Author Topic: New Packaging for 3D Re-Releases  (Read 19342 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New Packaging for 2012
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29 PM »
It looks like maybe bigger/cooler accessories could return.  I like that, if it happens.

I was thinking the same thing, but forgot to comment on my original post.  Maybe they'll try and compensate for the higher price?  Ya probably not...Might just be more room for those AWESOME BATTLE CARDS!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Stupid going back to artwork instead of photos. I blame the upcoming vintage collection EU figures for this.

(I'm kidding...I read the post at rabbleskum).

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07 PM »
I've seen quite a bit of panic regarding this packaging replacing the Vintage branding and I'm starting to understand why.

I've been to three different message boards and even though this new look will reportedly have zero impact on the beloved Vintage line, discussions are taking place in the Vintage forums rather than the Clone Wars or Saga Legends forums. It's pretty misleading.

Anyway, for anyone who thinks this packaging is early, it's actually later than usual. The 2010 look was officially revealed on StarWars.com in mid-January. The on-shelf date has typically been late-July/early-August but since LFL is pushing the 3-D release of Episode I, the on-shlef date has been bumped to January 2012. Makes perfect sense.

As for the look, I'm fine with it. Maul was a very overexposed character back in 1999 and 2000 and I certainly had my fill of him then but I can't think of a better character to represent The Phantom Menace.
Post sober.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I personally think the look is colorful and fresh, and, come on, really, Maul may have had so little screen time, but it's very clear that he's the face of TPM, and maybe Hasbro will exit out of this artwork phase once the re-release is out of theaters.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing this look transfer over to the realistic figure line after TVC is done. I wonder if they'll use a character from AOTC once AOTC makes it in theaters again.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I've seen quite a bit of panic regarding this packaging replacing the Vintage branding and I'm starting to understand why.

I've been to three different message boards and even though this new look will reportedly have zero impact on the beloved Vintage line, discussions are taking place in the Vintage forums rather than the Clone Wars or Saga Legends forums. It's pretty misleading.

I've been reading some of the posts on those otheR Sites as well and they are freaking hilarious. Some people are ready to slash their wrists over this news it seems. "I'm done with collecting!"  :D

I just saw the other photo mock-up for what I assume is either a BP box or mid-size vehicle package. Kind of odd looking with the clear window. I'm not losing any sleep over this news though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 09:51 PM »
...even though this new look will reportedly have zero impact on the beloved Vintage line, discussions are taking place in the Vintage forums rather than the Clone Wars or Saga Legends forums. It's pretty misleading..

I would have started the thread over in the Clone Wars section, but I wanted more than five people to read it...  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 09:55 PM »
...even though this new look will reportedly have zero impact on the beloved Vintage line, discussions are taking place in the Vintage forums rather than the Clone Wars or Saga Legends forums. It's pretty misleading..

I would have started the thread over in the Clone Wars section, but I wanted more than five people to read it...  :-X

LOL!

Hmmm.  2012 packaging?  TPM coming out in 3-D in May 2012?  Darth Maul on the packaging?  It certainly makes sense to me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 11:35 PM »
I don´t think Maul deserves too much predominance on the collection, besides there are few variants of this character
his card portrait is only justified on ep1 releases, but I insist, he is not a character to epitomize the whole saga, rather portrait Yoda, whatever version of him, or classic Obi Wan.

It´s good to read the vintage line will continue with the same packaging, only varying the photo of the correspondent character.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:37 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 07:13 AM »
There is a scenario that everyone is overlooking...

Hasbro said that the Vintage line will be continuing through at least 2012.

They didn't specifically say that Ep1 figures coming out in 2012 would be on Vintage cards. They just indicated that the delayed Ep1 wave would be coming out in 2012.

What could be happening is that those Ep1 figures are coming out in this style packaging and any new realistic figures coming out from EP2 - EP6 will remain on Vintage style cardbacks.

In 2013 when they re-release EP2, any characters from AOTC will be released on an AOTC themed cardback and figures from EP1; EP3-EP6 will be on Vintage cards. etc....

So each year an episode is released, it is excluded from the Vintage line and a dedicated sub-line to that movie that's two or three waves worth of figures is released that year in support of the re-release.

That would make the most sense to me. Would I be disappointed? Sure, I was really hoping to see any and all future realistic figures continue to be issued on Vintage style cardbacks, but I know that actually happening was very un-realistic (no pun intended)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Sweet.  Looking forward to hunting for these with $6/gallon gas and $12.99 MSRP figures.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13 AM »
I'd be let down if we don't see TPM figures on vintage cards this year or next.  If vintage is continuing through 2012, you'd have to think we will.  It would be silly not to attach every product segment to the movie release.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Sweet.  Looking forward to hunting for these with $6/gallon gas and $12.99 MSRP figures.

You got it wrong. Hasbro doesn't just mean that packaging is for 2012, $20.12 is also the MSRP. (TRU will charge $21.99)  :P

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 04:00 PM »
They didn't specifically say that Ep1 figures coming out in 2012 would be on Vintage cards. They just indicated that the delayed Ep1 wave would be coming out in 2012.

Oh yeah, huh... and on top of that, Hasbro doesn't do the movie-themed waves anymore in TVC. I think you're right that the TPM wave will be released in it's entirety on the new Maul packaging, and then the transition will go back to TVC.

OR, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen, the TVC wave released before the delayed TPM wave could be the very last wave of TVC, and we'll start seeing realistic figures on this new packaging, being that TVC is set to end in 2012.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 07:58 PM »

Shoot, you may as well have just stuck it in the Minnesota section.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Maul just grabs your attention.  It's a good design approach to go with him IMO.  The only stuff I keep carded nowadays is vintage unless it's truly something unique or a bit rare like say Sandtrooper on the Freeze Frame cardback but that was over a decade ago.