Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2011 Discussion  (Read 18333 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Defender Wishlists 2011 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 07:53 PM »
ROTS is heavily heavily milked and I struggle to come up with 10 figures to list.  I don't get Hasbro's infatuation with that movie but they just continue to pump out the figures.  I think they have totally overestimated the popularity of Clones and Commanders on Vintage cards but they still keep them coming.

Lots of Padme's here to be done too but I'm not as keen on her as EpI and II for some reason.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30 PM »
I think they overestimated the white Clone...  the others seem like they've done well though.  It's that white Clone that's a dismal failure, and ultimately he wasn't really even in the movie really...  Most of the Clones of any note were unique in either deco or whatnot.

The orange one has sold great here though, as did Cody...  I'm going to struggle to come up with 10 I want too though I'm sure.  I'm already thinking about it, and while I want some upgrades here and there, most of mine will be duplicates from my last year's list I'm sure.

I'd like to see more new CLone upgrades, but I could live without seeing the white trooper out again, ever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I was a bit surprised too by the CW list.  I didn't vote for Chewie etc. because of the obviousness of their eventual production.  The line is extremely predictable, which may be a good or bad thing.  I thought there might be more clones on it, since there a lot that have been passed over from all three seasons and still would make great figures.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 11:19 AM »
ROTS is heavily heavily milked and I struggle to come up with 10 figures to list.  I don't get Hasbro's infatuation with that movie but they just continue to pump out the figures.  I think they have totally overestimated the popularity of Clones and Commanders on Vintage cards but they still keep them coming.

Lots of Padme's here to be done too but I'm not as keen on her as EpI and II for some reason.

I get their fascination with it, to a degree.  It was hands down the best of the PT movies.  And it probably had the most action and lightsaber duels of any film.  That translates to a lot of play value, which is Hasbro's bread & butter.

And if you look at the PT toy lines, the ROTS line itself seemed to perform much better than the Episode I or Saga lines in their time.  So there seems to have been a track record of some success there.  Does that have something to do with the leadership in the Hasbro Star Wars team at the time of those releases?  Possibly.

For my own ROTS list I wound up going back to the characters I chose for last year's poll.  There is still some fertile ground for Hasbro to cover there, but probably not as much as some other movies.  I would put ROTS on par with TESB in terms of characters that need to be addressed.  There are very few at this point that from a collector's standpoint NEED to be touched upon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:20 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 11:46 AM »
I struggle to make a top 10 list out of the entire Prequel Trilogy that I would actually spend $10 on.  There are a few I would personally buy like Cliegg Lars, Padme Buns Style Hairdo, Naboo Pilot with a Coat, 2nd Utai, Anakin/Vader Medic Capsule, etc.  There are some variants that I would like to see like a Blue Magna Guard, Battle Damaged ROTS Kenobi, etc.  The others I would like seeing are stuff like the senators, podracers, Wookie resculpts, Kitster and Wald 2 pack, but I'm not dying for any of those.  If they end up making some then it's a bonus.  I may or may not buy them though.  I'd rather pay money on OT figures. 

Yeah, ROTS is a much more action-packed movie than the other 2.  I can see why Hasbro would focus on them.  The figures are more "action-oriented" from the moment of the Arena battle until the end of ROTS.  You got your Jedi, droids, and clonetroopers, plus the main characters to pick from there.  I get it.  I would still love to get an ultimate Darth Maul though.  I'm sure he is coming next year so why bother to vote on that?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 05:39 PM »
People voting for Pablo Jill do realize he is on the AOTC Poll (ahem Jesse)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Yeah I meant to fix that, d'oh!  :)

And those two are identical IMO, so I'm going to change that...  Not sure what yet though.  I was just thinking of someone and brainfarted on who it was.  D'oh D'oh!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Defender Wishlists 2011: A New Hope
« Reply #37 on: June 8, 2011, 08:14 PM »

5 )  Black Tuniced Imperial Officer (any of the ones who had lines in ANH would be nice, but Daine Jir is my personal favorite pick...  Dude talks back to Vader!)

Plus the humans were even in the Cantina, just hard to spot.

Daine Jir?  You mean like danger?  Ha!
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 08:15 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Defender Wishlists 2011: A New Hope
« Reply #38 on: June 9, 2011, 12:01 PM »

5 )  Black Tuniced Imperial Officer (any of the ones who had lines in ANH would be nice, but Daine Jir is my personal favorite pick...  Dude talks back to Vader!)

Plus the humans were even in the Cantina, just hard to spot.

Daine Jir?  You mean like danger?  Ha!

Daine Jir is his middle name, baby!

(I'm really hitting things at the height of their popularity there with an Austin Powers reference)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 9, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Damn, no love for the Imperial Security Bureau officers?  I would think Imperials that have never been done before would stand a chance.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16 AM »
I'm all for ISB officers being done...  Technically, Wulff Yularren is one, and I think he probably should have black pants instead of white, but I'd be all for a generic one as an army builder...

I'd just prefer it based on a very definitive Imperial Officer sculpt so a generic black suited Officer takes precedence...  From there I'm all in for any deco variation of that, that can be done.

It's like a Death Star Trooper/Imperial Naval Trooper to me...  I want them to crank out the Death Squad Commander first, and from there I'm wanting a 100% screen accurate Death Star Trooper like Paul listed.  It's one of the top Imperial army builders to me that hasn't been done right.  I like the 30AC figure as a stand-in, but it's nowhere near perfect.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27 AM »
To be honest, it was kind of tough to pick out 10 figures for the ANH list. Other than the Larses, I'm getting down to the REALLY obscure stuff in my personal wants, like Human Jabba and Han's girlfriend. I'd dig a lot of the army builders too... good call on the Security Bureau guys.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 02:39 AM »
With resculpts included though, I think ANH is one of the deepest pools around...

-Cantina Han...  Even just modifying the VOTC figure some would impress me I think.

-DSE Han...  Yeah we just got him, but he sucks IMO.

-Gunnerstation Luke...  A new head (or removable headset, which would be preferred IMO), and it's another figure knocked down.

-Ultimate Leia

-Ceremony Leia

-Ceremony Han (Still not right)

-Ceremony Luke (proper skin color, better headsculpt, proper pistol as well)

-Pilot Biggs

-Ultimate Stormtrooper

-Death Squad Commander

-Death Star Trooper

-Countless Imperial Troopers

-Chief Bast Redo

-Nabrun Leids

-Takeel

-Wuher

-Y-Wing Pilots (new and resculpts)

-X-Wing Pilots (new and resculpts)

-Rebel Yavin Officers

-Capt. Antilles

-Sandpeople Resculpt

-Owen

-Beru

And that's just to start...  I mean, there's a lot of stuff that could get updated to modern standards from the Cantina.  Is some of it tough to justify?  I think that varies I guess.  Malikili was tough to justify, but he's a hell of a better figure now...  It makes me think things like Ellors Madak, or whatnot, could really use a bump up in quality.

For brand new stuff it's tapped, but I can't think of many of the films that aren't down to oddities now, as far as totally new stuff goes.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2011: The Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 12:22 AM »
1.  Deleted Scene Bacta Mask Luke (with maskless head for regular scenes)

The extra head could be puckering to kiss the Hoth Leia.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Maybe...or issue the kissing Luke with a alt-headed Hoth Leia for a 2012 SDCC Sister-Kissing Exclusive.  :-X