Author Topic: The 2011 Mail-In Prototype Armor Boba Fett  (Read 91328 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The 2011 Mail-In Prototype Armor Boba Fett
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2011, 06:56 PM »
This is what they are stating now as part of the new revisement

Collect and save the UPC codes of any 5 figures from Hasbro's Vintage (97568 Asst.), Saga Legends (21115 Asst.) or The Clone Wars (94736 Asst.) Star Wars action figure collections

This...

Which is basically TVC figures, and Legends/CW on the blue/Shadow of the Darkside packaging.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Definitely gonna need help with some UPCs.  :-\

I'm gunning for about 3-4 of these for myself and I'll have plenty of TVC UPCs left over, hopefully more if new product hits en masse. Well, plenty = enough to help people fill in holes. I'll PM you soon with exact numbers.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Actually, I've heard the UPC's are scanned...  Not saying you're wrong Phruby since I really don't know much about how this stuff works, but I've heard they are put over scanners fairly quickly, not too dissimilar to how mail's scanned.

I say BS. One summer I worked at a place that processes mail in rebates. We pretty much accepted any UPC as long as it looked like it came from one of our products. We never scanned them or even checked a box in a computer that we received them. It was more important to get the check processed and the addressed entered in to the computer.

Besides, they already cashed my check and I sent them random UPCs that I didn't use from the last mail in. That is just bad customer service to complain the wrong UPCs were sent.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Actually, I've heard the UPC's are scanned...  Not saying you're wrong Phruby since I really don't know much about how this stuff works, but I've heard they are put over scanners fairly quickly, not too dissimilar to how mail's scanned.

I say BS. One summer I worked at a place that processes mail in rebates. We pretty much accepted any UPC as long as it looked like it came from one of our products. We never scanned them or even checked a box in a computer that we received them. It was more important to get the check processed and the addressed entered in to the computer.

Besides, they already cashed my check and I sent them random UPCs that I didn't use from the last mail in. That is just bad customer service to complain the wrong UPCs were sent.

And how long ago was that?  Companies have made major advances in the way they collect and utilize data in just the last 3-5 years.  I would not be remotely surprised to find that they are scanning these UPCs and attaching them to your name and address to build a database from. 

That said, I think you could probably get away with an older assortment or two, like the BAF or white carded Legends/CW.  These are still for sale at smaller retailers - I just saw a couple of cases of BAF at my local Cub Foods a week or two ago.  The average Joe doesn't know what assortment to use, and is Hasbro really going to turn down your check and risk pissing off a loyal consumer/bad PR? 

I have some BAF UPCs, so I'm going to test it out.  Unfortunately we won't know the results until I see a cashed check or some notification that my request was refused.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54 AM »
I think they're just trying to avoid the collector who has 1,000 POTF2 UPCs.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Or the people who thought that hanging onto all of those Jedi Master points would lead to something worthwhile?  ;D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2011, 12:51 PM »

That said, I think you could probably get away with an older assortment or two, like the BAF or white carded Legends/CW.  These are still for sale at smaller retailers - I just saw a couple of cases of BAF at my local Cub Foods a week or two ago.  The average Joe doesn't know what assortment to use, and is Hasbro really going to turn down your check and risk pissing off a loyal consumer/bad PR? 

I have some BAF UPCs, so I'm going to test it out.  Unfortunately we won't know the results until I see a cashed check or some notification that my request was refused.

I agree. The mom or dad buying the figures is not going to know the difference between these UPCs. They are just going to send whatever they have. A Star Wars figure is a Star Wars figure. Most non collectors don't know the difference. Hasbro is never going to turn down a good check.

Besides, my check was cashed yesterday. I remember one of them was a Princess Leia medical frigate and I sent them the original printed out form. They got to honor it.

I also don't think they would scan in every upc. It takes time and money to do this and yields no useful data. I mean if they did scan in all of those they would know that a tiny portion of the public bought a certain figure and happen to send them a upc instead of trashing it like the majority of toy buyers do. It doesn't make financial sense. They would lose money scanning those things with no real data gain. We are just paranoid enough to believe they would do such things. If you sent in something that looks completely different from what they are expecting they might reject it but the UPC between legacy and vintage look almost exactly the same.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2011, 01:03 PM »
I actually work in a research dept. And could use that data a dozen different ways.  They can link your location toyour collector or kid status and find out if collectors are buying just vintage or legends and ca and to what degree.  How many kids are buying vintage?  Does it say parent on it?  That would tell them what lines and quantity parents buy vs kids.  How many of each line gets redeemed during a contest to assign incrementality?  Companies pay for research like that...if they could collect it themselves thru something like this so much the better.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2011, 03:51 PM »
What Jman said about "How long ago was this?" was going to be my reply Paul...  I'm guessing this was a while ago and assume you're around my age or maybe a little older?

The USPS wasn't using these (or at least the same efficiency level) scanners when I was young either, and mail still came "unprocessed" to a lot of facilities where hand-sorting was still order of the day.  The scanners are very simple, and inexpensive (for what they do) in a way, and also can replace many employees that handle things like this.  I'd imagine big companies that do this stuff would invest in similar machines if it saves them anything, but who knows.  It's amazing what machines can do though, and I could easily see this be an automated thing anymore at these companies rather than an assembly line type deal.

I sent in Vinty's only so that's all I know.  I should be good on my first one and know what to send in for the 2nd.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2011, 05:49 PM »
It was a long time ago when I did that kind of thing. I guess technology has changed. I just don't see the benefit of each individual UPC. I see what they can do with the check boxes but the UPC I'm unconvinced.

The company that I worked for was kind of scam-type business. We ran a supermarket game. People would answer triva questions and send in a dollar to enter the contest. They would also include marketing information for us. We would grade the answers and send them another round with more triva questions. The processing fee would increase with each new game. If they got a question wrong, they were disqulified from winning but we never told them they were wrong. We just kept sending the next level of the game. The person that could answer all the questions correctly by end of ten rounds won. Very boiler room type operation. It payed well though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2011, 07:32 PM »
I think you guys can stop arguing about this since Phruby has said twice that they've cashed his check already.  It would be illegal for them to cash his check and then not honor the mail-a-way.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2011, 11:09 PM »
I think you guys can stop arguing about this since Phruby has said twice that they've cashed his check already.  It would be illegal for them to cash his check and then not honor the mail-a-way.

I think the debate had turned to whether or not they are scanning UPCs, not whether or not Phruby is going to get his mail-away.   ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Yeah that seems like a lock, thankfully. :)  Not sure if mine got cashed but I really hope so.  I want my boba.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2011, 11:48 AM »
So no more online order forms apparently.  :(  It's now saying "in-pack form required". You can print "sample forms"...which is like pointless. I guess Hasbro got swamped or greed took over.

I only printed out the early "incorrect" form.  :-\ Gives me an excuse to buy something new, yeah, that's it.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2011, 07:00 PM »
So what happens when retail doesn't get anything new for months?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks