Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2011 Discussion  (Read 18336 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Defender Wishlists 2011 Discussion
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:20 PM »
We'll be kicking off the 2011 Wishlists on Sunday...I'm as a giddy as a schoolgirl as it really is my favorite thing to do around here

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2011 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:29 PM »
We'll be kicking off the 2011 Wishlists on Sunday...I'm as a giddy as a schoolgirl as it really is my favorite thing to do around here

This is one of my favorites as well. Thanks in advance for hosting this, Scott!

Here's a question (since this is a discussion) I have: As the final three Imperial Dignitaries are annually on my list, I was just curious how others would want them done if Hasbro decided to make them. I know people hate salt-shaker figures, but I would hope that they have some consistency with the previous two already released (so as not to update 2 other figures).

Which leads to another question: Would people be happy with limited articulation for minor characters (such as the Dignitaries), who are only seen standing around?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:49 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Hooray!  Constantly imitated, but never duplicated. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16 PM »
I consider our wishlists "Vintage" and ones at OtHeR sites more like "Knock off" or POTF2.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:38 AM »
This is like my favorite time of year.   ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Man, two years in a row with NO TPM wishes filled.  There were rumors of a TPM wave this year but the 3D rerelease shifted things to 2012...I don't expect them to visit a lot of those wishes next year though either outside of Jar Jar and maybe the Pilot.  Long standing wishes like the Final Padme, the R5 units and the more obscure Podracers seem unlikely if they are going to relaunch with movie figures.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:21 PM »
At least they've updated Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but that still leaves updating of other important characters: 3-PO, Palps, Vallorum, Jar Jar, Boss Nass, Neimodians, etc. I'd love to see podracers, but that's because I'm a race fan anyway, but I agree that it seems unlikely that they'll be made and they won't be 2-packs, despite their small nature.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:25 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
I think we'll see Panaka and the Soldier get updates...  Army builders man, army builders.  Just not anytime soon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Why is Darth Maul not on more people's lists?  Is it just cuz he is so obvious and people are sure Hasbro will make an ultimate Maul?

I'd say its totally that...he's so close and there are other glaring holes in the TPM line

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:50 PM »
I must have a Ben Quadrineros figure.  I can understand how he hasn't been made after all this time, the character design would have made a viable figure impossible around the TPM release date.  But since then Hasbro has made great strides and I am confident that they now have the ability to craft one.  And they HAVE to make him, he is mentioned by name MULTIPLE times, and has a whole sequence practically to himself.  This is like not ever making the Rancor Keeper, or Boba Fett.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Why is Darth Maul not on more people's lists?  Is it just cuz he is so obvious and people are sure Hasbro will make an ultimate Maul?

I'd say its totally that...he's so close and there are other glaring holes in the TPM line

Agreed.  The Evolutions Darth Maul really brought the figure a long way towards being comparable to most other Jedi or Sith figures.  I'd still like to see an ultimate version of Darth Maul with lots of ball joints (shoulders, elbows, hips, knees & ankles), but that kind of treatment seems like a lower priority in the grand scheme of things.  That's why my own list didn't include Darth Maul.  And you kind of get the feeling that Hasbro will revisit him in time anyway.

My own wishlist had a variety of characters:  droids, pod racers, senators, characters with dialogue, and never before made versions of Queen Amidala.  I think there's still plenty of interesting ground to be covered with The Phantom Menace.  And that could very likely be addressed next year with the 3D release of Episode I. 

However, I think Hasbro has been a little gun-shy with Episode I in general.  Especially since that toy line wound up being such a HUGE presence at retail but took a really long time to sell off.  This has been discussed for a long time, and it seems as though Hasbro and Lucas Licensing may have both over-estimated the potential sales for Episode I merchandise.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Check out the JD Facebook page if you want a current top three for TPM :-*

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2011, 05:21 PM »
All I really want from TPM is an updated SA Jar Jar, Anakin, and Padme (either from the Theed Battle or the Tatooine disguise). That would hold me over for maybe a year or so.

It's still a little baffling to me that some of these characters haven't had figures made in over a decade, especially such important ones (your mileage may vary there  ;)).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 01:45 PM »
When's Phantom Menace finish?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Lots of late votes shifted results to almost exactly the same top 10 as last year for TPM...

Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine/Pod Race)
PK Droid
Ann and Tann Gella
C-3PO
Naboo Royal Guard

Were the next 5, and all 5 are deserving.  It will be interesting to see what Hasbro does with this next year and if any of those long standing wishes ever come to pass...

Mawhonic
Kitster/Wald
Tey How

Have been on the lists every single year we've done them...