Author Topic: 2011 Saga Legends Figures  (Read 37075 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
2011 Saga Legends Figures
« on: February 2, 2011, 03:02 PM »
New Saga Legends Assortment

Some decent OT army builders in there (Stormtrooper, Spacetrooper, DST)
« Last Edit: February 2, 2011, 03:04 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Those three are a nice change but the rest makes for a very lousy case pack:

Old Mace Windu when the new one is shipping
Old Aankin when the new one is shipping (They could have released the current one without sith eyes)
SBD when he is shipping now
Crappy Rocket action Fett
Horrible ROTS Yoda
How about Tan Battle Droids?

The majority of the figures herein this case are currently rotting on pegs right now. I undertsand these are kid focused but they could have brought in a lot of collectors with a little effort.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Old Mace Windu when the new one is shipping
Old Aankin when the new one is shipping (They could have released the current one without sith eyes)
SBD when he is shipping now
Crappy Rocket action Fett
Horrible ROTS Yoda

And this is why the Saga Legends and TVC lines need to be folded together. It doesn't make sense to have nearly identical figures (SBD, Anakin) and sometimes inferior ones (Mace, Yoda) on the shelves as Saga Legends at the same time as the TVC releases. Maybe I'm looking at things through rose-tinted glasses, but I don't remember this kind of overlap during the 2007 TAC line or even the 2008 Legacy assortments.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Hasbro has some very questionable logic, that's for sure.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Hasbro has some very questionable logic, that's for sure.

Nah... they only have Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda competing against each other in THREE DIFFERENT LINES! Repack the TAC Obi/Ani/Yoda/Darth for vintage during year A, then update the figure and card for year B. Have a new Mace, Clone, and Battle Droid in year A, then repack them during year B. Fill out the rest of the line with new, collector oriented figures. Rotate/refresh the assortments every year for a mix of new characters, new updates, and plain old repaints/repacks. No need for one line with all repacks and another with some repacks and some new stuff.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Saga Legends Figures
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Death Star Trooper? Really? That's nice...except the figure kinda sucks.

Space Trooooper...will be hard to find.

Stormtrooper will probably be VOTC, meaning it'll look good but lack ball hips the worse looking Vintage figure has.

Super Battle Droid is odd, for a buck more you get retro card and a tiny pistol (also no stand/card and "secret weapons"...but). It would be hysterical if it was the Arena series version with ankle articulation.

Destroyer Droid...same old version...never got one...don't care, I never liked Destroyer Droids much.

Beau B. Fett, stock photo, they all are, no idea what they'll use.

SHould've kicked Windu out of the case, and had Snowtrooper in there.

Though, if nobody noticed, that is a CLONE TROOPERLESS Legends case. And that's surprising.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Nice to see the Space trooper make a comeback. I'm liking the OT army builders too, but thankfully I've got all I need/want. Only figures I'd really like to see make a comeback are the recent At-St driver from the Target set and the Shadow Bikerscout from the Comic-con set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2011, 08:40 PM »
It really is laughable to see how much character overlap there has been between the Vintage Collection and Saga Legends.  It really begs the question about whether or not the sales of those particular characters are SO strong that they need to be offered in multiple lines.

There are a couple of interesting offerings in this new wave.  The Death Star Trooper and Space Trooper immediately come to mind.  But everything else really leaves you scratching your head.  Especially since 9 out of 12 of these characters have been or will be offered in The Vintage Collection.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2011, 10:28 PM »
The only EU wave figure I ever saw was the Bespin Guard, so I'm hoping to at least find a single Spacetrooper.

And I gotta agree with the baffling logic of putting Windu, SBD, Yoda, etc. into Legends when there are much, much better (or in the case of the SBD the EXACT SAME) versions of the same figures in the Vintage line.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2011, 10:33 PM »
"I have a bad feeling about this."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2011, 03:12 AM »
I still never see the red battledroids.  Those should be more abundant I think...  But yeah, basically the same thing everyone else was saying about the figures competing with one another, and Hasbro sticking inferior sculpts/figures into the Legends assortment.

It's a shame, and I think if they kept Legends to maybe animated figures for a little while, and instead repacked some of these guys on vintage cards, I think they'd do better.

Like for Legends, you put out a CW Ani, Clones, etc.  For Vintage repacks you slipped in that Spacetrooper, and so on.  Just makes more sense.  Right now it seems like a recipe for disaster in every way except the Spacetrooper.  HE's the battledroid 2-pack...  The rest, meh.

Or at the very least don't put the f'n things out in the vintage line at the same time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2011, 09:05 AM »
I don't want to see any animated figures in that crap line. They already carry forward too many old TCW figures in the new animated case assortments. I don't think anyone is in a hurry to see more Space Helmet Anakins clogging the pegs.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2011, 09:45 AM »
I think carrying figures forward in TCW makes total sense, since it's on TV every week. Make one good Ani and one good Obi-Wan, and keep them on the pegs. Spend tooling money on the many, many new characters.  I think that Hasbro has handled TCW very well.

But jeez, as a business, why compete with yourself?  What mom or dad is going to buy the 10.00 Vinatge Mace and not the 8.00 Legends Mace.  It's total nonsense.

And...why not paint the DST grey?  Would it have killed them?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Pretty much agree with what everyone has said here.  Nice to see some more OT in the Legends line, particularly something like the Stormtrooper, which I've always thought should be as readily available as the Clones in this line.  People always want/need more Stormies, and it would even make a good option for kiddos (particularly around Christmas).

The overlap is getting a little ridiculous, that is for sure.  I think many to most of them could be folded into the Vintage Collection, or dropped altogether (the inferior and competing sculpts).  I don't think anyone would complain if they were packing Stormtroopers, Spacetroopers, Hoth Rebels, Snowtroopers, Biker Scouts, etc. into the Vintage waves.  Otherwise, dedicate the line (Legends) more fully to army builders or "ultimate" versions of the main characters that you want on the pegs all the time (the perfect place for VOTC/VTSC/Evolutions re-releases, as well as army builders).

As others mentioned, I think that the Clone Wars line has been handled pretty well.  I can see where it would be frustrating for those ordering cases, since there is often only a handful of "new" figures and a bunch of repacks, but for a primarily "kids" line, I think it works well.  I know our nephews each asked for one CW figure from us for Christmas, one Cad Bane and one Anakin.  It was surprising how difficult it was to find a Anakin figure at retail around here at Christmastime.  I could have found a Legends or maybe even Vintage collection version, but he wanted the animated one, and those were pretty well sold out at that time here.  Those big heroes/villains (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Grievous, etc.) should pretty much always be there for the kiddos I think, whether it is in the CW line, or if they switched them into the Legends assortment (making it animated re-releases as suggested already).

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2011, 10:41 AM »
I still never see the red battledroids.  Those should be more abundant I think...  But yeah, basically the same thing everyone else was saying about the figures competing with one another, and Hasbro sticking inferior sculpts/figures into the Legends assortment.

Shameless Plug: If you're looking for red SA BDs, I'm trying to sell eight sets of them... shoot me a PM if interested.

Now, regarding the overlap and such, I wouldn't mind seeing the Vintage line scaled back if it meant dropping the repacks, repaints, and upgrades. Instead of 8-11 new and slightly new figures per wave, I wouldn't mind 3 brand new figures, 2 or 3 upgrades/retools, and maybe one repaint. Make only two figures per wave "core" characters, and put the rest of the essentials in the SL line. If Hasbro wants to upgrade, let's say, Obi-Wan or a clone trooper, drop them from SL for that year and they can take the retool slots in the Vintage line.