00 would be a better pricepoint but I don't know if I see that happening... and a September release?  I guess that's not too big of a surprise.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 7, 2011, 12:33 PM »
OK, so here I was rather excited to see that we would be getting a large version of the attack shuttle - its big, looks cool, could transport a platoon of clones, have lots of detail and features while conceivably keeping it real.  However, after seeing that catalogue picture, I'm now pretty much turned off by the whole playset-transformation thing and the vehicle itself.  Its really too cheesy for me and something many of the other large vehicles made to date didn't quite stoop to.  Granted some large vehicles are practically playsets in their own right - think the BMF or the AT-AT - but they remain within the context of the vehicle they are supposed to be and don't transform into something completely out of context. 

I guess this is just the realist in me coming out - I do primarily collect realistic military models and prefer the Star Wars items that more-or-less follow suit (and Hasbro has delivered many of those as of late). 

Nevertheless, I have to say that when all folded up, the Attack Shuttle still does look pretty cool 8)   
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: February 7, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I think the "playset" is really just their attempt at making it, like you said Tman, more like the BMF or AT-AT's playset type feel.  It doesn't have the same base to work with those vehicles have, and so I think this is just their effort to try that.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Another premonition...  $80.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #57 on: February 8, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I think the "playset" feature is to give it more playability for kids.  It is in the Clone Wars line which is geared towards kids afterall.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 8, 2011, 09:03 AM »
I am hoping we don't see this ship "transform" on the show in order to give the toy more "credibility"

ps - I am not feeling the playset form of this thing at all.  Maybe the presentation of it at Toy Fair will make it look better.  The early verdict from me on this is "pass"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 8, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I am hoping we don't see this ship "transform" on the show in order to give the toy more "credibility"

Funny, I was just thinking the exact opposite. This would be easier to stomach if the damn thing actually did any of that stuff in the show.

As it is now, it just seems kind of like a cheesy reach.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy