Author Topic: Do You Display Your Vintage Figures?  (Read 29466 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You Display Your Vintage Figures?
« on: March 8, 2011, 01:55 PM »
I wasn't sure exactly how to title this, but I was just curious for those of you who have a vintage collection (or are actively pursuing one), do you have it displayed?  I'm still in the process of completing a loose vintage collection (my overall collecting goal for now), but it is something that has gotten put on the backburner recently with losing my job, working part-time, higher prices, other interests, etc.  I'm hoping to get back to picking a few more figures up here and there this year, and started thinking about how to display them.  Right now, the figures I do have are just baggied and in a rubbermaid box for now.  I get them out and look at them every once in awhile, but don't really have them set up and on display.

Ultimately, I'd like to (down the road) have a display similar to some I've seen on here (Scott's comes to mind, and I think there are others) where you have the vintage lineup and then their best-made modern counter parts next to them or opposite them.  I've often thought that if I had to pack up all this stuff some day, or sell some off, that if I only had a small display I'd like to have at least that stuff out.  The vintage line is what started it all for many of us, and still holds the most nostalgia for me.  Anyways, just wondering how many of you have your vintage stuff on display (or if you want to share pics, that's great too).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Do You Display Your Vintage Figures?
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I have all of mine displayed on a shelf in my room... nothing fancy, just one little shelf to remind me where it all started.

I'd love to steal Scott's "Collect All 92" Idea/display though and buy some sort of case to display all of them standing next to the best modern equivalent.  The main reason that I haven't done that yet is that I'm afraid that I'll get it all set up, realize these 92 are all I really need and want to sell the rest of the collection.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2011, 02:46 PM »
I had all mine out for a few months then had to pack them away to stage our house for sale. Once we dump that place and move into a new house, they are definitely going back out, along with all the vehicles, playsets, etc.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2011, 03:54 PM »

I'd love to steal Scott's "Collect All 92" Idea/display though and buy some sort of case to display all of them standing next to the best modern equivalent.  The main reason that I haven't done that yet is that I'm afraid that I'll get it all set up, realize these 92 are all I really need and want to sell the rest of the collection.  :-X

I swear I said I was doing that long before Scott ever mentioned it.  ;)  Of course I modified it by wanting to include the Kubrick versions as well (damn you AT-ST driver)

But that's pretty close to what my plan actually is.  I was delayed not insubstantially by the demise of the Bertby shelf from Ikea, but I'll still do something quite similar in time.  I expect I'll end up building my own display cases in the end. 

Right now though they are indeed displayed and have been for a while.  Actually I've always had my stuff out.  But the biggest issue I've run into is simply too much stuff to fit it all in the only room (9 x 13) that I have.  I think it's an ideal sized room to just display vintage but I've too much modern stuff and other stuff as well (diecast, McFarlane, Simspons, GG, etc.)

I was also contemplating using three of the 'original 12' action figure stands with the X-wing background and putting together three separate collections of the original vintage 12, a set of the 'He-Man' styled early POTF2 counterparts and then the best actual modern versions of those 12 as well.  I do want to have a display of the early POTF2 stuff though, hideous as it is. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2011, 06:45 PM »
I do, and you can see it in the collection thread....but I keep it somewhat separated from the modern stuff.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Morgbug, what shelving display are you using to display those? Is that just foam board stacked one on top another?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Here's mine... on a shelf with risers just like everything else:

Offline SWJACK

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03 AM »
Morgbug: why is Donald duck next to Yoda?  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Morgbug, what shelving display are you using to display those? Is that just foam board stacked one on top another?

It's one inch styrofoam cut and glued together.  There's about an inch and a half space for width.  I just painted it grey (same as shelf) after it was glued. 

Morgbug: why is Donald duck next to Yoda?  ;D

Not Donald, Howard.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:53 PM »

What's the deal with that Yarna?  ???

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I need to take pics of my set up.  I have all my vintage in a display case, separate from the modern.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 03:37 AM »

What's the deal with that Yarna?  ???

A custom based on a prototype for a canceled vintage figure.  In my opinion, it's the best one out there.  Fits right in with the regular vintage line.  Here's a photo of the original wax sculpt:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:38 AM by Rob »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 01:24 PM »

A custom based on a prototype for a canceled vintage figure.  In my opinion, it's the best one out there.  Fits right in with the regular vintage line.  Here's a photo of the original wax sculpt:

I thought so! That is amazing, man. Where did you find that? Was it very expensive? (AND HOW CAN I GET ONE?!?!)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Ryan Shaw did about 20-25 of them a few years ago.  I had emailed him about one back when I was in college but was too broke to buy it.  A few years later I emailed him again and ask if it was too late and he remembered our exchange and agreed to make one more.  He said the molds were no good after that.  I don't remember the exact price, but it was worth every penny.  The only way to get one would be to find one of the 20 or 25 people who bought them and convince them to part with it.  

I also have a pretty awesome vintage-style Sandtrooper from him that you can't really see in the above photos... (he just sent the torso, the rest was up to me) :

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:13 PM by Rob »

Offline SWJACK

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 03:08 AM »
Ryans' made a really cool slave Leia as well recently  :)