Author Topic: SDCC Starscream/Cobra Commander  (Read 15560 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: SDCC Starscream/Cobra Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14 AM »
I personally would dig a one-seater since I think 2-seaters aren't common in modern fighters...  I could be wrong as I don't keep up with the current birds but I think having Goose with you doesn't fly these days... no pun intended.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:55 AM »
I don't believe the US has any currently active 2-seater fighter planes (not counting trainers).  I think people's only complaint, well, other than it's not accurate to the original release, is that the F-14 was a 2-seater so that makes it inaccurate to the plane itself, not just the toy.

I can see that point, and I don't disagree, but I'm not a hard core Joe collector so it doesn't bother me.  But, generally, I'm easy like that anyway.  That's why the new Clone Wars Attack Shuttle not seating 2 in the cockpit or that the ramp isn't big enough to stand figures on doesn't bother me either.  Or why I feel that people complaining about the BMF Falcon not having an open hallway from the cockpit to the play area are generally douchebags.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline NightVyper

• Youngling
  • KAboom!
    • View Profile
    • adamgracia.com
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33 AM »
i love the cobra commander but i cannot get into the jet.

Same here.  I'm not a big enough TF fan to really feel the need for something like this, but the Commander is cool.  I still think I'm going to get the regular Joe release of the Sky Striker, though.

E...

yeah I actually do like transformers a lot but it feels very wrong to me I don't know how to explain it. I am really excited about the normal one and would like around 3. I would prefer them being a 2 seater I am not sure what the deal is since it was kind of cluster poop with toyfair regarding the number of seats.
Left Blank For Symbolism.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 05:07 PM »
My reaction to their complaints about it not being a 2-seater then would be that an accurate F-14 would be much larger than the Skystriker is, so bitching about the seat numbers becomes a moot point. ;D 

I always looked at GIJ vehicles as mods of existing military hardware that were more expensive and advanced...  I mean, the skystriker (and other GIJ vehicles) always were doing things that were absurd compared to what the real-world counterpart could actually accomplish.  Rattlers were glorified A-10's...  You wouldn't see A10's and F14's dogfighting, so worrying about accuracy (to being one or two seater) with the Skystriker just hits me kind of funny I guess.  :)

Now the 1:18 guys...  They'd be throwing a canniption if it was a 1:18 F14 without two seats, but it'd make more sense to me I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 07:04 PM »
You make an interesting point, Jesse, most of the vehicles in the Joe line are complete fiction, or fictionized versions of real vehicles.  The F-14 Sky Striker is one of the few that are direct translations.  If they can buy the X-19 or Defiant then they shouldn't be too hard on the 1-seat Sky Striker.

But we all know how collectors are.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Some of the realistic designs out of the Joe team are surprisng.  Like the Mauler...  I had no idea it was a real tank that was prototyped and it's relatively accurate in size. 

The Skystriker thing, like I said about 2-seaters they're kind of "out" these days, so I personally like a one-seater, but like you said...  collectors.  And I can see their point from a nostalgia POV, but for me I look at the modern guys as improvements, and the vehicles similarly.  Loolk at the Vamp for instance.  That's neat to me...  It's nowhere in the ballpark of the original Vamps, but it's more along the lines of what I think the Joes should have.  I'd have probably altered the Skystriker a bit more than they did even.  Instead of the dual tail fins, maybe do one, etc. 

GIJ stuff to me though was always meant to be advanced...  superior to what the regular military would have.  Smaller jets that can do more acrobatic stuff with more advanced weapons, tanks that could make an Abrams look like a Stuart on the battlefield of today, trucks that ate Humvee's for breakfast and would lead the column of Humvee's with green shirts in them.  Green Shirts had to deal with the "old" hardware. ;)

Offline NightVyper

• Youngling
  • KAboom!
    • View Profile
    • adamgracia.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 08:53 PM »
I like green shirts they are like star treks red shirts, which is funny because you know they are going to die.

back on topic I could careless myself if it has one or two seats, tho i do think that if it is going out with the 30th line it should have two seats for accuracy.

But i believe it is going to have two seats. out side of one presentation slide with one seat every other picture shows 2. no matter I want the ace pilots for my New BBI f-16s anyway sporting that kick butt state of the art F-22 helmet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:13 PM by NightVyper »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12 AM »
But i believe it is going to have two seats. out side of one presentation slide with one seat every other picture shows 2.

The vehicle they had in the showroom had only one seat.  Plus I believe it was reported from the floor that Hasbro confirmed one seat.

E...

Offline NightVyper

• Youngling
  • KAboom!
    • View Profile
    • adamgracia.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38 AM »
thats cool with me i still want 3. they should look good next to my 2 conquest.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Has a price on this been announced?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 01:41 AM »
The MSRP in the press release is only $29.99 I believe.  I'm expecting it to be more like $34.99 in stores, though. The Night Raven started out at a ridiculous $39.99 originally so I don't know how Hasbro is going to get this out for $10 cheaper.  But, we'll see.  IMO it's a steal at $30.

Anyone remember what the Target exclusive Conquest sold for?

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34 AM »
The Night Raven started out at a ridiculous $39.99 originally so I don't know how Hasbro is going to get this out for $10 cheaper.  But, we'll see.  IMO it's a steal at $30.

No electronics in the Stryker.  I'm pretty sure the Screamer repaint will come in at $40+

Anyone remember what the Target exclusive Conquest sold for?

$24.99
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26 PM »
No electronics in the Stryker.  I'm pretty sure the Screamer repaint will come in at $40+

Ha!  I own the damn Night Raven and didn't even remember that it took batteries.  Or never paid attention.  It's been boxed and out of sight for a year.  I'm not a big fan of it, but now that there's a Sky Striker coming, I may hold on to it just to give my Cobra troops a fighting chance.

I would expect the SDCC exclusive to be $40+ also.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 01:35 PM »
TNI is reporting in their GI Joe Q&A that Hasbro is selling the Starscream SDCC set for $49.99 and "will" be available on HTS after the show.

For $50, if I can get one, I think I will.  I think it's pretty cool.

E...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 01:43 PM »
very good to hear this - especially the price - I thought it was shown at $80 before.  It says most exclusives will be available online - so I am hopeful for most of them   ;D