Author Topic: New Packaging for 3D Re-Releases  (Read 19412 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
New Packaging for 3D Re-Releases
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:17 PM »
We all know that the Vintage look will continue into early Spring 2012, but how about Summer 2012 for the TPM 3D release?  Why, it's a brand new look!  Nothing like getting a sneak peek at the packaging we'll be seeing 12+ months from now. :P 

Check it out from StarWars.com:

"2012 ushers in a return to the beginning of the Star Wars saga with Episode I in theaters. It seems only fitting, then, that the iconic Phantom Menace Sith Lord should land himself on product packaging spanning the entire Star Wars saga."

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:12 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New Packaging for 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Meh...I don't really care for it.  Nice throwback to Ep I though when that hits theatres again.  Maul sure does look pissed though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Just reading through that article at the Official Site, and it mentions this line look should start appearing on shelves "early next year".  I thought they mentioned at Toy Fair that the vintage line would continue "through 2012", so I figured lasting the entire year, or at least until Fall.  I wonder if that is not exactly the case, or I'm just reading it incorrectly.  I guess the new packaging is fine, but almost anything is going to pale to me next to the vintage packaging.  If nothing else, at least we'll get a good two years out of it, hopefully it will continue longer though.  If this starts off right away next year, they're missing a great chance to put out an ultimate Darth Maul on a vintage card though - I'm sure many people would like that.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:53 PM »
It's sharp looking and the card looks to be sturdy without too many annoying corners to get dinged and bother the carded folk.  I think they did a good job with respect to the general design, especially pulling in Maul as an icon on the cardback. 

As for spanning the entire Star Wars saga, um, I'm not so keen.  Maul didn't span the whole saga; hell, he didn't even make it through a whole movie.  I liked the Darth Maul character too and understand the popularity.  I also understand that Obi is too boring even though he spanned most of the saga.  Stormtrooper?  Nope, too many different early iterations.  Really the only thing you could practically go with is Vader, which I assume is 'tired'. 

I'm sure my general dislike for many aspects of the PT is coloring my views but I must say I find the notion of Maul as representative of the 'whole saga' to be humorous.  Didn't Greedo have just about as much screen time?  Ok, maybe not him but surely Jabba did, especially after the SEs came out.  Get the fat blob on a card.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Just reading through that article at the Official Site, and it mentions this line look should start appearing on shelves "early next year". 

Yeah, that's just the look in general though and not necessarily when Hasbro will go all in on this look.  For example, LEGO debuted the current "Dark Sky" blue packaging look on their stuff in Spring, but it took Hasbro until the Summer/Fall to debut it.  It could be that LEGO or puzzle makers or whoever else will start cranking out TPM stuff with that look first and Hasbro will get to it later.  Or not... who knows?

I thought they mentioned at Toy Fair that the vintage line would continue "through 2012", so I figured lasting the entire year, or at least until Fall. 

At TF, they were coy about how far into 2012 the Vintage stuff would go.  I'm sure we'll see some stuff in Spring 2012, but I don't think they had fully settled yet what they were going to do for Fall 2012.

I mean, for all we know, maybe the plan is to move the Legends line to the Vintage cardback?  Those would continue the Vintage look with repacks and greatest hits, while the new movie figures get the Maul card design?  Or maybe they decide to dump the Legends line and split the movie line - use the Maul card design for the TPM movie stuff and then continue to do the OT thing on the Vintage card alongside the movie stuff?

Until Hasbro offers up their comments/plans for LFL's new Maul card design, it's just a guessing game on how/when they are handling the switch...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:16 PM »
I think it'll be the same set up as we've had for a while. Vintage. Legends. Clone Wars. Clone Wars and non-vintage packaging stuff will all sport the "Maul look" just like the blue/red packaging with clones from 2008-2009 and blue/black "SOTDS" packaging with Rex for 2010-2011.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:17 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:17 PM »
That looks like an awful lot of plastic, I wonder if it will be trimmed down for production.

That motif is going to look kind of silly for the Clone Wars line though, IMHO. (Oppress arc or not)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:37 PM »
You have to imagine too what the focus is for the year...  Clone Wars will be taking a backseat to the theatrical release.  The line's look will lean more on what's being pushed the most by Lucasfilm more than anything.

Clone Wars will ultimately sort of fall secondary then, I'd imagine.

I don't mind the card...  It looks like maybe bigger/cooler accessories could return.  I like that, if it happens.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:39 PM »
Ok, maybe not him but surely Jabba did, especially after the SEs came out.  Get the fat blob on a card.   ;)

Ha! If only I had the resources to make a mock Jabba Collection card.

I dislike any character-theme packaging. Not even Vader makes it look good.

I bet vintage packaging ends by early next year. It's been a "treat" for fans, but I suspect the suits really want  a more unified brand look.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:20 PM »
They should have went with Sio-Bibble instead of Darth Maul. He represents EP1 so much better...

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 04:23 PM »
This reminds me of the old Ep1 cards just the blue and Maul's red face done seem to work for me. A black card with Maul's face would be better. At least the case is large again.

How about a greenish card with Boba's mug on it?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 04:59 PM »
I think it is for legends, and CW.  it is ok, I believe Maul is going to be in CW in the fall/next year, they hint that in the last part Savage Opress series and the re-release of TPM. makes sense to use Maul in the package

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Yeah, I don't mind the look for what it is (just not a spiffy as vintage).  Like Jeff and others mentioned, hard to say what Hasbro's lineup will be for sure regarding this - or what time it rolls out.  That being said, I could see them switching the "line look" up for each year with there being a new 3D release from 2012 to 2017 - pick a different "icon" representative for that year's movie to be the centerpiece of the line look.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 06:51 PM »
My fav package design was the Thirtieth Anniversary Collection aka TAC. I liked the die cuts and strong visual look they used.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 07:02 PM »
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope