Author Topic: Building A Better Boba Fett  (Read 26961 times)

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Building A Better Boba Fett
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 11:24 AM »
GET ‘IM ON THE SHINS!!

There has always been a detail on all Boba Fett action figures that I really wish had been treated like any of his loose weapon accessories: The shin pocket tools .  I’ve honestly never really liked how the tools (and the pockets they were stored in), were always treated as a solid molded part of his lower leg sculpts.

Now when I embarked upon this project, I fully intended to include working shin pockets and separate tools details for my custom figure.  But I had no idea what I was in for.  I only partially succeeded in my effort  since it wasn’t really possible for me to create accurate versions of the tools in this scale, AND to have them all fit into working shin pockets that were not actually made of cloth.

In the end, I made a compromise between  screen accuracy and functionality that nevertheless preserved the established aesthetic of the figure.

I began by razoring out the two shin pockets that I intended to use on this figure.  Although the two pockets came from two different figures, I selected them because they were size-compatible with one another, and because they matched the main Imperial Scanning Crewman jumpsuit color.

POTJ 300th figure Boba Fett provided the left shin pocket, while Legacy Evolutions Fett provided the right one.

I carefully used my trusty razor to cut out the two solid shin pocket “blocks” into actual open pockets.  The pockets, in turn, were trimmed and glued to the figure’s shins.

As I set my sights on creating the shin tools, I attempted to utilize the sculpts that I found to be most accurate and detailed: Vintage Kenner Boba Fett.  I sliced out the portions of the tools that were sculpted to be visible on the figure’s legs, and I actually attempted to complete the un-seen portion of the tools either by scratch building, and or scratch sculpting them .  However, at this small a scale, that proved to be far more trouble than it was worth, especially since the preliminary full length tools I fashioned were far too long and would not fit into the pockets I had created.

My compromise ended up being to utilize the half shin tools sculpt from POTJ 300th Boba and SAGA I  Pit of Carkoon Fett, and scratch building just enough of the un-seen portion of the tools so that they could slip into the shin pockets.  I didn’t achieve the tiny separate tools accessories I hoped for,  BUT  at least I was able to do away with the solid molded shin pockets look which I disliked so much...  a compromise that I was reasonably satisfied with.

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 11:30 AM »
HELMET DETAILING

Sometimes the fine detail phase is fun.  And sometimes it is NOT.

Tonight, it was definitely NOT fun!

I worked to finalize the final details of Boba Fett’s helmet  and it was truly a tedious experience.

Using strip styrene, I re-created the raised ridge details at the back of the helmet  (which were lost during the cranial enlargement operation I performed three weeks ago).

I carefully measured the required size of the raised ridge and began assembling it off of the helmet.  I made 45 degree angled miter cuts at the corners to form the right angles on this raised detail.

Let’s just say that when the strips are this small, performing this operation accurately requires more that a few attempts.

When the square ridge detail had fully set, I painted it in the correct dull red.

While I waited for the paint to dry, I painted the rear bottom half of the helmet in dark green.

Using superglue, I carefully attached the assembled, painted ridge to the rear of the helmet.

My heart sank when I looked at the final raised ridge because I considered it to be too thick.  After all that work,  I knew I'd have to remove the ridge detail and start again with something much thinner than styrene strip.  CRAP!!!

I decided to come back to that later,

I next turned my attention to the helmet’s rangefinder.

I really felt like I needed to correct the rubbery, overly thick rod of the rangefinder into something that was thinner, cleaner, and stronger.

I actually used a single staple from a grapple gun, straightened it, and attached the rangefinder tip.  

Although this stalk length would have to be shortened by about 3 scale inches, I was nevertheless very pleased with its overall  slender metallic look once it was attached to the helmet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:33 AM by DARKLORD »

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Since the last update on this custom figure, the Working Shin Pockets with separate Shin tools (veneers) that I created were GREATLY reduced in their size.  They have been made MUCH MORE flush against the figure's shins since they were a bit too bulky before.  Yes, the removable tools are still veneers, but to my eyes they make such a huge difference in the final look of the figure when compared  to the molded pocket/shins look.

FINALIZING THE ARMOR

I needed to make all of Fett’s un-painted armor its final color. As usual, what I estimated to be a quick operation took me all night:

The collar armor, back armor plate (backpack mount), and crotch armor all needed their final paint job to match the torso armor plates (factory-painted at Hasbro).

The collar and back armor pieces needed prep by having the original factory paint carefully sanded off by hand. 

Next, I used the Hasbro painted torso armor pieces as color reference to mix the paint for the collar, back, and crotch armor.

Using my Valejo hobby paint set, I was able to mix up a VERY, VERY close duplication of the flat green for Boba’s armor.   

I loaded up my airbrush and went to work.

Once the newly painted armor pieces were dry, I placed them back onto the figure and checked their final color accuracy under a white light against the Hasbro factory painted torso armor pieces.

I drilled a tiny hole into the back of the collar armor  to accommodate Boba’s side cape, and cut the fastening lead of the cape into a very fine point. I applied some glue, and then inserted the cape into the hole in the armor.

I love how this photo demonstrates the preservation of this figure’s slender build despite the addition of the soft-goods flak vest and the torso armor pieces.

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:43 AM »
my camera was down for about a month, preventing me from documenting some of  my work on this figure.

I was therefore unable to document some progress steps that occurred during the camera’s repair time.

Since those updates on the figure will be evident in the photos that I’m about to post anyway, I will list what those updates were.

1)  The rangefinder on Boba’s helmet was shortened by about 2½  scale inches.
2)  The cheek stripes on the helmet were re-painted in the correct flat black.
3)  The T-visor on the helmet was re-painted in a darker shade of red.  (Note: this T-visor re-paint was something  that I was originally NOT planning to do .  But admittedly I did change my mind about the desirability of the “toyetic” bright red after I saw it contrasted against the new flat black cheek stripes.
4  The minor paint rubs on the utility belt have all been touched up.
5  The armored shoulder bell for Boba’s left shoulder has been re-painted in the correct canary yellow.  Knee pads and right armored shoulder bell have been left orange yellow.

Undoutedly, the most time-consuming operation I performed yesterday was converting the Imperial Scanning Trooper’s arm sleeves into Boba Fett’s correct double sleeve (sans arm mini pocket).

The first thing I did was to use an X-acto blade to carefully shave away the mini-pocket molded to the right arm.  I gave the area a fine sanding to smooth it off, and then I got to work  making the upper arm double sleeve.

I used some sewing thread to layout the edge of the upper sleeves by carefully gluing it down around the circumfrence of both arms.   Then, with my trusty razor (God, what would I do without that thing?) I re-sculpted the lower sleeve into a narrow taper that appears to emerge from underneath the upper sleeve.

The guide thread at the edge of each new upper sleeve is only TEMPORARY.  They will be replaced by micro-thin ribbon to simulate the sleeve cuffs.

Boba’s right arm weapon gauntlet features a clear power tube that tucks underneath his right arm upper sleeve.

I used a big needle to make a hole underneath the upper sleeve ridge that I created.  I then made a second hole in the coupling on the wrist weapon gauntlet. These would be the two connection points for the gauntlet’s power feed tube.

I looked around the house for a suitable item to use as the tube.  A tiny white / clear plastic binder on the bundle of new sox  that I just bought was something that I thought might do the trick.  In the end, I rejected it because it did not look like a tube to me, it seemed a bit small in its scale, and it did not have the flexibility I was hoping for.  It kept popping out of the sleeve connection point  every time I posed the figure’s elbow.

I knew I was going to need a far more flexible material to resolve that issue.

A frantic search ensued in my wife’s closet, and as luck would have it, I located a brand new cashmere sweater that my wife bought for herself.  The tag was still attached to the garment by a small clear rubber string!  Yes!! Back in business.!!!

I cut a fragment of the string and installed it on the figure.  The thicker size, the clarity, and the flexibility of the “tube” were all PERFECT!!

My next order of business was to add the straps for Boba’s armored knee pads.  A reasonably straight-forward operation.  I used some Plastruct strip styrene to create the straps and glued them into place behind the knees, making sure that the leg articulation was un-affected.

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Custom Boba as of January 9th, 2011,   7:30 AM:

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Coming up next:  properly-scaled WOOKIE SCALPS

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 01:02 PM »
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 10:19 PM »
LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A most clever response!!! I am gratified and flattered!!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 12:09 AM »
Damn you!!! I got to the end of the thread hoping for a final version, and now you're making me wait. You're so cruel!  :'(

This looks awesome...love the step-by-step. I can't wait to see the final version!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 4, 2011, 02:19 PM »
fantastic!  :o

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 09:16 AM »
I am blown away. Looking thought the tutorial was like reading a great novel, couldn't wait to get to the end.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."