Author Topic: Which is Your Favorite "Other Toy Line"?  (Read 9834 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Which is Your Favorite "Other Toy Line"?
« on: July 31, 2003, 02:12 PM »
Reading through the forums, especially this new one, I have noticed that many of you collect multiple lines.  I was just curious, which "other" line is your favorite?  Is there one that really generates excitement with you, or maybe it just isn't as frustrating with availability or case pack issues.  Whatever you reason, which is your favorite "other" line...and why do you enjoy it so much?  Personally, Star Wars is always first with me, and even though the availability can become frustrating, once I see pics of new product coming up, or find something new in the stores, my excitement is restored.  I have wanted to pick up a second collection (there are a few that I like), but I haven't been sure which way to go yet.  Marvel Legends, MOTU, Lord of the Rings, and Simpsons have all beckoned me at one time or another, but I've held off for the most part.  I collect only Spidey/X-Men related ML, so far I have Wolverine, Beast, Gambit, and Magneto...and I guess my interest hasn't been quite as high lately, due to the long wait for the next series...although these figures are amazing.  I haven't gotten into Simpsons, basically because I am just waaaaay behind, and there is a lot to get.  Finally, I have been trying to figure out if I can collect MOTU or Lord of the Rings (or both), but I haven't decided yet.  The MOTU line looks great (I only have He-Man), but Lord of the Rings really interests me as well (kind of this age's Star Wars I think in many ways).  Anyways, what is your favorite "other" line?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:05 PM by Brian »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Which is Your Favorite "Other Toy Line"?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 02:28 PM »
The Simpsons by far is my second favorite.  I really love the little yellow guys...

Second is Marvel legends/Spidey Classics etc

Third is LOTR

Fourth is MOTU

THe last three are all on par about the same...probably because I have been collecting the Simpsons since day 1

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 02:56 PM »
Well, like I've said before, I don't collect any other toy lines other than Star Wars, but if I did, it would definitely be the Muppets line.  It's just too cool!  Great likenesses, range of characters, and especially playsets.  Plus the nostalgia factor with these is through the roof for me, since I grew up watching the show all the time as a kid...

But since I don't even have close to the necessary space for all (or even a quarter) of my Star Wars stuff, there's just no way I could possibly commit to another collection, not to mention the further financial obligations involved in getting my obligatory "complete set" as well...   :-\
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 02:58 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 03:29 PM »
Star Wars is and always will be #1.

The only other line I collect is Marvel Legends and certain Spiderman figs (villians and true comic heros, no scuba gear wearing or parachute Spideys)

That doesn't say that I don't look at other toy lines while I'm prerusing the aisles.  I've had serious thoughts of collecting Simpsons, MOTU, Muppets and LOTR.  But luckily I talked myself out of them.

I do, however, have an extremely large vintage GIJoe collection put away at my grandparents house.  I don't what condition they're in and I'm sure pieces are missing and / or broken, but once I have a house, I'm (hopefully) going to dig them out, clean them off and display them.  And that probably means tracking down missing weopons and parts.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 04:14 PM »
What about the two pack of fishing and farmer Spidey ;D

I didn't think they were real, but saw it today :o

Favorite other line?  

McFarlane goalies?  Lot of adrenaline in that hunt, but not sure it's worth the headache.  

Marvel Legends/Spidey is uber cool.  I love that stuff, my kid loves it.  It displays great and has superb playability.  Pretty tough too.  

Predator stuff?  Nah, too limited.  

Simpsons?  Yep, Simpsons it would be.  I've been remarkably disciplined and have predominantly only Homer figures.  

16 loose Homers (THOH1 Homer is out and roaming around)
THOH1
THOH2
THOH3
Burns and Burns Manor
Hank Scorpio
Vacation Smither
Scout Leader Flanders (curse you Scott)
Prison Sideshow Bob
Ragin' Willie (ooh, that just doesn't sound right)
Cooder
Llewelyn Sinclair

I suppose but can't say for sure I might have a Moe coming :-* and as such, I'll need a Barney for the bar.   ::)

Yep, Simpsons it is.   8)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 04:18 PM »
I suppose but can't say for sure I might have a Moe coming :-* and as such, I'll need a Barney for the bar.   ::)

Yep, Simpsons it is.   8)

Oh Mailman???

BTW B, I still have your package, Wave 13 is just starting to show up so I thought I could look a few days for a Wheelcharied Scientist

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 05:17 PM »
Groovy Scott. I'm in no hurry.  Jim will vouch for that. :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 06:07 PM »
The other toy line I collect in force is Lord of the Rings.  I pick up the Simpson line for my son ( I have to find wave 12 Moe and wave 13 Stephen Hawkins and that will bring me to the end of summer for free car washes  ;) ).

I (along with my daughter) also collect Mattel's "Kelly" dolls (Barbie's baby sister).  The output on these little darlings (and endless variations) puts all other lines to shame.

My son also has a large GI Joe collection along with MOTU, TMNT, Batman and X-men.  I think his X-men collection is the largest (Joe might be pretty close though).  The reason I mention his collection is that we both pursue it.  I started back in the 80's when my kids were born, buying up toys and keeping them until they were old enough to open them and play.  Nothing is in its original boxes (it's all sorted and stored in giant Rubbermaid containers) but Jeff knows exactly what figure goes with what character.  Every so often he'll talk about selling one part or another and then when it comes right down to it, he can't part with any of it.  I keep filling in missing (or broken) guys here and there and I am quite sure that there is nothing left to purchase for the old X-men line as well as the TMNT.

It's been such fun over the years, collecting all this stuff and watching my kids play with the toys but also keeping them in some what of a "clean" stage.   I've instilled the collecting bug in my kids and I hope they can pass it on one day. :D

Beth

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 07:00 PM »
Groovy Scott. I'm in no hurry.  Jim will vouch for that. :P

Yep, tis true. I've got stuff for him that's been sitting here for what, a couple months, that's just waiting for him to give me the word to send it up. But I'm in no hurry if he isn't. Right now, he has his own entire corner in my collection room. My room will seem so bare once it's gone.  ;)

And to answer what my favorite other toy line is, it would have to be the Simpsons also. I only collect Simpsons and Mcfarlane baseball sportspicks and as much as I like the baseball figs, I like Simpsons even more.  

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2003, 09:07 AM »
Besides Star Wars and LOTR, I collect Hasbro's Transformers G1 Commerative Series. People blather on and on about Takara's stuff being better, but missiles don't really matter that much to me. Besides, that chrome wears off eventually.

I'm really hot and cold on MOTU. Probably due to the length of time that passes between actually finding the figures.

I tried to start on the Buffy line, but after receiving a couple of figures and MAC canceling the line and then putting out exclusives, who knows where that's going. ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2003, 02:16 PM »
I'd say McFarlane is my other fav., even though I don't buy much of it (only got 2 Mc's).

21st Century Toys is definately up there on the list, too.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2003, 02:56 PM »
I've scaled back, so it's just Star Wars and McFarlane movie figs.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2003, 03:17 PM »
LOTR is my second favorite.  I don't have a complete collection by far.  It was Simpsons, but it reached a point where even I didn't recognize some of these people.  So I don't collect those any more.  Also, no cash/space.  

I have a few figs from various lines, Spidey, X2, ML, Star Trek, but mostly I stick to Star Wars.

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2003, 06:03 PM »
Probably Jurassic Park, seeing as I have almost all JP items excluding maybe a dozen or so odd figures.

However, JP3's stuff really sent me into disappointment and hasbro's dumping the line pissed me off.  Hopefully some decent company picks it up for JP4.

Then there is the Buffy line, but thats a real hard line to complete considering MAC more or less created a scalper market for all those figures, and getting one for less than $25 is a real trick.  Lets not factor in their exclusives and chase variants....it just gets worse.

SW is really the only line I buy from on a regular basis...and I picked up the Movie Maniacs predators too...missed the clear one tho, which has me PO'ed.  Its always exclusives anymore in the figure world.

Why do companies feed the scalper market...

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2003, 10:37 PM »
Star Wars is and always has been my favorite by far...   As far as other lines,  I've started collecting the new MOTU and I dabble in G.I. Joe's new line. :)