Author Topic: What Would Be "The End" For You?  (Read 14490 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
What Would Be "The End" For You?
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:48 AM »
I know we've discussed before how much longer the line might last, but I was curious what would bring about "the end" of Hasbro Star Wars for you?  I started thinking about this again while my wife was asking me how much longer they would be making this stuff (which, when you think about it, it is crazy how long this has gone on).  I know some have already stopped due to boredom, feeling complete, prices, or something else.  I expect we are seeing more people cut back or stop completely as we approach $10 figures.  Plus, honestly - at least on the movie side of things - we're starting to get a pretty complete lineup.

I'm guessing we'll see movie figures at least through the 3D releases, and probably a little (or long) beyond that.  The CW line will be there as long as the show is on I'm sure, and some form of Legends is likely as well.  For me personally, I think I'm probably in until they stop making figures from the movies.  There are still some things I want to see (resculpts, all-new, etc.) that I hope they get to over the next 3-5 years, but overall the collection is getting pretty complete at this point, with some pretty nice figures.  Although I do collect some of the CW line, I think I'd use the stop of the movie stuff as a good place to jump ship.  I'd probably pick something up here or there if it was spiffy enough, or I'd move on to something else I'm interested (likely Marvel/DC stuff).  I've collected something (whether it was sports cards, comic books, or action figures) about as long as I can remember, and I think I'd probably continue on in some capacity - or maybe move on to other areas of SW collection (or finally finish my vintage collection).

Anyways, I think the end of the movie line (barring any new movies), would probably be the point where I would stop.  I guess this is providing that the movie stuff doesn't carry on another 20 years for some reason.  Unless the figures somehow took another huge leap in quality (like POTF2 era to now), I can't see continuing to re-buy these same characters again and again, if the line somehow went on that long.  Depending on how the line is handled, I can't see how they wouldn't have the remaining wants pretty well covered in the next five years - at least going by our "top 10" lists and my own personal hopes.  When is your stopping point?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Be "The End" For You?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I can't stop.  I'm not even going to try.  Even when they stop making new figures I'd collect on the secondary market and start customizing and sculpting my own figures like crazy.

I've been at this since for 31 years and hopefully I'm not even half done.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:20 PM »
At this point I'm hoping the TCW line ends with the show in two years. Call it a day for the animated style and let me retire in peace.  ;D

If they want to recycle those figures into a more realistic style, go for it. But only if the animated line is given a proper end.

With me, it's not about money, it's about space. And my wife.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Only if they stop making realistic movie figures/vehicles. Even then I would track down other things that I passed on or got rid of. Personally, I feel the line in terms of quality has never been better. If they keep up the pace they are going I do not see stopping ever. As we get more definitive versions of characters I think the "concern" of "having" to rebuy characters continues to become less and less of a issue. Many collectors are frustrated from distribution & price more than anything else. (The latter part most will deal with as what is not expensive these days. Many will curb but most will not stop.)

I am now 20 years in on collecting SW figures, for me to stop now is just out of the question. I started as a 14 yr old in high school and for all the changes in my life, all of the places/States that I have lived and for all of the people who have come and gone in my life SW figure collecting has been one of the three most consistent things in my life. As nerdy or pathetic as it may sound it's a normal part of my life like eating. Recently, I enjoy it so much more as my daughter loves spending time in my collection room playing with some of the stuff. Watching her play and pick out here favorite things has made my collection so much more special. Watching here little face looking at this stuff is priceless as someone else besides me enjoys the collection! (No surprise Cammie's big eyed dog thing and Woklings are her favorites!)

The one adjustment I have made is I no longer buy every single thing just because the SW logo is slapped on it. While I buy 95% of all new realistic items I will not support something if it's really stupid. I also do not support the animated line. (I only buy the real standouts of the animated line Embo, New Cad Bane, new Ahsoka) I vote with my wallet as to what I will support.

I hope this line does not end for a long time which it appears it will not. When it ends one day I can say for sure the best way to cap the line off is to make the Tonnika sisters. They would be the most fitting bow out to this line. Until then, Hasbro keep on making them! (and keep on supplying etailers more so I have no need to hunt!)

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18 PM »
I was just thinking about this.  We're trying to sell our house in May and I was packing up my collection for Open House events.  There was just so many figures...it just seemed endless.  While there's a ton that I really love, there were mnay I looked at and said, "Why did I buy that?"  (Many EU...sorry)

I've been collectiong my whole life it seems.  I was on board from 1977 to 1985, and the from 1995 to today.  I think that I just need to be more selective in what I buy.  I no longer buy them all, that stoped a while ago.  I think I may only buy whay I really, really want.

Here's an odd twist to the story...I've been dealing with depression for most of my post-teen/adult life.  It's come and gone over the years. A year ago, I finally decided to try some mediaction.  While it has helped some with the depression, this medication also helps with anxiety.  In truth, it has made me less anxious about collecting.  I don't really worry about "missing" anything.  I look at my collection and I'm happy with what I have, not worried about what I don't have.  I don't stop at TRU whenever I pass it.  I just seem to enjoy it more, and worry less about controlling it.  Maybe that's why I'm willing to just pick up what I totally dig.

I'm not out, but I am certainly not "in" like I used to be.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty much in as long as they're still making realistic 3 3/4" figures - preferably from the films.

Although the prices need to level off (or ideally drop a little).

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I only collect the realistic style figures, so as long as they make those, I'll be collecting. I've scaled back a bit though...I no longer buy handfuls of clones, unless it's a new (and film-accurate) variety. But they've pretty much made all of those.

I suspect that even when the line ends, I'll put my effort into my displays. I really like my Jabba's palace display, and I want to create some similar display solutions when we buy a house.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Price will ultimately determine how "in" I am...  If things are fairly priced, I don't mind buying and hanging around...  The higher the price goes the more I pull back.  The more apt I am to not buy any given figure, for any reason big or small.

I have steadily decreased what I buy since 2007, when I was buying doubles and triples of almost every figure because everything they were throwing out there was affordable and pretty awesome.  I'm still around, I'd still probably buy the things I really wanted, but as things have gotten worse I've become increasingly picky on what I'm willing to pay for.  I don't know that anything would stop 100%, but I could easily see myself not really considering this even a "hobby" to me any longer, and more just something I do on a whim.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16 AM »
I'd say when figure started costing more than $_______, but I've sold out on that stance many times.

Actually, finances aside, what's happening locally is more of what will make me quit, not finding anything in stores. I'm not an "order a case" collector, nor will I pay more than retail via online merchant or reward losers who scalp action figures. If I can't find most of it in stores, forget it. I want to see what I'm buying. Essentially that's what happened near the end of POTF2 with the EU wave. Never saw a one, and that ended my completist era.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:48 AM »
I totally agree on not rewarding those selling on a mark-up...  I've not bought a figure for a cent over retail, and i'm happy about that feather in my cap, but at this point I think retail's going to make "scalping" a pretty unpopular option for income...  I know a lot of the guys I talk to who sell are saying the line's just too much money.

The only figures I've paid extra for are original vintage of course, and even then I try to get it really cheap if I can, haha.

If I can't get it for retail I generally feel I can live without it.

The prices haven't driven me from the hobby either, but they ahve driven my old habits away...  2, 3, or more for customizing?  Gone.  Army Builders, even obscure EU stuff I'd buy 40+ of?  Long gone.  Prequal army building?  Dwindled dramatically compared to OT.  Vehicle extras?  Nope, not anymore.  For me, that's a TON of money I'd have spent in the past that I just don't spend anymore, and I see it in my wallet now...  I've been able to put more away.  If anything it's further incentive to save and buy even less.  :-\  It's one of those things that starts opening your eyes to how much you spent before, and could've spent on other stuff.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02 AM »
We are a couple of weeks away from starting construction of our extreem makeover home remodel. We are adding about 850 sqft to the house. My Star Wars office will be coming back in a large new room! The room should be able to display most everything I have but I will not be adding more to it. I'll post a thread on the construction. We are aiming for a September completion date.

It's been hard to collect figures when you can't display them anywhere. At least now, I'll soon be able to see them again. Besides, figures cost way too much now. I'm going to enjoy what I currently have and not try to track down that 18th version of Vader with the two left feet.  ;) I think I'm done unless I can pick something up for less then retail. There is no way I'm paying scalping charges or buying cases anymore. I'm becoming more interested in eletronics and classic video game systems anyway.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:24 PM »
For me it's when they stop mking things that interest me and can fit into my collection.  I stopped being a completeist long ago and just buy things here and there.

If they ever go back to those crappy action features...I'm done.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32 PM »
As long as they make OT (or OT based EU) realistic figures, I will stay in.  If the line went all PT or CW, I'd be gone.

I really want a good Detention Block Trooper from Episode IV.

I will continue to buy the "upgrade/update" figures and replace the inferior versions (I'm looking at you Death Star Trooper and Lando Skiff).

Like some of you guys have mentioned, I have kids that are pretty into it now and it is neat to see my daughter snag her favorite astromechs and female jedi and my son grab ewoks and stormtroopers and want to play.

I am probably the kool-aid drinker in the bunch though.  Hasbro could change scales and if the asthetic was good and articulation was good, I'd probably re-buy the whole collection all over.

VOTC figures were $10 so as long as we are getting great articulation and good likenesses, $10 is not that bad.  I don't golf, I don't drink, I don't play video games, I don't go to concerts, I have only 1 other hobby and the stuff there makes $10 a figure looks extremely CHEAP, so it is all relative I guess.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:41 PM by Paul »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08 PM »
If it makes you happy, then so be it. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:09 PM »
For me, as long as I can afford to collect and they are making realistic figures, I am probably going to still be in hobby.  Plus as long as I like customizing, that's going to be a big influence too.  But over time I've already changed my collecting habits some, and I'm sure that will continue as I get older and my priorities change with having a second child soon.  I've never been a completist either, so that helps in not feeling compelled to buy things.