Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 7  (Read 118538 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 7
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 09:15 PM »
That Fleet Trooper looked brilliant. I'd have to buy at least one or two out of sheer respect for its awesomeness. The accessories just seal the deal.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 11:41 PM »
Dare I say the most solid, awesome wave of 2011?  Yes I do.

Here's why...

Bespin Han Solo...  First you have your cool anchor, an all-new Bespin Han Solo.  Super articulated and FINALLY ditching that damn ball-jointed torso for something much better.  Looks like it'll be a good headsculpt though production shots will tell the tale on likeness. 

Getting the goggles is a nice plus, however if there's one gripe it's the thigh-strap...  Will Hasbro have one sculpted to the holster when the production figure arrives?  Right now there's nothing.  I'd rather that than the sculpted-on one to the thigh, however I'd most appreciate it attached to the holster.  I'm guessing the production figure WILL have it. 

Barris Offee...  Next you have your Jedi flavor of the month update, and it's a good one.  She's been the only arena Jedi besides Pablo Jill that needed a pretty decent upgrade, and they got her just right.  Outstanding.

Logray...  Now you've got your Ewok update.  Hasbro has steadily chipped away at these guys, and we're now getting one that's been almost as long as Wicket between new figures.  Teebo needs it more, but I suspect he'll get an update soon enough too.

Captain Fordo...  And then you get a clone, because every wave of every year gets a Clone now.  But you don't just get some random bull****, oh no.  You get the EU Captain Fordo from the ORIGINAL Clone Wars, and you get him with both brain buckets to boot?  Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price?  He's outstanding, and I love his gear.  Can't wait to add my two to the old Clone shelf, which is overflowing at this point.

Bom Vimdin...  Now you get your alien freak.  Every wave should have one of these guys too.  The random sideshow of the Cantina delivers another fantastic collector-figure, and this was my most wanted alien so I'm obviously especially happy to have him.

But...

Rebel Blockade Trooper...  Hasbro went pretty above and beyond on this guy, and yes I am accepting full credit for its greatness.  ;D  12 or 13 years of incessant bitching since Hasbro never did the original figures justice has finally paid off!  I can now basically quit the hobby with some level of peace.

So he sports an EU cap from (I believe) Rebellion (or Empire)?  I actually was going to do these myself, now I don't have to!  I even had the perfect cap lined up for them from a model kit.  Very nice Hasbro.  And he also rocks some EU Leg flares?  I can't quite place where RFT's wore the leg flares at, but I'm down with getting them for this trooper to wear anyway.  The blaster may be new, can't tell, and that's fine.  I like blaster upgrades.  The helmet looks like a more snug fit.  And lastly you get a scanner gun too?  Nice.  I was hoping for that.  The Pike then becomes just gravy.  I have about 90 of them but I'll take another dozen.

There are two issues...  The vest is non-removable, a step backwards from the last figure, but not one that'll make me care.  The extra bits kind of make up for it I think, as they're really unnecessary (well, the hat and leg things are anyway).  The other one, and I may just not be seeing it, but where's his holster at?  That seemed odd that it's not there.  I hope it's included as every Trooper had one on pretty much.

I'm loving this.  It's the best wave to me, and the RFT is the cream of this wave IMO, though I know Jeff leans towards old Han.  :)  Thanks for the RFT Hasbro...  Now when I review it, don't make me list how hard it is to find, or that it's now up to $10 a figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49 AM »
That Fleet Trooper looked brilliant. I'd have to buy at least one or two out of sheer respect for its awesomeness. The accessories just seal the deal.

This
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 09:38 AM »

Rebel Blockade Trooper...  Hasbro went pretty above and beyond on this guy, and yes I am accepting full credit for its greatness.  ;D  12 or 13 years of incessant bitching since Hasbro never did the original figures justice has finally paid off!  I can now basically quit the hobby with some level of peace.

I'm loving this.  It's the best wave to me, and the RFT is the cream of this wave IMO, though I know Jeff leans towards old Han.  :)  Thanks for the RFT Hasbro...  Now when I review it, don't make me list how hard it is to find, or that it's now up to $10 a figure.

I don't want to be "Debbie Downer" here but let's all tap the brakes for a minute....

Am I the only one that thinks this guy looks too tall? Like DST Tall?
Maybe Jeff or Rob could tell us if he seemed Vader-esque in his stature?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Jesse detailed this really well already, but I agree, it looks like the strongest wave of 2011 so far (and everything looks pretty good).  Sure, the Han alone could have sealed it for me, but like Jesse mentioned, it is such a nice break down for a wave.  One main character, a Jedi, a Clone, an army builder, an alien (Cantina or Jabba's Palace), and a POTF2 update.  That would be a decent template for most waves I think.  Can't wait.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Wow, I don't usually buy Han figures, but this one just looks so great! The Hoth Han is gonna look pretty lame right next to Bespin Han. Hasbro finally fixed the leg problem by giving him ball-joints!

A question - press release shots of Barriss Offee show her with a soft goods cloak. The displayed version shows her with a plastic cape - and it actually doesn't look half-bad, I actually hope that she comes with the plastic cloak. Has Hasbro said anything about which version will be released?
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 09:33 PM »
I believe Hasbro has said it's going to be plastic, not cloth, which I like the cloth one pictured too.  I'd rather they didn't replace that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Best wave of 2011 (so far). I think all the Hans (all films) are NOW done completely, maybe they will use this mold to redo ROTJ Han.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32 PM »
I think all the Hans (all films) are NOW done completely, maybe they will use this mold to redo ROTJ Han.

Done but not all correctly. (See Yavin Han)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 11:49 PM »

Love Bim!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 11:50 PM »

Is Fordo the first clone to sport a cloth Kama?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52 PM »

Here the Trooper doesn't look super duper tall...same height as Han maybe a little taller due to the bucket

I'll probably get 20 of these guys

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:14 AM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 12:03 AM »

Loving the new Logray, need to get a new Teebo and Lumat and the AT-ST jackers and I've had my fill of Ewoks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11 AM »

Never noticed the heart on the belt before...don't mind the mixture of plastic and cloth

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 02:53 AM »
I totally agree on the Rebel Trooper's height Scott.  I'd forgotten that possible issue, but he looks, if anything, a tad shorter than Han even since Han's actually in the background a short distance.  Now that you bring it up though, I think his height is going to be just fine.  I'm really getting pumped about picking up a decent army of him.  Wish I could've thanked Darryl in person for knocking out such a good figure. :)

One thing I love about Bom too is he has a rifle, for no real reason.  Love that.

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in Barriss Offee not coming with a cloth cloak.  I really wish they'd stuck with that, as I much prefer it, however it appears they sculpted it so it wouldn't interfere with the character's posing much at all, and so that's appreciated.  If that's the route they're going to go I like the effort to not make it obtrusive to playing with the figure.

Lumat needing resculpted...  Which one is he, exactly?  Or has he not had a modern update at all?  When it comes to the POTF Ewoks, I wind up getting confused because they were kind of generic ones, more or less.  And I agree totally on the AT-ST Hijackers.  As a matter of fact I'd really love seeing the AT-ST put out with an even better deco, specific to THAT AT-ST (it has some really specific blast marks on it), and maybe packing them and Chewbacca in.  They're probably my most wanted Ewoks, even ahead of Teebo getting redone (and boy howdy does he need it).

And on Fordo's Kama, he's actually the 2nd...  The Gelagrub Star Corps Trooper/rider actually was the first, for better or worse.  I actually like it, but there's something slightly off about it.