Author Topic: 2012 - "One EU Figure In Every Wave"  (Read 14451 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 - "One EU Figure In Every Wave"
« Reply #45 on: March 6, 2011, 10:47 AM »
It depends on the EU source whether I have any interest or not.

If it is OT based (right up to Han Solo and Princess Leia having kids) then I would be interested, but Prequel or Old Republic or NJO stuff it has zero interest for me.

But give me Shadows of the Empire, Truce at Bakura, Rogue/Wraith Squadron (Human characters only please), Splinter of the Mind's Eye, The Han Solo Trilogy, The Lando Trilogy,

I get the feeling that most EU-fanatics want obscure EU Alien-Jedi-Sith-Cyborg-Bounty Hunter-Half Naked Females, but I think some of the best choices to make EU work is the additional costumes/outfits that MAIN characters wear.

SoTE had Luke and Lando in Imperial Uniforms ( a new Chewie as Snoova would rock)
Tatooine Ghost has Leia as a Twilek and as a Stormtrooper and Han as a Devoronian
Some novel had Luke and Han as Tusken Raiders.

If the characters are done right it might make me have more interest in some of the source material though.  But for the most part if it is not in the Rebels (not necessarily New Republic) vs. Empire timeline, I will leave it on the shelf or more likely just trade it off when it comes in my cases ordered from Site Sponsors! 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 6, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I hope Hasbro has some more figures from the Legacy comic book series in the pipeline. There are a few more key characters that I'd love to see them produce before we get too far away from the series being over.

I also would love to see them update the Shadows of the Empire figures and for them to give us characters like Guri and Leebo to round out that story.

I know we're getting Bastilla 'cause she won the poll, I would still love to see them produce more characters from the Knights of the Old Republic series - I know that might be asking a lot since those games are getting kind old at this point.

And lastly, there were some great designs in The Force Unleashed II and I would love to see them give us a nice handful of them, not to mention that I'd still welcome a Kazdan Paratus from the first game as well.

There's lots of great EU stuff to choose from, I've left out The Thrawn Trilogy, NJO, Rogue Squadron or Dark Forces/Jedi Knight Games - but the one thing I hope they don't do - is dig into characters from the Marvel comics. There are some great stories there, but I could do without some more lollipop colored figures.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 6, 2011, 04:34 PM »
I wonder if Hasbro will continue the CP format at some point after 2012... they're releasing EU figures on Vintage cards, why not just return the CP line?
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 6, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Hasbro's been indicating that they would like to reintroduce the comic 2-pack concept at some point.  Whether or not they're going to hold onto some EU characters that were in development for that eventuality remains to be seen.  I was just looking through the EE exclusive comic 2-packs and there was supposed to be a set with Luke Skywalker in a white flightsuit and Han Solo from TESB.  And they also said that there's likely to be a Force Unleashed II multipack some time early in 2012.

As for the EU figures on TVC cards?  I think it's likely that Hasbro will play it relatively safe.  Jedi and Sith seem to sell well.  And some army builders, too. 

But I think they're likely to focus on core characters from a few sources, and they're going to do so somewhat thematically.  For instance, in TLC RED we got Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo and later this year comes Nom Anor.  This appears to be Hasbro's nod to the NJO.  It gives collectors a chance to group some characters together along a theme.  In the NJO's case it's 2 x heroes and 1 x villain.  This is a pattern we've seen before:  in the 30AC line we got both Darth Revan and Darth Malak in the same wave so that these two KOTOR characters might complement one another.

Based on this pattern, it seems like Hasbro is likely to either pair up EU characters or complement some previous offerings.  Bastila Shan is on the way.  Is she supposed to add on to the previous KOTOR game offerings?  Given what we've seen in the past that seems possibl, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we got another KOTOR game character.  The ones that immediately come to mind would be a Sith Trooper, Darth Bandon, Carth Onassi or *SOME* way of representing Revan as a Jedi.  I'd personally like to see Zaalbar or Master Vandar, but they seem like minor characters in comparison.

As for other EU character sources?  I think video games can be a pretty strong contender.  The ones that immediately come to mind would be from The Old Republic.  The cinematic trailer "Deceived" made a big splash, and I could see Hasbro trying to capitalize here.

Darth Malgus

Ven Zallow

Shae Viszla
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 7, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I wonder if Hasbro will continue the CP format at some point after 2012... they're releasing EU figures on Vintage cards, why not just return the CP line?

Because it failed.

Or was deemed a failure.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 7, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Yeah, it became a fail right when they raised the price from $10-12 and so forth.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #51 on: March 9, 2011, 04:10 PM »
It would be nice to finally get Guri and Leebo, and my much wanted Nomi Sunrider figure.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 9, 2011, 05:27 PM »
It would be nice to finally get Guri and Leebo, and my much wanted Nomi Sunrider figure.

Oh yeah - Nomi Sunrider! Now that we have an Ulic figure it would be great to get her.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2011, 11:55 AM »
I don't mind EU figures as long as they feel right in the universe. For instance Nera Dantels would look right at home in the Outlander club (and probably a KISS concert as well), and could also be displayed with the main characters. The Yuzhan Vong don't look right anywhere except in a diorama depicting their story arc. And since I don't like their story arc, I don't buy them.

The KOTOR figures have a very Star Wars-ey feel to them, so they could be filtered in to the various scenes. The Mandalorians in the Old Republic series look great, and would be excellent army builders.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2011, 03:26 PM »
I don't mind EU figures as long as they feel right in the universe. For instance Nera Dantels would look right at home in the Outlander club (and probably a KISS concert as well), and could also be displayed with the main characters. The Yuzhan Vong don't look right anywhere except in a diorama depicting their story arc. And since I don't like their story arc, I don't buy them.

The KOTOR figures have a very Star Wars-ey feel to them, so they could be filtered in to the various scenes. The Mandalorians in the Old Republic series look great, and would be excellent army builders.

I don’t understand why you want figures to fit into scenes that they weren't in.  I would rather have a figure that matches the proportions and characteristics of the storyline he came from.  Thrawn for example is a figure that I don't think really fits well with other figs.  Blue skin human in white military dress with a slime creature around his neck...not a great fit with most characters.  That said, he is a great likeness to the novels and comics and one of the more popular EU based figures.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Well, for instance I wouldn't put Dash Rendar in the Carbon Freeze scene or anything, but Thrawn looks okay (sans ysalmiri) standing at attention with the other admirals in my Imperial setup. Not exactly a scene per se, but more of a setup.

I do place EU figures in crowd scenes though. For instance, Cade Skywalker looks really good in the background of the Outlander scene. The female Skywalker from the McQuarrie series does as well. I placed Leia from the Xizor 2-pack in my Jabba's palace diorama, and she looks like just another dancer (this is mostly because she doesn't look like Leia). Talon Kaarde looks fine in the cantina, albeit in the background. I also placed Rohm Kota and the "good" version of Starkiller in my Jedi setup...they fit fine.

Some setups are pretty much scene-agnostic though. My Bounty Hunters setup has characters from the films and also from EU...and they all look pretty good.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I think I get what you mean Lando...  It's the age-old, "That looks really Star Wars-y" sentiment...  And I agree on a lot of EU.  I hate when it's so far out of the realm of what my Star Wars comfort zone is, and I lose a lot of interest at that point.  The Vong are definitely in that realm for me too, they really just don't fit IMO.

I like some EU, hate other stuff...  I like stuff that builds off what exists though.  Imperial Officers, REbel Pilots, Imperial weapons like the Darktrooper or Spacetrooper, characters that are EU but established already by the films as aliens, or look at least like they could've been in the Cantina and I just missed them...  That stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77