Author Topic: TVC The Phantom Menace thoughts  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
TVC The Phantom Menace thoughts
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:46 AM »
I know they push back TPM wave till 2012 for the release of the film next year. With the JD wishlist starting,   It makes me wonder if it will like last years ESB wave 1 with 11 - 12 figs from the same film ? I thought about it and I can only come up with 7 characters that they would do for sure.

Qui-Gon Jinn
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Darth Maul
Padme
Aurra Sing
Ratts Tryrell
Battle Droid

I know its a long way I just wanted others opinions
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:46 AM by Matt R. »

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: TVC The Phantom Menace thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:05 AM »
These are not "hero" characters but the Chancellor Valorum and Senator Palpatine offerings from the Ep.1 line need a refresh.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Pretty sure Kitster/Wald, Jar Jar, Aurra and Ratts were confirmed via Q&A and one point

My own personal strategy would be to release 3 waves for the movie launch and as I said in the Wishlist discussion I really doubt they totally go hog wild on bringing back the holes that are there character wise.

So, assuming waves of 8 I could see something like this (tiered for importance mixed when released):

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Rerelease)
Qui-Gon Jinn (Rerelease)
Battle Droid (Rerelease)
Darth Maul (Tweak of Evo)
Anakin Skywalker (Include Podracer Helmet, Tools and Backpack)
Padme Amidala (Battle Resculpt)
Darth Sidious (Rerelease)
Jar Jar Binks (New!)

Captain Panaka (New)
Sebulba (Rerelease)
Watto (Rerelease)
Yoda (Rerelease)
Boss Nass (New)
R2-D2 (Rerelease)
C-3PO (New)
Senator Palpatine (New)

Aurra Sing (New)
Ratts Tyrell/Ben-Quadinaros (New)
Kitster and Wald (New)
Tey How (New)
Twilek Massuesses (New)
Naboo Pilot (new)
Naboo Soldier (new)
Gungan Soldier (rerelease)

That list leaves out most of the major Jedi (mace, Eeth Koth, Ki Adi etc) podracers (ark roose, Elan Mak, boles roor, ebe etc etc) and senate (Valorum, Edcel Bar Gane, Toonbuck) and four longstanding JD wishes:

Mawhonic
Padme (Post Senate)
R5-A7
R5-X2

I did try and include 2009 Toy Fare wishes and long standing rumors

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Senator Palps needs a new update... being a major player.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection TPM
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I think they will come up with a new Queen Amidaala in that red dress with yellow light bulbs at the bottom of it.   

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:00 PM »
Hmmm... here's what I think they might do, because I don't know that they'd go all out and look for a huge push for TPM.  It might be too risky considering that film is by far the least popular.  I do think though that GOOD figures will sell even if they are of boring characters... so maybe they'll explore something beyond just a wave... I guess I could see one wave up front, then maybe trickle in some other figures in future waves.

WAVE ONE

1 - C-3PO (new)
2 - Darth Maul (new)
3 - Jar Jar Binks (new)
4 - Nute Gunary (new)
5 - Yoda (new/retool)
6 - Aurra Sing (new)
7 - Queen Amidala (Theed Battle, new)
8 - Anakin Skwalker (Tatooine garb, new)
9 - Battle Droid (repaint)
10 - Qui Gon Jinn (repack)
11 - Obi Wan Kenobi (repack)
12 - Gungan Warrior (repack)

WAVE FILLERS LATER ON

- any of the figures Scott mentioned

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:16 PM »
An upgraded Darth Maul is my #1 choice from this movie. He's always demanded by fans and collectors, so I'm really hoping we'll see him in the TVC line up. I was disappointed as it was that we didn't see an upgrade sooner on a TLC card.

Other than that, I could do with a Theed Battle Padme and Aurra Sing - I wouldn't really care if we got an all-new Jar Jar.

I wonder why Hasbro avoids TPM so much, when it seems that that film in particular still has so many character choices.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 05:38 AM »
I think the figures from the original episode I range don't really stand up to todays standards, on top of that I'm not really satisfied with the current Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Maul.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Maul I'd agree with, but I think Obi and Qui-Gon are pretty outstanding current figures...  They could maybe get extra hip joints or something, but overall I can't complain about either of those figures.  I'd be perfectly content if we never saw another update to those.

Maul, I'd like to see him get the super duper treatment someday.  Besides his arms needing updates, he's the kind of figure who really can use the ball-joint hips, and a full softgoods skirt instead of partially plastic.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Maul on the way? Let's hope the articulation issues are addressed and we get the ultimate version including a separating torso  :P

I'd also like to see him include his Tatooine cloak, wrist commlink, binoculars and a Sith probe droid. Too much to ask?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:27 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:42 PM »
I'd live without all the extras, only because we have them in one form or another...  I've kind of pilferred all that stuff and given it to the Evolutions Maul anyway, haha.  I'd be happy so long as his articulation is outstanding and his robes are all softgoods (and quality ones).

Extra gear is just going to be icing on the cake of any new Maul that may roll along, to me.  I won't turn my nose up at it though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09 AM »
My main problem with the current Qui Gon is the size of the head. It just seems really small and I think the likeness could be better. The sabre is a really old mould too.

While there are a lot of things I like about Obi Wan, particularly the overall sculpt, there's a few things that bug me about him. The braid doesn't look great, the cloth part of his tunic is a bad color match and the common problem with the ankle joints again. His clothes in general look a lot darker to me than they were in the film, particularly his pants.

I agree with your points about Maul Jesse, I'd add to that an upgraded sabre and a head sculpted with his mouth shut.

I think these characters, would benefit from hip articulation, if Kit Fisto's got it now, I think we'll eventually see these guys sport it as well.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Well it's about time, isn't it? I'm actually surprised a new Maul is being released before the TPM re-release. Cool that a new Jar-Jar is on the way, too.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"