Author Topic: TRU Vintage Collection Y-Wing  (Read 29156 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Vintage Collection Y-Wing
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I picked this up at my local TRU the other day and since I saw a lot of people on the fence, I figured I'd give a bullet-points review of the toy that will hopefully help some people make a decision one way or another on it. 

First of all, the paintjob is much more subdued than I thought it would be, but that's actually a good thing.  It doesn't have the gaudy look of the 2004 OTC version, and the reddish-orange markings on the new version are done sparingly yet well.  It truly looks like a "just off screen" version of the ship, but for all I know, it was actually present in the Battle of Endor. 

The plastic is also much more "cream" colored when compared to the heavily distressed white/gray of the 2007 TRU exclusive version (the one which included the R5 droid and pilot, and the one I'm going to be comparing the new version to the most in this "review").  The new version has a lot more tan paint on the "cables" along the back sections of the ship (as opposed to the 2007 version, which just had a lot of gray brushing for wear, which I liked).  There's not much, if any, brushing on the body of the new Y-Wing, which I think kind of hurts it a bit in the detail department.  Still, the new version doesn't look bad, per se, it's just kind of unremarkable when put alongside the 2007 version.

The engines themselves are once again painted orange with "burn" details around the nacelles, although the orange is a bit brighter on the new version next to the 2007 version.  Hasbro actually painted two gold lines on the Y-Wing's ion cannon turret atop the cockpit, which gives it a bit of character.  The red/orange markings are in identical locations to the yellow on the 2007 version, but there is an added "distressed" panel of gray on the front right of the cockpit area which, again, gives it a little extra character in your fleet.

Mold wise, on the top of the ship, the most obvious difference in this modern version is the astromech droid slot.  Right now I have a BAD R4 unit in the socket and he fits just fine.  The slot is just big enough to secure him nicely, but not so tight that it feels like you're pushing him in to the point of breaking.  For those fellow "flight testers" out there, I turned the ship upside down and the R4 BAD did not fall out, so there you go.  Hasbro also filled in the two screw holes just to the back of the astromech droid section, so you not longer have visible screws on the top of the ship.

The new cockpit is very well done, with painted on displays and individual flight control sticks for each hand.  The coolest thing (which I hadn't heard about prior to getting the ship) is the pull-out targeting computer to the right of the pilot's head (just like in the movie!).  It's pretty secure when you don't have it pulled out, and fairly sturdy when extended.  It can also be rotated 45% when you have it extended so your chosen pilot can make his ill fated trench run.  Very nice detail to say the least, and very appreciated.

My main gripe with the Y-Wing continues to be the horribly designed landing gear.  I was hoping that Hasbro would go the route of the CW Y-Wing and totally redo the design of the landing gear, but I was disappointed.  They did make the front landing gear a separate piece not dependent upon the "tracked" system of the previous versions, but the rear gear still buckle and go back into the ship, unable to support its own weight.  I thought at first that this had been fixed, as the rear gear kind of "clicked" (similar to the landing gear on General Grievous' Starfighter), but after a few seconds, even the click couldn't handle it, and my Y-Wing went to its belly on the coffee table.  :-\  The bomb dropping mechanism, by the way, still works the same as all the other versions, but the bomb is a single piece. 

All in all, I'm not sorry I bought the new Y-Wing, but cockpit and astromech droid slot aside, it's not really an improvement on the 2007 TRU exclusive version, which cost the same and included two figures.  If you're looking for something to fill out your Alliance fleet and give it a little variety, plus get the really cool box, I'd say go for it.  If you're perfectly happy with your 2007 (or 2004, or 2000, or 1983) version, you can probably pass and not feel badly about doing so.  Oh, and it was 39.99 plus tax at my TRU, so there you go.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Doc P, the red deco has a prop built of it, pictures are out and about, but it's not really clear where it is or what movie.  It seemed like ROTJ stills of it though, mostly measuring it or whatnot.  It maybe even got repainted for one reason or another and wound up just being yellow.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Thanks for the review! It's a shame they did not improve the biggest flaw of the toy. I think the scale is fine it was always the landing gear that bothered me, oh well. I plan on picking two up, maybe more if I can transfer the new cockpit into the older versions to upgrade them. I tried looking for his puppy on Friday but to no avail.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Booooooooooo on the landing gear!  Hopefully this is the last run of this mold.  I still may get one just to own that pretty box.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Yeah, that is disappointing to hear about the landing gear.  That was one of the main reasons I picked up the new one, since my previous version keeps falling down in the back as well.  Plus, the version I have does not have the removable astromech, so I thought it would be nice to have that update as well.  I picked one up at TRU last week, and have just left it in the box with the receipt, undecided if I was going to keep it or not.  I'll admit, the packaging sort of swayed me off the fence as well, even though I'd be opening it.  Like Jesse, I think it could probably use a re-do, and hopefully we'll see that during the OT 3D releases.  For now, I have to decide whether to keep this or not.  It is an upgrade over the Y-Wing I already have, but it also has many of the same problems the way it sounds.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 07:42 PM »
It's funny how many things aren't working with it for people, like the landing gear.  Hardly what I'd say is the Y-Wing update to end all Y-Wing updates I guess.

The box is all kinds of awesome though and I'm sure that's going to put a rose colored tint on a lot of folks' glasses though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2011, 12:53 AM »
Scored one of these tonight.  It definitely reminds me of when I picked up my own vintage Y-Wing about 10 years ago, boxed and all!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34 PM »
The coolest thing (which I hadn't heard about prior to getting the ship) is the pull-out targeting computer to the right of the pilot's head (just like in the movie!).  It's pretty secure when you don't have it pulled out, and fairly sturdy when extended.  It can also be rotated 45% when you have it extended so your chosen pilot can make his ill fated trench run.  Very nice detail to say the least, and very appreciated.

I picked this up today at TRU and for some reason, that little Targeting Computer thingy is what makes me love this new version.  Such a great little detail!   Yeah the landing gear is still a little suspect, but overall, it's a really nice upgrade.  I love the new cockpit and the return of the droid slot.  Also, love the fact they plugged the ugly screwholes in the top of the ship.

I was going to re-sell my POTF2 version, but I think I'll keep it since all three of mine (PotF2, 30AC, and TVC) are just different enough to add nice variety to my Yavin Hangar set-up.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2011, 08:24 AM »
I got this last night - then I went home and found an email in my box for 20% off one item for today or tomorrow only.  I will probably swing by there and get an adjustment.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 1, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Okay, I gotta admit, I'm geeking out a little over the cockpit details. Thought the targeting computer is too low, it's still very cool.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Looks like TRU reset their offerings at some point today including the new Y-wing.  They also have Defend Kamino BP (and others), Deluxe Geonosian with Speeder (and others, but no Rebel Sled), the new Lego sets, and the Delta Squad BP (No TFU set though  :( ).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #71 on: October 2, 2011, 12:15 PM »
I was going to pull the trigger on this despite my problems with it's lilliputian scale, but then I saw this image. I'm really hoping this is Hasbro's last attempt with this sculpt before they give the Y-Wing it's much needed overhaul.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 4, 2011, 12:18 PM »
I was going to pull the trigger on this despite my problems with it's lilliputian scale, but then I saw this image. I'm really hoping this is Hasbro's last attempt with this sculpt before they give the Y-Wing it's much needed overhaul.

Sickening isn't it?  I was really tempted to get it this week with the price down to $30 and the vintage packaging, but just can't bring myself to get another one of these.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 5, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I picked one of these up a while back when they first showed up, but haven't opened it yet.  I think, honestly, that the package is what got me even though I don't keep things carded/boxed for the most part.  I have one of the previous Y-Wings, and honestly, after seeing that comparison picture, it sort of makes me want to take it back.  Man, they could really use to do an all-new Y-Wing.  Maybe for the 3D release of A New Hope or something.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: October 5, 2011, 10:39 AM »
A new BMF-style Y-Wing sounds great, but would folks really be interested in one when they announce it's coming with a $70-80 price tag? 

Many, many folks balked at the BMF-style CW Y-Wing at the $70 price.  Would collectors do the same for an OT Y-Wing at $70 or would it be "OK" this time since it's an OT ship? 

Or do you guys think that Hasbro would magically be able to crank out a larger scale OT Y-Wing for less than that CW version somehow?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender