Author Topic: What Would Be "The End" For You?  (Read 14465 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Be "The End" For You?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 02:36 PM »
It's definately perceived value. The legends and CW come with stuff while the vintage is just the figure and a dollar or two more. All I see around my stores is sandtroopers and clone troopers that I have before. I don't see them any different from the legends version except on a card I don't care about. I can get both of these figure x5 from our favorite ebay seller for the price of one in retail.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I've been done since w4/w5/w6 hit a few months back with the exception of the Jedi Turbo Taxi (I'm a sucker for vehicles)  Just bought my first home and finally unloaded my storage unit after 6 years and frankly I'm disgusted by all of the stuff I have so I plan on dumping 80-90% of my SW collection in the coming months to have a somewhat manageable collection to go along side with my TF/Joe stuff. 

Its been very easy to collect all these years by just throwing everything into storage thinking I'd have room for everything someday, but that's not the case now that this is reality.  Not to mention I've been getting burnt out on this hobby as of the past couple years - oh and the price hike made this decision much easier to swallow.

It was fun while it lasted though...   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 10:23 PM »
I'll tell you what would be the "end" for me...not finding anything again.  Nothing at all.  I was in Las Vegas for a week on business, and I had plenty of driving around to do.  I stopped at every Target, TRU and Wal-mart I saw.  At least 2-3 a day, many in the morning. Nothing new at all.

As it is now, I have 1 wave 5 figure, 1 wave 4 figure, and the Sith Yoda.  That's all I've seen since early Dec when I complted wave 3.

This is almost as bad as spring 2002...at least this time the figures we're waiting on don't suck.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Just too many sand and clone troopers. Too bad they are too expensive to army build.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 12:21 AM »
Well I'm off work tomorrow.  I may go on a toy run to about 4 stores.  I'll be pissed off if I find nothing...again.  At this point I'd take an R5-D4.  Anything from wave 5 or more.  I may just resort to focusing on some Clone Wars figures.  They always seem to rotate those figures pretty well. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 08:29 PM »
This might fit in the "future of" thread as well, but just a topic that has come up again lately. I like to be a positive person, and don't mean for this to be a "the line is dead!" Thread, but it is starting to look like there won't be a "basic" 3 3/4" line for the Rise of Skywalker. It sounds as if we will still get some Vintage Collection figures, but it will probably be somewhat limited. All that being said, it is starting to seem like it is possible that the 3 3/4" scale might be heading towards the end, or at the very least become much more limited.

At this point, if we get to the point where Star Wars collecting - at least affordable, retail level stuff - is either 5" or 6", how would your collecting change? Would it end when/if the 3 3/4" scale did, would you focus more on 6", switch focus to another property, or something else altogether? I personally hope we continue to get Vintage Collection figures, even if it is only 16-20 figures per year. If they eventually move on, I'd probably continue to pick and choose from Black Series, save some money, or focus on vintage toys more.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31 PM »
3.75" is it for me.  As long as it continues, I'm still in.  I'm 24 years into this line and I'm not starting over in 5", 6", 12" or any other scale.  If they kill it, I'll keep collecting Super 7, Gentle Giant, and I'll probably wade into vintage a little more than I have traditionally.  I'd be disappointed and hope it's a temporary thing, but I'd be using it as an opportunity to spend less on collecting.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Of course, I always say I am basically a "retired" collector anyway, but the end of the basic line will probably push me back out the door. I am unsatisfied with the aesthetics of the current crop of Vintage figures and my pickings there will be few and far between. I've no interest in the Black Series. Ditto the Galaxy of Adventures scale.

I didn't bother with TFA figures in 2015 at all, but after the fact I put together my own collection of 12 of them that I found to be essential and bought that to represent the film in my collection. Rogue One was full of OT sculpts so I grabbed those, plus another round of 12 essential characters. For TLJ I bought a few figures, but I never bothered to put together a list of 12 to represent the movie so it isn't done.  The Solo line was too hard to find so I never finished that up either, just dribs and drabs of what I saw. Most everything I have bought the last few years has been 5POA basic line stuff.

I suppose if Hasbro decides to do more unproduced Retro figures in the future I will collect those. So far I am 100% on those (Tarkin) but only running 50% on the straight-up reissues.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00 PM »
I'll only collect well-articulated 3.75" figures for SW. I collect NECA and DC Collectibles stuff, but that's much more limited, and I'm not interested in collecting SW in any other scale. To me, it works because the scale is compatible with vehicles. Take that away and it's not worth it. Plus, as others have said, I'm not starting over after so many years.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27 PM »
I already collect both 3.75 and 6". I'll be disappointed if 3.75 dies for sure. I collect a little non-Star Wars, but mostly Star Wars. No chance for me of "the end". I'm not going all in on 5". But there will always be something to buy to keep this enjoyment in my life. Of course if no company produces anything then I guess I just catch up with what I've missed over time
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:27 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 09:52 AM »
I'm a 3.75 and 6" collector.  I dabble in other lines (Sideshow, Unleashed, Gentle Giant, ToyBox, etc.) when there is something specific that catches my eye.

I will not be going all in on 5" figures and will likely just dabble with that line if there is something super cool that catches my eye. 

Over the years I've consciously sold off whole lines (Galactic Heroes, 12" figures, Titanium) because I've tried to streamline a bit and focus on 3.75 and 6".

I'm old enough and my collection is large enough already that I don't need to add another scale and aesthetic.  I would likely spend my collecting money tracking down vintage items I don't have, posters, and other items vs. spend it on a new scale.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 10:14 AM »
After 41 years of collecting 3.75" figures, I don't see myself changing.  Hell, after being spoiled with all the SA figures we were getting around 2010, I don't even go for 5 POA figures.

If the 3.75" line dies, I'll focus more on prop replicas, costuming (I have a few helmets in addition to my ANH Stormtrooper armor), and a couple of movie posters (Mainly Rise of Skywalker and I need a Rogue One theatrical release one sheet).

It might actually free up some cash for a few more Disney trips!  Looks like the immersive hotel at Disneyworld's Hollywood studios will cost $1,000 per night!  I make decent money as an engineer but holy **** that's a lot of money to drop on a weekend stay!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2019, 01:43 PM »
I’ve technically been collecting the 3 3/4” scale Star Wars figures and vehicles since the tail end of the original vintage toy line in the mid-1980s, though the bulk of my collecting has dated from the Galoob Action Fleet and Kenner/Hasbro POTF days in the late 1990s and peaked in the 2010s with the Legacy and “Vintage” collections.  Since the mid 2010s and the Disney takeover of Lucasfilm, I haven’t collected as much of the 3 3/4” scale as outside of the new Vintage collection, the quality just isn't where it was a decade and more ago. I still try to get some of the main figures and ships for the new movies, but I’m not sure where things will go after the upcoming “Rise of Skywalker” film, at least as my 3 3/4” collection is concerned.  If the Vintage line continues and keeps offering the highly detailed vehicles (like the Imperial Assault Tank) then I’ll continue in that scale...

However, I’ve never been an exclusive collector, meaning I typically don’t collect just one line or scale of figures in a genera like Star Wars. Case in point is my large collection of the 6” Black Series figures.  I’ve really enjoyed this line since it came out in 2013 and typically try to get figures of the main characters for each film, legacy characters, vehicles, or other items that catch my interest.  I’d like to see the 6” Black Series Line continue for a while and add more star fighters and other vehicles.  The line seems to sell well for the most part and has a lot of potential...

Lastly, there is another part of me that wonders how long Star Wars can continue in popularity? Already there are signs that the general public is starting to tire of Star Wars... As a kid, I remember when the craze over the original movies died out and I’m quite frankly surprised things have kept going as long as they have.  We have basically had available a steady stream of action figure, ships, and tons of other Star Wars merchandise since the mid 1990s, which is really incredible! I’m just curious as to how long all this will go on - and if I’m going to need a larger house to hold it all :P
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 01:19 PM »
I just don't know for sure what "The End" would be for me. Before the Vintage collection returned, I did feel lukewarm to what was available, especially with the unwanted return of 5 POA figures. However, at this point, my love of the OT is still strong and for the foreseeable future I'll still ravenously procure anything Hasbro to offer from my three favorite films of all time.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."