Author Topic: Republic Attack Shuttle  (Read 80293 times)

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Republic Attack Shuttle
« Reply #150 on: January 3, 2012, 01:33 PM »
I will be seriously surprised if there is a mid range or large vehicle for clone wars this year. The attack shuttle may have been our last Clone Wars vehicle offering.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 3, 2012, 04:01 PM »
I would agree, it's not the fact that it was CW that killed it.

The overwhelming consensus around the collecting forums seemed to indicate that most people didn't find this ship very appealing even before this hit retail -  most of us would have rather seen Hasbro put resources into items we see in the films (Sail Barge, Tantive IV, Death Star Playset)... or at least the Twilight, which is much more familiar than this ship.  Instead they probably took for granted that if something was clone trooper related, it would sell like hotcakes - kind of lazy if you ask me.

I've spent untold thousands of dollars on my collection since 1995, and had never even heard of this ship until pics came out of it being made.. It seems this was not a wise choice of a bigger item to be made when there are so many other things that collectors and kids would recognize, and say, "That's so iconic, I have to get it!"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: January 3, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't think a ROTJ Shuttle would've done any better...  What appeal is there?  The AT-AT was easily found, on sale, and in the vintage packaging that was much more rare ultimately and aimed squarely at collectors. 

It was (maybe arguably) much cooler than a shuttle, in just about every way, it had some cross-over appeal to Clones/Clone Wars I think...  more than a ROTJ Shuttle.

I just don't think a shuttle from a 30 y/o movie would've done well either.

But I do think the CW shuttle was a nice toy, it was just maybe a little overpriced (IMO anyway), and I agree it's from a series that is growing someone away from popularity I think, at this point.  Like Jeff mentioned elsewhere, Hasbro's turning its focus now to trying to recapture a different crowd...  I don't think they'll do it, but that's where they're heading for now.

The toon was on its way out, and that wasn't maybe a good ship choice.  I agree that even the Twilight, even that far removed from the series, would've been a better choice all around.  I don't know that something from the OT would've necessarilly knocked it out of the park though.  The AT-AT didn't seem to, and that was one of those, "we have to have it!" toys among the collecting world.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 3, 2012, 04:48 PM »
One thing that the AT-AT had going against it, was that a lot of people already had the old version.  Sure, the new version is so much better, but on more than one occasion I heard a parent in the toy aisle tell a kid, "You already have one of these."

So, I guess that argument could be said against the Imperial Shuttle from ROTJ too, but at least that thing was in the films and is very recognizeable.  It's pretty iconic and the design is a lot cooler than the Republic Attack Shuttle... which wasn't a bad toy, but for $80, if they had invested in a bigger ship rather than one that doubles as a goofy playset, it might have done better.

Did the fact that the show seems to be losing steam factor in to the demise in sales?  Maybe.  But I think it was more to do with people not even being familiar with this ship.  I also think something that appears in the films might have been better received - Palpatine's shuttle, in vintage packaging with a new crispy Anakin and a medical capsule?  Wow.  That would have rocked.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 04:51 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #154 on: January 3, 2012, 05:10 PM »
I also don't get any talk of how popular a Twilight would be...it was in what two or three episodes in season 1?  There is no way...I think you make some good points on the ROTJ Shuttle Jesse...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 3, 2012, 05:16 PM »
I also don't get any talk of how popular a Twilight would be...it was in what two or three episodes in season 1? 

I think the Twilight is more iconic, at least in CW terms.  Wasn't it in the premier that was in theaters too?

Personally, if both were on the shelf, and I could only get one, I'd get the Twilight.  I like the freighter look to it.  Plus I remember seeing it in the cartoons - I never watched anything past Season One, so I never saw the Republic Attack Shuttle.  If it was in Season One, I don't recall. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: January 3, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Yeah, don't get me wrong on the Twilight argument Scott...  It's a weak one.  I just think it would've been better than the shuttle they did. :)  But that shuttle had a lot ultimately, that should appeal to kids.

