Author Topic: The 2011 Mail-In Prototype Armor Boba Fett  (Read 91333 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The 2011 Mail-In Prototype Armor Boba Fett
« Reply #180 on: October 4, 2011, 11:25 AM »
40 is 40 more than I need or want, but it's cool seeing that many.  Looks like something you'd see at a convention or something!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 4, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Looks like something you'd see at a convention or something!

You wonder if they'd do something like that at NYCC?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #182 on: October 4, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I mailed away for 24 in one shot then 16 so that's how I was able to get the case. (20 per case the rest were in a large box.

BTW - The standard white mailer is very durable with extra cardboard inside to ensure safe arrival. They learned from Rocket Fett big time.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2011, 03:02 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 4, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I mailed away for 24 in one shot then 16 so that's how I was able to get the case. (20 per case the rest were in a large box.

BTW - The standard white mailer is very durable with extra cardboard inside to ensure safe arrival. They learned from Rocket Fett big time.

Do you just send them one package with a check  for all the figures or do you send these off individually?  I have always sent individual envelopes and checks, but would be nice to save a buck or two on postage.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #184 on: October 4, 2011, 08:14 PM »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #185 on: October 4, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Do you just send them one package with a check  for all the figures or do you send these off individually?  I have always sent individual envelopes and checks, but would be nice to save a buck or two on postage.

I sent 1 check, 1 order form, 1 Bag O' UPC's for 24 in a padded yellow envelope for my first order the day they offered the form. I got the case and an extra box of 4.

Waiting for the other 16. I sent them a week apart the exact same way. I am out of UPC's right now.

I planned way ahead for this and my intent was to flip them as fast as I can upon arrival. FYI - I got a lot of hate mail for selling them on eBay. Some people may call it scalping but I really do not give a rats ass, it means nothing to me. I made and took the risk on the investment and sold them openly in an honest setting on eBay, no one had to buy them. Some guys are charging $15 to ship them, that's robbery if you ask me. The first 22 I sold paid for my Vintage figures I purchased this year so the haters can throw all the stones they want. (BTW, my rant is not directed at anyone here, a bunch of scummers sent me some) The rest is gravy once I get the other 16. I am at a point if guys hate me for being smart about making the hobby pay for itself I will just stare at my collection with a wide smile and not think twice.

Once again, he is a great figure, mail away for him, pay $6.99 and have some patience. ;)
« Last Edit: October 4, 2011, 09:51 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 4, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Wow, better hope Dressel Rebel doesn't see your post.   :o 

I sent away for two of them - here's hoping they still have some left!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #187 on: October 4, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Wow, better hope Dressel Rebel doesn't see your post.   :o 

I sent away for two of them - here's hoping they still have some left!

I love DR and hope he is not mad but I make no apologies for my Capitalistic nature.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #188 on: October 4, 2011, 11:18 PM »
We'd prefer that, if you're going to go that route, just keep it off our boards is all...  It's not what the site's about, and if you want to on your own that's your business then.  Nobody's telling you "No!" here.  Just "Not here".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 5, 2011, 12:44 AM »
I planned way ahead for this and my intent was to flip them as fast as I can upon arrival. FYI - I got a lot of hate mail for selling them on eBay. Some people may call it scalping but I really do not give a rats ass, it means nothing to me. I made and took the risk on the investment and sold them openly in an honest setting on eBay, no one had to buy them. Some guys are charging $15 to ship them, that's robbery if you ask me. The first 22 I sold paid for my Vintage figures I purchased this year so the haters can throw all the stones they want. (BTW, my rant is not directed at anyone here, a bunch of scummers sent me some) The rest is gravy once I get the other 16. I am at a point if guys hate me for being smart about making the hobby pay for itself I will just stare at my collection with a wide smile and not think twice.

There is no winning with some people in the collecting community. I really don't understand the hate. Everyone has an equal chance of getting a White Boba (or 40) so I don't understand why people are bitching about you selling them on eBay. You didn't make the toy any more scarce, you didn't deprive anyone of the chance to pick one up, and it can be argued that you're selling them for below cost. The mail-away figures are definitely a different animal than the normal single figures, and IMO can't be fit into the whole "scalping" thing. I'm glad you were able to make the promotion work for you.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 5, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  I think some people have a philosophy that you should never make money off a collectible.  While  I don't really agree with snatching up hoardes of new figures at retail and selling them for 2x the price on a collectible site, I think people should be responsible enough to buy and sell at whatever price they want.  Why should anyone else be involved in what two people consent to for a price?  It's a little ridiculous to say that we should continuously shell out more and more money on annual mark-ups or pay 2-3x the regular price for exclusive figures, but on the flip side the collector should never ever make a few bucks if he decides to invest in extras or something he purchased ends up being more rare.  It's okay for multi-million dollar companies to make a few extra bucks, but not Joe Collector?

I also think people forget that this kind of behavior can actually help other collectors.  Some people are willing to pay more for help tracking things down.  I don't know how much you're asking, but let's say I don't open figures and can't get UPCs or a form without buying extra figures.  Assuming I could find the form, I'm out $50 in extra figures plus $7 to order the Fett.  If I were in that scenario, an offer from someone to ship it to me for $25 would really be appealing.  I've seen lots of people recommend buying figures by the case to ensure they get "rare" or "new" figures.  That could end up costing you $15 per figure instead of $10 or less...so, why is it okay to spend above retail if you're paying a company versus a collector? 

I get that the site is privately owned and I respect the desire to keep it scalper free - I really do.  I just think there are a lot of mixed messages here on gray areas.  Condoning a behavior you don't agree with, but telling people to just keep it quiet to save your appearance is really less respectable than banning higher prices all together.  I guess I'd rather see someone stand up for an opinion I totally disagree with than to tell me it's okay if I do something - just do it under the table.   :-\

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 5, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Always an interesting topic, couple of quick points:

1) RE: Selling on eBay versus scalping. I think the key thing here is the initial listing price. If you list the figure for more or less what it cost you, and let the bidding determine the value that's just free market economics, not gouging. If you were to list something for double or triple what it cost you, plus shipping etc, then that is sort of crossing the line into scalper territory IMO. For mail-away stuff it can be hard to determine what the initial value should be though, given the UPC aspect. So I think there can be some leeway there.

2) The only possible criticism I could see with some validity is that the mail-aways are limited edition items with a finite production run, so in theory buying them up in bulk could reduce the likelihood of an individual from sending in and getting their form redeemed. Not really sure where I come out on that.

3) I think it's the height of hypocrisy for any site, not singling anyone out honestly, to complain about "scalping" whatsoever when they have sponsors like Brian's Toys and other Dbag sites that were selling the SDCC sets for jacked up prices and things like that. Those guys are WAY worse than any individual scalpers roaming around out there, IMO. They have taken it to a whole new level. Just because they pay for advertising does not absolve them of the moral implications of what they are doing. They're scalping, plain and simple.

I don't have a problem with this stuff for the most part, there can be a good deal of grey area involved.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 5, 2011, 09:31 AM »
2) The only possible criticism I could see with some validity is that the mail-aways are limited edition items with a finite production run, so in theory buying them up in bulk could reduce the likelihood of an individual from sending in and getting their form redeemed. Not really sure where I come out on that.

I would agree that the "while supplies last" stipulation presents the idea of limited quantities, but for the past several promotions Hasbro has done additional runs on the toys to meet demand. I can't think of any instances where someone's check was returned due to a lack of figures. Hasbro would ever make an infinite supply of any mail away, but precedent has established that they will produce more to meet demand, especially if the promotion hasn't expired.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 5, 2011, 12:59 PM »
I sent 1 check, 1 order form, 1 Bag O' UPC's for 24 in a padded yellow envelope for my first order the day they offered the form. I got the case and an extra box of 4.

Wow - so that does work?

Did you include a letter or anything else with it indicating that you were bulk ordering 24? Or do you think they just figured it out based on the 120 UPCs and the check for $167.76?

I have only one "real" form now and I want ten of these - I already have my 50 UPCs, it would be great if I could just use the one form I have now...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #194 on: October 5, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Well, the only problem I have with you selling them, is that I was kind of hoping to see some pics of 24 white Boba Fetts posed ready for battle.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram