Author Topic: SDCC "Revenge of the Jedi" Death Star Mega-Box Set  (Read 61729 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
SDCC "Revenge of the Jedi" Death Star Mega-Box Set
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Shown:

Luke Jedi
Slave Leia
B-Wing Pilot
TIE Pilot

And 8 more...slides say this is an on shelf deal...but I've heard SDCC set as well...waiting for clarification

Pic at Yakface
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:04 PM by Jeff »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Jedi Set
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:32 PM »
What a money grab!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:34 PM »
Yeah I'm not going to bite on this unless...they do something dumb and include something like Lumat or an Imperial Dignitary (and I could see them doing something that devious

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:37 PM »
 I think they are including a carded Salascious Crumb and Mouse Droid with the Death Star set at the Comic Con?  I don't know if I will have the funds at the time to get this stuff but it at least interests me.  I like the idea of putting Revenge of the Jedi cards out there myself.  I'm sure as hell not to be able to afford the real proof cards.  I like the idea myself.  Of course it's a money grab.  That's the name of the game!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Looks like the set will be:

Luke Skywalker (Jedi)
Princess Leia (Slave)
Artoo-Deeto (Sail Barge)
Darth Vader
B-Wing Pilot
Stormtrooper
Han Solo (Endor)
Admiral Ackbar
Wicket
TIE Fighter Pilot
Boba Fett
Endor Rebel Trooper

Whew...all repacks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Yeah this is a very easy pass for me. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:00 PM »
That's a mock-up. Obviously wrong figures on some cards there, can't make out the logos on them, either.

Wonder which B-Winger will they use? (WIll they do something crazy like use "Nien Nunb"...)

I'd be down for a Leia since I missed her. But it's gonna be a chase figure? Or is it just the revenge packaging chase?  Or  are the Revenge cards just for SDCC?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I believe the Revenge cards will be available at retail, but not in the big DS Boxed set.

That's the impression I've gotten.  They're not chases either I guess, just mixed in, but sort of making the repacks more appealing to some degree I would wager.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:23 PM »
So the only way to get Salacious Crumb and the Mouse Droid carded will be to get the Death Star Set.

That kinda sucks. The packaging is HUGE. Good luck getting them to put this item online so that people who can't travel to San Diego have a shot at it.

Did they give any indication on what it will cost? 12 Figures plus the bonus two little guys means the set has to be at least $120. (I would think)

To be honest, they've gone overboard this year with the SDCC exclusive.

I also don't understand the point, is it because in 1982 we were all told that EPVI was going to be called "Revenge of the Jedi"? I believe that's when the Star Wars fan club issued the red/black patches and the Bantha Tracks with the first look at Luke's outfit.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I so want this set! Basically for Salacious Crumb!!!!!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:33 PM »
It is kind of a neat display and idea, but if it is the SDCC exclusive, you're right, that thing can't be cheap to ship (or maybe put online at all).  May be a bit big for an exclusive, I can't imagine lugging too many of those around even if you could go to the show.

I've sort of been trying to keep up a carded collection of TVC (only the OT figures) and would like it just from the standpoint of having something like Slave Leia, TIE Pilot, or B-Wing Pilot on a vintage card.  I sort of wish they would use figures like those (as well as Luke/Han Stormtrooper and others we've mentioned before) when they need a repack to fill out a wave or keep the costs down.  I think many of those would sell pretty well like that, and it is something I'd like to see.  I won't be going to SDCC, and I can't imagine the price of this anyways, so I'll likely be passing, but it is a neat idea.  A smaller box-set style of something like 5 or 6 figures may have been more practical though if they wanted to go with something with multiple figures.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 05:56 PM »
that thing can't be cheap to ship (or maybe put online at all).  

I would not hold my breath hoping for the mega-box set to get to HTS.  The mega-box will be strictly limited to the actual show and will even be limited in number (they were still working out the edition size).  Also, klike someone else said, the Salacious Crumb and Mouse Droid mini-carded figures will only be available in the mega-box death star set.

The "Revenge" card figures themselves will be pretty much the same as the usual UGH idea, like the foil cards last year.  The single cards will be mixed into the waves 2-3 at a time - hard to find, but not impossible to find.

So, if you want the cards, you can buy them singly in the Fall.  If you want the mega-deathstar-package-box-set, make sure you get to SDCC early.

I also don't understand the point

The point is foil is played out. :P  They heard the "foil is lame" complaints and decided this was a better alternative to continue the UGH/chase card idea, but to abandon the lame foil/sticker ideas.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification Jeff.  I'm sure the Salacious and Mouse Droid things would be kind of neat, but it is a pass for me as well - even if it somehow did get to HTS.  I kind of like the idea of them being the "UGH" of 2011, if they want to have some sort of chase component.  I'd rather have these than the foil cardbacks I think, and it looks like they picked some nice figures to repack for the most part.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the figures are nice - either cool additions to the vintage (Slave Leia) os a nice way to tick off more Kenner cards (TIE Pilot, Evo B-Wing Pilot).

The mock-up in the showroom didn't ahve all the figures set yet though (just what they had on hand), so don't be surprised if it looks weird when you see the close-ups....
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I would not hold my breath hoping for the mega-box set to get to HTS.  The mega-box will be strictly limited to the actual show and will even be limited in number (they were still working out the edition size).  Also, klike someone else said, the Salacious Crumb and Mouse Droid mini-carded figures will only be available in the mega-box death star set.

The point is foil is played out. :P  They heard the "foil is lame" complaints and decided this was a better alternative to continue the UGH/chase card idea, but to abandon the lame foil/sticker ideas.

Thanks for the clarifications Jeff - not that I doubt you - but did they specifically say it will NOT be available online like previous SDCC exclusives have been or are you just speculating?

It seems rather ridiculous for this thing to be something that you pick up at the show, lug around and then figure out how to get home with you. It's almost as though they are forcing the issue for you to buy the item, bring with you packing supplies, package up the item and then ship it home yourself. Nevermind the fact that the ONLY way you'll ever get a TVC carded Salacious Crumb or Mouse Droid is in this pack, so if it's not online, they are essentially giving completist packaging collectors a huge F**K YOU for sticking with the line for the past 16 years.

Also if the foil idea is played out, here's an idea - how about just not having a UGH this coming fall? I think that's more welcome. The problem with this idea now is that while all of the figures are repacks, they'll be the only way you can get certain figures in the TVC packaging style - so figures like the B-Wing Pilot, TIE Pilot and Slave Leia will all be much more sought after than say Admiral Ackbar, Endor Capture Luke, or Endor Rebel Commando.

Here's hoping that SOMEHOW they figure out how to make this available online. Otherwise, I can already see myself paying double on ePay.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:32 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!