The Twilight was a focus in the movie, and you have to think the movie is still on kids minds, as far as this show goes being a toy driver...  I like to think the movie hooked most of the kids who support the show is all.  The Twilight's so far removed though, I don't honestly think it would've done well either.  It would've tanked too.  I can't think of anything that I can honestly say with a straight face that it would be a sure hit at retail.

I just look at the AT-AT, and it just seems like the ultimate shot at it...  in every way.  It had everything going for it from collector/adult support, to kid/Clone Wars support.  And while you cannot see the #'s, I cannot imagine that it was the hit they hoped for.  I got mine for $50, and albeit I'm the odd duck on something like this, I certainly wasn't the only one who waited.

I think that's the line in general though.  I think it's in a very weird spot, and I don't think the directions Hasbro keeps taking with it (pricehikes and otherwise) will right the ship.  I really feel, for some reason, like 2012 is going to be very telling about the longevity of this hobby because this is a pseudo-movie year, kind of unexpected, and if things don't change I just feel like it's really telling about the line's stability.

I got a wink wink nudge nudge comment about the big ship this year being a Separatist-based vehicle from TPM (or the Trade Federation, ultimately) but I'm waiting to see like everyone else.  I really hoped for a big Sith Infiltrator...  Again, how do you not go that route, when you know you're going to whore Maul all year long!?  Sure it has little screen time, but Maul's your big driving force.  I just don't see how you go another direction, but whatever.  Like the cartoon it seems like they still make confusing choices on that big ticket item they put so much on every year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #157 on: January 3, 2012, 07:36 PM »
This thread is trending toward of a state of the line type discussion, so I guess I'll add to that.  I agree with what everyone is saying.  The shuttle is perfectly good toy with no incentive for anyone to buy it.  Lucas doesn't support this stuff on the show.  That was true of the Turbo Tank, as well, which got a cameo before being blown to pieces.  Now, you can say he's not whoring the show out by making it an advertisement - and that's certainly true of a lot of the show's episodes (political cartoons belong in newspapers) - but there's no fantasy about the cartoon or SW franchise in general being a commercial entity.

2012 will speak volumes about the line.  I'm somewhat surprised - in a good way - by the scale at which Hasbro is approaching TPM.  I would have thought it would have been much more cautious.  Here's some vintage figures.  Some exclusives.  The size of this line is virtually to scale with what we got on May 3rd, 1999.  The production numbers won't be, but what did we get?  23ish figures?  That's more or less what we get here.  Same amount of little deluxe things - the same ones actually - and so on.  That's crazy.  If this doesn't go over, and I'm put it at 50-50, then the line as a whole faces some stark realities.  It's pricing itself into a collector line.  The cartoon is losing its heat.  A box office failure will probably ice any further 3-D releases, and the media engine goes out of the line.

Quick aside: Daryl DePriest suggested pretty strongly to me at NYCC that there would be a big ship next year, from Episiode 1, and it was not the Royal Starship or the Sith Infiltrator.  I asked specifically about the MTT, and got a wink and a nod response.  Not a confirmation of course, but very intriguing... I'd be all over one of those, but is it iconic?  Will it sell better than the shuttle?  Doubt it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 3, 2012, 09:39 PM »
2 or 3 years ago, Hasbro might have had an opportunity to produce a Twilight vehicle.  But the fact is that it was only in the feature film and a total of 9 CW episodes.  And the show has moved on with the Jedi using an assortment of starships.  For a little while I thought that the T-6 shuttle might make for a 3.75" system vehicle, but it's had even less screen time than the Twilight.

Looking at it now, the Twilight seemed like blatant attempt to incorporate some kind of smugglers starship into the show that would be along the lines of the Millenium Falcon.  I still like the design and how it was a bit like the B-Wing, but it's not iconic.

The Republic Attack Shuttle may have suffered for a couple of reasons.  First, it didn't really come into play directly with main characters in any significant capacity.  That association with a main character is a big deal when it comes to drawing in non-collectors, ie Parents.  A big mistake of the collecting community in these discussions is that we continue to underestimate the purchase power of parents.  And then there's the economy.  I know there were big sales numbers for online retail this year, but when I was in the malls and stores around Christmas time there were noticeably less people.

