Multimedia > The Original Trilogy

Things I never noticed before

(1/5) > >>

R5Don4:
So I recently read the novelazations again and a couple of things struck me as odd.

From Star Wars (I will not call it that other name, it is and always be Star Wars)

Minor:  Very lucky no one was seriously injured when they jumped down into the garbage compactor.  Good thing all that wet broken metal and debris cushioned the fall from 20' up.

The Rebel Wing men for the trench run, what did they really expect to accomplish flying in that formation in the trench?  Wouldn't it have been much more effective to fly above the trench giving the leader some space ahead to protect him, like what Han does in the end?

From ESB

Atmosphere inside the Space Slug

So the Space Slug's gullet provided enough of an atmosphere to protect  against the hard vacumn of space?  I guess it did.

From RotJ

How long did the get away ships sit around in the Tatooine desert without being ravaged by Jawas and Tuskens?  From the whole deleted sandstorm scene.  Very lucky for our heroes they weren't stumbled upon by greedy scavengers.  I guess because Luke grew up on Tatooine he knew a good place to hide space ships in the desert.

Jesse James:

--- Quote ---The Rebel Wing men for the trench run, what did they really expect to accomplish flying in that formation in the trench?  Wouldn't it have been much more effective to fly above the trench giving the leader some space ahead to protect him, like what Han does in the end?
--- End quote ---

This actually has a partial in-film and EU explanation...

The Death Star's designed mostly to defend against large-scale assault, and EU writers ran with the concept that their surface guns are much more effective against fleets of capital ships over starfighters, and that the higher above the surface, the more likely of hitting and creating a net of laser fire to do damage to Rebel fighters comes into play then. 

This is sort of confirmed with how the Rebel Fighters are evading the surface guns then and then fighters are ordered out.  This pits everyone into a bit of a fair fight...

EU's sorta hinted at other fighters then running interference at a higher altitude...  This draws some cannon fire and Imp fighters up to meet them, giving the attack run pilots a little more of a fighting chance...  You could come in straight at the exhaust port, but would it be the most heavily defended portion of the trench ultimately?  So coming from that higher altitude, you could possibly get tore to pieces...

So how does Han do it?  I've always then assumed Han kind of "slips in unnoticed" somewhat.  Everyone's tied up with fighters above, fighters nearer the surface, and the gunners have all these blips and nobody notices the Falcon...  Hell, it may even not show up on sensors making it all the more stealthy or something.

Han buzzes in, clear's Luke by throwing his own interference into the pursuers, and peels off immediately (again lending some credibility to the concept that from his angle he's a sitting duck...  otherwise why not stay and make sure Luke's ok?), Luke does his thing, they head off and the end...

One of the things about the "higher" rebel ships has hinted at early model A-Wings being at the battle too, and ultimately doing some of that higher buzzing around taking out Imperial fighters and drawing some of them away from the core group.

Of course a lot of this helps if you buy into the notion that there's more fighters at Yavin than the battle in the film ultimately implies.  A fan edit of ANH really added a lot of ships, and again some EU have added some more ships.  The film's hangar and all the scrambling pilots certainly implies a lot more were there who never make a peep (another couple squads with their own task?) anyway.

CorranHorn:
Also I believe the purpose of the wing men are to provide additional aft shielding for the pilot making the run. They need to be in a close relative position to the lead pilot to ensure they take the laser shots from the pursuing TIEs. Essentially they're sacrificial lamb to give the lead time to take the shot.

Jesse James:
Yeah the "extras" in the trench could ultimately serve two purposes...  The lead ship is obviously the guy expected to take the first shot (providing you survive the head-on fire in the trench).  The 2 in the rear are providing some extra cushion against fighters, which would've been expected I'd guess.

However, they'd also serve the purpose of secondary shooters, should the first one miss...  It'd make sense that anyone who makes it to the end launches a Torp if they can...  Hope someone makes the shot.

Paul:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on March 20, 2011, 02:07 AM ---

EU's sorta hinted at other fighters then running interference at a higher altitude...  This draws some cannon fire

--- End quote ---

I think you mean EU draws "Canon" fire...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version