Author Topic: Ree Yees  (Read 18568 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Ree Yees
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
Re: Ree Yees
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50 PM »
vintage version appears to wear a lighter suit, cause the body is slimmer. Perhaps the big head made the figure very naive, but still interesting. The divisions of the back of the hand are more marked on vinty Ree-yees, he only lacks the stripe on both sides of pants.
As some details improved on potf2 version, Hasbro missed the chance to paint white or gray  the point of the boots.
Vintage versions  frequently had this paint job pattern: they painted the sections of a limb: bracelets, boots, of the torso like belts, but only the front part of that isolated section and omitted to paint the borders. (This is a detail that Gentle Giant Jumbo classic vintage figures is correcting)

On vinty Ree-Yees: The knee pads are painted on the front but omitted the borders (also in the front part of them)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Creepy character, possibly the only Star Wars character that can literally rape someone with his eyes. Okay, that's sick.

I never owned the POTF2 one. He was part of the scarce wave that killed me as a potf2 completist.

A new one should have the ability to raise his glass (a must include accessory) to his mouth, since the dude was a pathetic drunkard.

On a griping note, why did they tinker with his species in the prequels and someone decided that Ree Yees here has mutant hands?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Ree Yees can just join the plethora of PT characters that Lucas decided to **** on...  I think Rodians are maybe the only ones who escaped unharmed.  I was more annoyed with the extra eyes on Walrusmen.

I never owned Ree Yees as a kid...  He was in my "I like GI Joe now" phase, and so he was very uninteresting in that regard.  I did like him in ROTJ though, and how he was basically the overly loud guy at the party who drank too much and embarassed himself.  I guarantee he wakes up with his pants all wet at Jabba's Palace, and all the rest laugh at him, or he's the guy known for ruining the bathrooms after a night of hard partying.

And that even carried over to EU where Grans were just kind of thuggish brutes.

The vintage figure was ok though.  They got some of the outfit details done really well, and the poofy hands.  His paint aps seemed pretty weak though, even at that time, and his weapon was goofy...  Was it a gun or a musical instrument?  Either way Ree Yees was drunk enough to put it in his mouth and check for everyone.

The POTF2 figure was a pretty neat update in regards to the sculpt, but as noted above he was a bear to find and overpriced was the only way most people ultimately got him (through the old fan club store thing).  I liked him well enough though and he holds his own visually on my display shelf.  He could handle an upgrade for sure though.  I'd only imagine a new figure of him would wind up flooring me and show how badly done the POTF2 one may actually be.  To me he looks good but he's one of those guys that a new one could probably shock the hell out of people.  Pote Snitkin would make that list too I think.

Anyway, yeah, he's due for upgrading I suppose.

Gran fo life, yo.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:44 AM »
Odd that the only modern version is the POTF2 one.  You would've thought Hasbro would've revisited him by now.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:02 AM »
I actually think the POTF2 one is really well made, especially the head sculpt.  Vey detailed!   It would be cool to see an SA one and according to Jeff's Q&A from last year either Ree Yees or Yakface are coming out in 2012.  I'm putting my own money on Yakface

They have done another Gran, Ask Aak in the ROTS line...I always thought that fortold a new Ree Yees, but alas...its been 6 years

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:11 PM »
I'll take Ree Yees in the bet...  Only because he was a more uncommon figure than Yak Face, who was everywhere.

Both hold up well in the modern line besides articulation though, for sure.  Part of me thinks that both could be that figure that just shocks you how good an update could be though.  It's like Dengar...  It was a poo-pooed figure then it was shown and wow...  I think Ree Yees could be like that.  I'd gladly rebuy him.  He should come with fake vomit too, after his hard night of partying.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01 PM »
I'll take Ree Yees in the bet...  Only because he was a more uncommon figure than Yak Face, who was everywhere.

I'd rather they do Ree-Yees, but I think it'll be Yak-Face, mainly due to the appeal of the vintage card. Most folks never got an 80's Yak-Face, let alone on the original card.

If they do make Ree-Yees, he could come with those three-lensed "trinoculars" that Kenner was gonna make for him.  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:01 PM by scockery »

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2011, 10:13 AM »
I would buy up both figures in a heartbeat mainly because I would want them on vintage cards.  However, Ree Yees really could use an update.  I just don't care for the POTF2 pose that he's in.  It's not bad but when you look at SA sculpts nowadays he just looks really outdated. 

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Not a fan of this character in the slightest.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I'm consider army building a new Ree Yees.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 03:43 PM »
This one certainly needs an update with the Black series Ree Yees available. Was very pleased to be able to replace the POTF2 version with the update.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2014, 02:53 PM »
No doubt!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2014, 03:18 PM »
A needed and worthy update...  This one is miles above the POTF2, which was sharp for POTF2 era figures.

I only was sad to see him get his POTF2 pistols updated and not his original pipe looking rifle thing.  That would've been the icing on the cake with this Ree Yees update. 

Now, Yakface is definitely in need, and I'd say Amanaman as well could use a modern makeover.  Those are my top two vintage I'd like to see out again.