As for prospects for a big MTT?  Let's wait and see.  The thing is, if Hasbro really wants to capitalize on the TPM 3D release, then this thing needs to be out soon.  How soon?  How about next month.  It needs to be fresh in the minds of movie-goers and parents.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 3, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Interesting points by all...I do feel personally that it is not the responsibility of the show to prop up the toy line. Rather it is a failing on Hasbro's part that the toy selections are not in synch with the current media support.

Case in point: how many people remember those iconic appearances of Clone Commando Boss on the show? Right, me neither. But they decide to use one of the small handful of open figure slots for him next year? HUH?

I do wonder what the relationship between Hasbro and the show is like. Seems like they have a hard time getting enough advance intel to really keep the line fresh with what is happening on the show. Maybe they thought the RAS would have more of a presence but it never materialized, I don't know.

The Jedi T-6 Shuttle has long been on my Most Wanted List...one day maybe.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline ZevZev

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 4, 2012, 12:01 AM »
My $.02, this was the toy (of mine) that my son liked the most this year, but I wouldn't have bought it for anything more than I got it from Amazon for. Seeing as how hasbro wants to keep jacking prices up, I'm not sure how much more will get purchased this year unless it's on clearance...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 4, 2012, 10:34 AM »
As for prospects for a big MTT?  Let's wait and see.  The thing is, if Hasbro really wants to capitalize on the TPM 3D release, then this thing needs to be out soon.  How soon?  How about next month.  It needs to be fresh in the minds of movie-goers and parents.

I think that is true.  If that rumor does pan out, you know it will likely be for a fall/winter/holiday release, and I don't know if that will cut it.  A MTT would be neat, particularly to collectors, but I just don't know that parents or kids will care - especially that far out.  These 3D releases maybe stay in the theaters for three weeks to a month if they are really successful, but TPM 3D will be long forgotten after we've seen a summer of Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman, GI Joe, etc.  Kids and casual buyers will have moved on by then, and I doubt will be thinking much about TPM by Christmas time.  It is a different world than the one in 1999, where TPM was the biggest thing of the year (despite poor reviews/reception).

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 4, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Totally agree with you Nick and Brian.  I know it won't happen in time for the movie release, but *hoping* they're hiding something for that 01/30 street date that we've not seen.   Otherwise I can't see a big brown turd selling all to well in the fall...or whatever else they have plans for (if it's related to TPM)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 4, 2012, 11:20 AM »
A big mistake of the collecting community in these discussions is that we continue to underestimate the purchase power of parents. 

^ I would agree 100% with that.  The purchasing power of parents is something that we tend to not consider as often as we should.  A good example of that is when the Attack Shuttle went on sale at TRU for $65, it actually sold through fast at both my local TRU stores - and I saw parents grabbing them for probably the "big toy" under the Christmas tree.

For what it's worth, my 4 year old son loves my Attack Shuttle, I bought an extra on Amazon for $25 that I'm saving to give him if he starts trending toward Star Wars rather than GI JOE at some point.

I'd love to see the MTT personally... if they are saving it for a Spring release or something, that could be awesome and we all find out about it at Toy Fair... but waiting for the Fall, I just don't know... seems like a double edged sword.  It might be better timing for Hasbro if TPM was coming back out in theaters in late Summer... and if they do release it, they really should package it vintage style.  I think that packaging stands out so sharply.

On another note, they really need to find a way to either include some fold up battle droids with it, or some manner to allow for people to army build some battle droids on the cheap - $8-$10 figures to fill this thing up on a rack doesn't cut it.

It would also be cool if the back opened up and stored a small vehicle - maybe even a STAP.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 4, 2012, 11:50 AM »
If Hasbro is looking to release the MTT in August or September, they would have to try linking it to a TPM 3-D BluRay release.  From a promotional standpoint that might be their tie-in, or they may also try to link it to the launch of Clone Wars season 5.  So perhaps there will be some episode late in CW season 4 where MTT's are heavily featured.  Lucasfilm has a vested interest in Hasbro's success, so they could very well do something along these lines.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback