Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Armies of Middle Earth  (Read 17379 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Lord of the Rings: Armies of Middle Earth
« on: July 29, 2003, 10:38 AM »
I saw the Battering Ram set with Uruk Hai and the Catapult with more Uruks last night at Target.

I told myself time and time again that I cannot and will not like these because I don't have room

But holding them in my hands and inspecting them made me drool over the detail that Play Along has put into these little guys

Anyone seen the Helm's Deep Playset...OMG what a masterpiece that is

True too for the Balrog/Gandalf scene which may break me and make me get some of these

I may also just complete a set of the Fellowship and call it good.  Try and finish out the Toy Biz line with some key pieces and be done with it all

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings: Armies of Middle Earth
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 12:45 PM »
I said that same thing, Scott.  I have NO room for another line but I have a feeling when I see the Balrog I'll be moving the school pictures off the coffee table  ;).

Do you remember what the price is on the ones you found?
Have you spotted Eowyn (ROTK) yet?
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 12:55 PM »
There was no marker on the shelf and I didn't go to a scanner.

www.KBtoys.com has most of the sets in stock right now

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 10:03 PM »
Im having a hard time fighting the urge to buy these. The thing right now keeping me from getting them is the exclusive stuff (SDCC figure pack, Action Figure Express set, a figure from KBToys, and an upcoming TRU set). I dunno though, I may have to bite the bullet and get them...... If I do, it's bye bye Ninja Turtles :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 03:45 PM »
Ooh boy, I was tested today big time, the local Target had all of the three and deluxe packs today.  I didn't even look at them, couldn't do it because I know I would end up getting them :'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 10:47 AM »
I have been considering collect some LOTR figures, although I wasn't sure which line to go with, the Toy Biz one, or these new 3" scale figures.  Are any of you collecting/going to collect these?  Also, is there a good site online that provides information on this line, and what is coming, etc.?  I know there was a great LOTR toy site somewhere, but I can't remember the address now.  Also, does anyone know, is the KBToys deal the only was to get a Gollum figure in the 3" line?  Something about $40 purchase, free Gollum figure...  Anyways, thanks for any help or advice you might have on these toy lines.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 10:50 AM »
There are a couple of great LOTR Toy Sites Out There

The Green Dragon
Lord of the Rings Guide

LOTR Guide has some cool forums, GD has better news

I think you are right mosnab on the Gollum deal, only at KB and only if you order so much AOME stuff

I am passing for now...and probably will on all product.  My wife would be really ticked! :-*

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 10:54 AM »
Thanks for the links OCB, I searched and found the Green Dragon right after posting here, and I'm reading up on some of the stuff today.  I'm not sure my wife would be too pleased either, so I'm not sure if I will collect either line or not, but I would like to collect some of one or the other, not sure which yet.  I thought maybe since I'm just starting now, the 3" line might be easier.  But again, not sure if I can, I know I just picked up my first MOTU figure this week, and I'm not sure if the wife is overly fond of another toy line invading the house alongside Star Wars, and a handful of Marvel Legends :).  Thanks again for the links!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 09:21 PM »
Well, bye bye Ninja Turtles, and bye bye Matrix toys.....

I just crossed the line, made the big step, broke down, lost all willpower.....

I just ordered the Action Figure Xpress exclusive AOME Weathertop set. I figured if Im going to break into collecting these, I may as well start with a limited set.

I'll try to take pictures and review it once it arrives

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 11:18 PM »
They're making it pretty easy to avoid these up here.  $15 and tax for the basic 3 packs.  Way too much money.  

Which is good and bad.  The scale is nice and manageable to complete the set, but I'd be looking at over $200 or more to do so.  Forget it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2003, 12:08 AM »
I'm resisting the AOME line with all my willpower.

I just don't have the space (or the cash, really) to start another line.  I do like them and if they had come out sooner I would have picked them over Toy Biz (only because of space) but now... sigh.  

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2003, 04:23 PM »
Well, finally saw the three packs and animal/rider sets at Target today. These things are absolutely fantastic! Willpower now officially destroyed :) I came back and ordered from KB Toys.

By the way, spend $40.00 or more at kbtoys.com, and you get a free exclusive Gollum figure, as well as a Moria Orc (aka Goblins) three pack (a ten dollar value). You can also use the promotional code SEARSKBTOYS  to save an addition ten bucks :) I ordered the two scene sets today (Saruman's Chambers at Orthanc, and the Bridge of Kazad-Dum with Balrog). Depending on where you live, it basically equates to free tax and shipping when you use the code, along with the free figures! Very good deal!

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2003, 08:37 PM »
I have seen these at Target stores. They are neat but I am not sure if I will collect these or not. I did pick up Gandalf on Horse.

I think the RPG people will eat these up for their games. Other than that they are neat little display pieces.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 5, 2003, 09:40 PM »
I like them because of the size, its a great scale for big dioramas, it doesnt take up a lot of space, and Im a big fan of miniatures. I also wanted to collect a LOTR toy line, but absolutely hate the ToyBiz line (I dont like 6"+ figures, unless they are McFarlane "figures"). Plus, I always whine and moan about scale, so this line is also fairly top notch. The playsets are off, but I can live with it. Hopefully the line will be successful!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2003, 05:37 AM »
Man, a part of me wants to buy these up...  I have yet to see them though, but I wonder how they compare to 3.75" figures?

I'm thinking customs of really poseable versions of these figures using some of their existing pieces like headsculpts and weapons.  Hmmm....

They sound great.  I really probably should just ignore this though or I'm gonna be broke.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77