Multimedia > The Original Trilogy

Are Luke and Han close friends or just teammates?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Matt:
If Shabby's fanfic artwork of Luke, Han, and Leia is any indication, Luke and Han are more than just teammates.  They are double teammates, if you know what I mean. 

Matt_Fury:
I always looked at it as they became good friends at the end of Star Wars and remained that way.  the novels would agree with me.

R5Don4:
Let me clarify the context of teammate.  More like the guys from Easy Company than the folks from The Office.  Don't forget Han is more than 10 years older than Luke & Leia.  Han has seen it all and is jaded, while Luke is inexperienced and trying to find his way in the world has latched onto the Rebellion as well as Remedial Jedi Training.  Han is more like an older brother to Luke.  Luke's best friend in the Rebellion was Biggs.  I just don't think in downtime Han and Luke would really find much common ground, but when they are on the job, they'd make great sacrifices. 
Also Leia I think is very wrapped up in the Rebellion and too busy to interact socially with either of them until RotJ.
Now I've only read the movie novels and none of the EU to support any of this, it's just my take.

JediJman:
I think it really depends on how much of the EU you buy into between ANH and ROTJ, as there's a lot of ground they cover together in the Marvel books.  They're together through much of those stories and rescue each other enough to be close friends by the end of Jedi. Even before the battle of Hoth, you can see Han's concern when Luke doesn't report in and his eagerness to make sure Luke is okay.

If you just go by the movies, I don't think they're really friends until the end of Jedi.  They've really just met in ANH despite the shared history and fighting together.  I'd say there's mutual respect and a bond, but being close friends probably takes more time. They spend most of the other two movies apart: Separated at Hoth, Luke goes off to Dagobah twice, Han is in carbonite for a chunk of time.  Even at Endor they really don't spend much time together.   

By the end of Jedi, they've each saved the other's life and their combined efforts (along with others) have taken out two death stars.  Han's even dating Luke's sister, so at that point, I'd say they're pretty close friends either way.

MikeT:
When Luke is lost in the ice storm on Hoth, Han instantly gears up to save him. When some guy warns Han that the temperature is dangerously low, Han exclaims "That's right! And my friend's out in it!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version