Author Topic: GI Joe Wave 1 Fall 2011  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
GI Joe Wave 1 Fall 2011
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:19 PM »
A Mixed wave...
Renegades:

And the "Regular" Joes

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Wave 1 Fall 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37 PM »
That purple viper looks hideous. Sorry to all of those who have fond memories of the original, but I think Hasbro should've stayed away from updating the crazy looking characters from the 80s. I'm not sure how I feel about the Renegades figures. Duke and Firefly look okay, but I'll have to see them in person before I buy them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Techno Vipers were a weird egg...  They looked different, but not horribly outlandish ultimately.  It was their gear that made them though.  It could've been a more trooper-like figure (the face scarf or whatever) and the gear.  The gear just made him look like he was ripping tanks open to get drivers out and stuff. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I didn't like Techo Vipers as a kid, thought they were cheesy... the purple color really looked silly and I hated the helmets.  But this new one actually intrigues me.  It seems they gave the helmet a more believable look, and the color for whatever reason doesn't bother me so much now... as much as I'd like to pass on this stuff, I can't help but buy more for my kid and myself.

At the very least, that's some awesome looking stuff for Star Wars customs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:33 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:14 AM »
I'm loving that Hazmat Viper.  He's like the Cobra version of Airtight (who needs a figure BTW).

The Joe stuff shown at Toy Fair were my favorite reveals - lots of great stuff - Sci Fi, Techno Viper, Haz Viper, Rock Viper, Steel Brigade, etc. are all on my want.  And even though I haven't bought one vehicle in this line due to space, I'm seriously thinking about getting that Starscream Skystriker just for the sheer novelty of it.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline NightVyper

• Youngling
  • KAboom!
    • View Profile
    • adamgracia.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I love the new Renegades Duke I plan on getting around 20 to use as Black Water Goons i am going to stack them with Marauders M4's and use them as a new guns for hire army.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:19 PM by NightVyper »
Left Blank For Symbolism.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35 PM »
That's a pretty good use for that Duke...  It has "Civilian Contractor" written all over it.

I was debating getting Renegades Duke too just to A) have a Duke figure in my collection and B) because he's indeed badass looking.  Far superior to any incarnation of Duke, ever, IMO.  This is what I'd expect my anti-terrorist leader to look like.  Not the smiling dick head from my childhood, who I always would wound immediately so that I didn't have to have Duke in any major situations.  Usually Doc was dragging his sorry ass off the field, complete with the million dollar smile.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Not the smiling dick head from my childhood, who I always would wound immediately so that I didn't have to have Duke in any major situations.  Usually Doc was dragging his sorry ass off the field, complete with the million dollar smile.  ::)

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22 PM »
The jungle Duke from POC is pretty badass.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26 AM »
I like the newest Duke, with the ridiculous pack-mounted guns.

The figure is badass but his accessories kind of blow.  Other than picking out a weapon or two, I really am at a loss with how to outfit him with other gear.  But I love the design of the figure and it's one of the best Duke headsculpts ever.

The Jungle version is pretty good also, but I like this one better.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:23 AM »
The jungle Duke from POC is pretty badass.

I thought he was ok, but a little over the top with the spiked Jersey Shore hair.  He looked like a casting reject from Tropic Thunder a little bit and that bugged me.  The design of the outfit's pretty badass though with the upside down machete thing and stuff.

The one with the mounted guns is cooler, and more what I picture Duke as.  But the Renegades version?  That's perfect to me.  That's Duke.

GIJ is really swaying me.  If I weren't getting into things so late and sure I'd want to army build as bad as I do Star Wars, I'd probably just say bye to SW **** and go GIJ.  :-\

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:49 AM »
If I weren't getting into things so late and sure I'd want to army build as bad as I do Star Wars, I'd probably just say bye to SW **** and go GIJ.  :-\

There have been a few times in the last 2 years or so that I've thought about dropping out of SW and taking up Joe full time.  Just can't seem to make that break. 

Hasbro still does some fun, interesting stuff in the Star Wars line, but we're at the point now that if I really sat down and put a list together, I'm thinking there are less than 10 total characters that would make my collection "complete."  Maybe another 10-20 characters that need upgraded figures, and that would be about it.  Hasbro will probably always find an obscure backgrounder that I wouldn't mind owning, but they're not always what I consider a must have, without them I still could feel like my collection was complete.  Like the upcomign Kithaba, for example.  If Hasbro never released him, I wouldn't miss him.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm missing out not having a Guri in my collection.  Same for Jariah Syn from the Legacy comic.

Joe, however, there are so many year's worth of toys I never collected that I could delve into that line and build a really focused collection from existing product while also buying a new figure here and there from the POC line.  I think that would be more fun than just chasing whatever "new" is coming down the pipe.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline NightVyper

• Youngling
  • KAboom!
    • View Profile
    • adamgracia.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:37 AM »
I really like Joe I have most of the 25th characters on display and extras of my favs.

@ Jesse if you army build this is the time to get into joe they just re did the cobra trooper and cobra viper two core troops for a cobra army. I have over 100 cobra troops from 25th (70 troops, 12 officers, 26 night watch) line so i will not go after them but i recommend going after Joes now if you are going to do it. there is a lot of great product out there and a lot more coming.

Star wars Is cool but i only like core stuff mostly imperial. I really want to get 4 more Target TLC Tie Fighters and 1 more TAC Tie Bomber, I just got 2 Slave 1's this week TSC and OTC. after my Imperial stuff i want to get a few rebel fighters and some odds and end battle packs oh and a good Leia.
Left Blank For Symbolism.

Offline Thrawn

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2011, 08:28 AM »
digging the Hazmet viper myself.  They are a lot of new figures on tap for Joe that will be getting more of my toy budget

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 3, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I like the newest Duke, with the ridiculous pack-mounted guns.

The figure is badass but his accessories kind of blow.  Other than picking out a weapon or two, I really am at a loss with how to outfit him with other gear.  But I love the design of the figure and it's one of the best Duke headsculpts ever.

The Jungle version is pretty good also, but I like this one better.

E...

Agreed... the figure is excellent and the extra big guns not so much,good sculpt and one I'll be getting.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope