Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Four Discussion Thread  (Read 107201 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Four Discussion Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Anti-climatic.

SPOILERS ahead:

But "sane" Maul is back.

What's Talzin's stake in this? That Maul will eventually go after Dooku?  Her magic has an engineering degree...nice use of scrapped droids. She might wanna repair some droid for herself, you know, bury all her dead sisters (or cocoon them for zombie hijinks later).

Obi-Wan for his flippancy in the face of evil didn't ask Maul who his master was? Nor did dumb Savage, who's the type to ask straight forward question.

We are still left wondering how bisected Maul became spider-maul.

If they'd sent a task force, they could've blown them up in space. Whatever...the will of the force...my butt. They ran away.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:46 PM by scockery »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Hell.  Yeah.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2012, 11:49 PM »
I was sort of underwhelmed. It was too much to cover in only 22 minutes, and everything felt rushed. They should have introduced Maul two episodes ago instead, and made this episode longer and split it in half (aah, the Maul-bisection jokes are endless. It seems Ventress agreed in this episode, too).

(Spoilers...)

As much as I love the character of Asajj Ventress, I don't think she should have survived her encounter against Maul. If Qui-Gon couldn't, then why did Asajj survive? I think it was very degrading to Maul's character to put up with Asajj dissing him. Considering he's a former Sith Lord, he should have totally whupped her ass.

I liked the ROTS nod with Maul igniting his lightsaber, ready to wipe out the kiddies. It was very sinister and very true to his character. 

"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2012, 09:20 AM »
If Qui-Gon couldn't, then why did Asajj survive?

I think one point in the TPM novel was that QGJ was old and therefore tired out easily and that's how Maul defeated him. Once Obi-Wan was separated from Maul and Qui-Gon, it was too much for the 'old man' to take the aggressive nature of Maul (the Jedi hadn't faced the Sith (a worthy adversary) in a long time.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2012, 01:27 PM »
So did anyone on that planet survive besides the astro droid?

I'd think Maul would kill them all anyway. I would've sent a fleet...maybe 15 minutes behind Kenobi, so he didn't know.

Dangling plot threads to the show, and this season mostly avoided pursuing them. We had two 4-part episodes that were stand alone. Another Zygerian arc that ate up 3 episodes. 3 more with Mon calamari. The mostly disposable R2 3PO adventures. In the broader storylines, that left us with the season end arc and the one-off Death Watch episode. The only significant deaths of previously seen characters were Tarpals and that 212th clone (Waxer?). Secondary Jedi seemed underused (Krell aside, whom we'd never seen before). Dooku appeared more than ever it felt like.

It wasn't a bad season, though. It's just that some parts of it felt short (Maul's story) and others too long (the underwater war, and arguably the Umbara arc). Plus the odd break up of the Zygerian 3 parter...waiting a month for its resolution.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2012, 11:30 PM »
I thought the finale was a disappointing let-down. The whole thing seemed contrived and ultimately a time-wasting boondoggle as nothing really happened.

Why was there suddenly a million credit bounty on Opress? For roughing up that chick in the diner? Wouldn't someone have tried to claim that before now if it was for his previous misadventures?

Obi-Wan can whoop ass on Maul when he's 100% tip-top shape with full organic agility, but he's suddenly completely overmatched by the emaciated, completely unaccustomed to walking on cyborg legs, half-crazy Maul? Shouldn't Obi-Wan's skills have grown since the last time they met? He went down far too easily, IMO.

And Maul was completely overwhelmed by Asajj and Dooku before, but now he's a complete unstoppable badass?

Where is Sidious in all this? Shouldn't he be aware Maul is back too?

Agreed the whole thing felt rushed, and slapdash at best; apparently none of their writers could figure out how to explain how Maul's upper torso managed to escape Naboo and fly away to the garbage planet.

They've got too many freaking villains on this show now, they really need to start cutting back next season. Are they not allowed to kill the bigger bad guys for some reason?

Anyway, this was a good rebound season, all the more ironic considering they've abandoned the toy line and we got so many great new figure options on the show this year. You could make 2-3 waves of outstanding figures from The Box alone. sigh.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 18, 2012, 12:03 PM »
You could make 2-3 waves of outstanding figures from The Box alone. sigh.

I keep hoping that after the minimal returns on the 3D investment that we might see a rebound for Clone Wars in future releases. It seems like season 4 featured several obvious character outfit changes that would do well on the pegs, How many outfits did Ventress wear this season?

I still love the show, and hope next year is not the final season. Looking back at season 1 the visuals are much better, and the ability to blend in background characters and multiple environments is vastly superior.

I think they took some risks this year and gave the fans more of what they were asking for...action. Now if we could just get some action figures...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #337 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47 PM »
If they stopped this show right now....I wouldn't care in the least.

This has got to be the most poorly written show, and the Maul episodes take the cake.  It's starting to remind me of the South Park episode where the Family Guy writers are a bunch of manatees moving balls with words on them to a certain tank.  It's almost like no one even gives a crap about writing on this show and we'll just throw some crap in there, slap a Star Wars label on it and people will watch it, but the DVD set, then the Blu Ray set and they laugh all the way to the bank.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #338 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37 AM »
I kind of agree with everyone's sentiments...  Maul was really force-fed into this, and the story's been very disappointing and anti-climactic at this point.

To me, this show's title doesn't really reflect what it's about...

The movie had a far greater grasp of what I feel this toon should be, week in and week out.  Wars in the stars, and Clones warring.  Landing At Point Rain is still, to me, the best this show has ever accomplished and they're showing absolutely no sign of ever even coming close to that again, and that blows.  There's an intergalactic war going on, and they just rarely show them. 

They've shown the ability to go where they need to with it I think, but they focus too much on the character-of-the-week type people, and establishing them heavily.  Oppress, Maul now, Boba Fett, Death Watch (not a character, but kind of similar to the point I'm making).

But seriously, get back to the war...  Get back to large scale engagements.  Let's see some big space battles.  Let's see some big engagements on planets.  Let's see some heavy body counts of Clones and Droids.  Tartakovsky's series had a much better handle on this aspect of the greater conflict, and I'd like to see the writers of this get the series back to what it's actually about.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 19, 2012, 11:03 AM »
Anti-climatic.

SPOILERS ahead:

If they'd sent a task force, they could've blown them up in space. Whatever...the will of the force...my butt. They ran away.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Why wouldn't the Republic have a cruiser just outside of detection range supporting Kenobi?    The entire council should have been there to back up Obi-Wan.  Catching Maul would be the key to unlocking the entire mystery of the Sith.  While I think there has been a lot of good stuff on this show, I feel completely 'meh' at this whole storyline.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 19, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Anti-climatic.

SPOILERS ahead:

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Why wouldn't the Republic have a cruiser just outside of detection range supporting Kenobi?    The entire council should have been there to back up Obi-Wan.  Catching Maul would be the key to unlocking the entire mystery of the Sith.  While I think there has been a lot of good stuff on this show, I feel completely 'meh' at this whole storyline.

I think they wanted Obi-Wan to go alone for the very reason you're getting at:  Maul could eventually lead the Jedi Council to Darth Sidious.  Sending one Jedi alone would be far more likely to go unnoticed by anyone outside of the Jedi Council.  Send the fleet and that could draw the attention of the Sith.

Certainly, there was the history between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul.  Maul has his desire for vengeance, and that's probably not limited to Kenobi alone, but for Darth Sidious as well.  You have to remember that Maul had the presence of mind to talk about how he had once been in league with "one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy", and the next target of his vengeance may be Sidious.

It seems likely that somehow the Maul storyline is going to get wrapped up in some way, shape or form.  His disappearance (or that of Savage Oppress) may eventually be linked to the re-emergence of the Sith in the EU realm of the NJO or beyond.  And then for next season it seems that there may be a running plotline of the Jedi searching for Darth Sidious.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:57 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 20, 2012, 01:58 AM »
And then for next season it seems that there may be a running plotline of the Jedi searching for Darth Sidious.

I agree with this 100%... this is where I think the series could potentially end; the last part of the Clone Wars was the Jedis' effort to find out who Sidious was. Yeah, the battles kept going on, but that was the primary motivation for the last few months of the war/Outer Rim Sieges... maybe write a story about Maul leading the Jedi on a wild goose chase through the Outer Rim, on the hunt for Sidious, and have the Season 5/series finale be Anakin and Ahsoka vs. Maul; Maul kill Ahsoka and Anakin kill Maul, and BOOM, you have ROTS right up.

Hoping though that we see Dooku vs. Maul vs. Sidious. Fat chance, though.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02 AM »
They've done a 'great job' of hyping up character appearances then the actual story underwhelms. I remember this time last year I was so disappointed in "Sahvage" Oppress that I didn't care about him one way or the other. He was billed as this 'monster creation of the Dathomir Nightsisters' and ended up being all Emo and a poor excuse for Maul's replacement.  I wasn't hopefull when they announced the re-appearnce of Darth Maul at the end of last year or the lead-in to this year's finale. At least they didn't go through all the hype and just kill him off after 5 min ;)
The Clone Wars should focus more on the on going battles between the Republic and the Seperatists; all this other stuff, while not bad in its own right, is more of what I hoped the live action TV show would focus on. Guess since THAT'S never gonna pan out, they decided to incorporate some of it into the CW series.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 20, 2012, 10:20 AM »
I think the show will end with Ahsoka alive.

I'd say that Kenobi has to kill Maul again...since he was robbed of that, but who knows...Sith on Sith violence could happen.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45 AM »
MattFury don't read this or anyone reading "Fate of the Jedi: Apocalyse",

They bring the "Alter of Mortis" Father, Son, and Daughter into this book. I'm not really sure what my point is, but I didn't see that coming. I haven't read much past the point of them becoming apart of the story, but hopefully it will make those episodes not seem so far fetched.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within