Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011  (Read 50742 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011
« Reply #45 on: September 7, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Yikes, gotta drop some QBs. At least I didn't have to turn Auto Draft on until the last 2-3 rounds

What's your team name Diddly?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 7, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Tommy Wiseau
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 7, 2011, 11:29 PM »
So, I offered up a trade with Scott and it says "Trade: Pending trade between Ramminators and Ice Cream Maker Guys - [ details ]"

Anyone else seeing this?  I can't tell if that means the trade was approved or not.  One of the guys in the trade is a Thursday night player, so Commish, can you make this happen before game time assuming Scott agreed to the trade?

Thanks!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2011, 11:52 PM »
I don't think he can do that...but I agreed to the trade

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 8, 2011, 12:02 AM »
I don't think he can do that...but I agreed to the trade

We ran into this last year with a trade and I believe he can force approve it if the trade involves early game players.  Brent, can we get a ruling?

I am trading MJD and K. Winslow to Scott for S. Jackson and J. Finley.  I knew Scott wouldn't be able to handle a Packer on his team for more than 2 hours.   ;)

Thanks guys!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 8, 2011, 12:07 AM »
One, I can't get into yahoo anything right now.  But two, I don't think I can adjust the rosters like that at this point.  I'll see what the rules say when I get in there, but I also prefer to adhere to the rules regarding vetos of trades which is a two day waiting period.  I'm not remotely opposed to the trade, but others may be, so forcing the switch without unanimous approval would be overstepping my bounds. 

Not that I'm opposed to overstepping my bounds, but only for things I believe in  ;)  And I was hoping to land MJD but oh well  :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 8, 2011, 12:17 AM »
One, I can't get into yahoo anything right now.  But two, I don't think I can adjust the rosters like that at this point.  I'll see what the rules say when I get in there, but I also prefer to adhere to the rules regarding vetos of trades which is a two day waiting period.  I'm not remotely opposed to the trade, but others may be, so forcing the switch without unanimous approval would be overstepping my bounds. 

Not that I'm opposed to overstepping my bounds, but only for things I believe in  ;)  And I was hoping to land MJD but oh well  :P

Okay, thanks for checking.  My team isn't really where I'd like it having autodrafted the first two spots and my 7th rounder, so I'm hoping we can make an exception to the usual 2-day trading period.  I obviously couldn't have worked out a trade for this week any faster and would have drafted differently if I could have been drafting live. 

As added incentive, I'll give up any right to complain about my partially autodrafted team for the rest of the season if we can make the trade happen before kickoff tomorrow.  That ought to be enough incentive for everyone.  =)

Scott - thanks for the trade!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 8, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Aside from the fact that JediJMan is tossing away his first round pick for a late 2nd rounder, all before a single game is played, I think we need to respect the rules and the regular trade waiting period.

There is no precedent for forcing through a trade just because one owner had to autodraft, whatever the reason, not being home, computer frozen etc. etc.  That's no reason to give Scott an extra first round player, without giving all of the owners time to review the trade as per the normal protocols.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 8, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Aside from the fact that JediJMan is tossing away his first round pick for a late 2nd rounder, all before a single game is played, I think we need to respect the rules and the regular trade waiting period.

There is no precedent for forcing through a trade just because one owner had to autodraft, whatever the reason, not being home, computer frozen etc. etc.  That's no reason to give Scott an extra first round player, without giving all of the owners time to review the trade as per the normal protocols.

Those are all valid points, and I get that you value MJD higher than S. Jackson.  I have him ranked higher as well, but not by much, and I am improving my TE situation, so the trade is worth it to me.  True, there is no precedent for forcing a trade early, but I don't think we've run into circumstances like this previously. 

#1 Brent can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the 2-day waiting period is only in play to make sure that wildly unfair trades are blocked.  A trade has never been blocked since I've been playing and I don't think anyone considers this switch wildly unfair.  The 2-day waiting period seems like more of a technicality, which isn't a very good reason to screw up week 1 for two teams.

#2 Consider the circumstances.  I tested my system with yahoo and it very quickly told me I was set for the draft.  The draft room opened at 7:30 CST and I sat there for 40min with two PCs trying to get in.  Ended up rebooting both and trying with both Explorer and Firefox.  Not sure how I could have done anything differently to get in.  I ended up on autodraft for picks 1, 2, and 7 and got three players I never would have taken.  Not sure what else I could have done here.  This isn't a "normal trade" by any means - this is trying to fix my team following an unforeseeable issue with the drafting process.  I'm not asking to trade anyone that I drafted on my own.

#3 This is the perfect storm of timing.  We held the draft one day before the start of the season and one of the guys involved in the trade plays less than 24 hours from when we drafted.  If we had drafted at an earlier date or the Packers were playing Sunday, this wouldn't be an issue.  Again, I'm asking you to overlook protocol to help a brother out after some unfortunate circumstances.   ;)

I commission two leagues and play in 4 others besides this one.  In all six I know that we would just make the move if this happened to any of the drafters.  That said, this is supposed to be a fun league, so I'll shut up about it after this and abide by whatever Brent says.  It sure would be nice though if we could find a way to make it work.  As seasoned FFL drafters, I'm sure most of you can imagine the disgust in not being able to pick for your 1st, 2nd, or 7th round picks.

Here are a couple of new ideas I had...

#1 - if I can get everyone to post that they are okay with the trade before 5pm, would that be sufficient for getting the trade processed in time?  I'll do the legwork in contacting everyone if this is what you guys need.

#2 - Since I Can't see anyone blocking the trade, can I just confirm that I want to play Finley tonight and have Brent auto-correct my score at the end of the week?  All of the other players will move in time for us to get them into lineups.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Justin

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 8, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Rob, I don't think your waiver position will change if you simply make a roster change (drop player / add player from FA) BEFORE tonight's game.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 8, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Ok, I'm now at the point where I'm irritated. 

Rob forgot to draft a kicker last night.  Since he was only looking for a player on Sunday's game, rather than tonight I was willing to make that change for him.  But is it fair to do that and not help Justin?  I don't know. 

Now I got an email from Patrick asking me to change the waiver settings to allow him to get a different defense because he doesn't want New Orleans tonight. 

Justin wants a trade to go through faster than is the norm in our settings. 

This is getting stupid and I'm about to be a massive prick. 

Here's the deal: I'm not making any changes.

I'm not making the change to Rob's kicker foolishness simply because I cannot favor him over everyone else.  I'm sorry Rob, I consider it completely trivial to switch out a late round draft pick for a kicker but in doing so my actions will be unfair.  Rob, do not do a change yet because it will affect your waiver priority.  Players will be off waivers Friday or Saturday, ample time to pick up a kicker for Sunday's matchup.

For Patrick I'm sorry, but you drafted a defense last night that plays today against a tough foe.  That's a mistake but nothing I can change just because you found a better matchup. 

Justin, I too am sorry for all your computer difficulties and that autodraft didn't give you what you want.  But I find it problematic to change the rules so you can gain an advantage over your opponent for this week.  Your opponent did not invoke the computer problems that afflicted you.  I can see no reason why I should penalize the Tatooine Banthas for your problems with the draft.  Forcing a change today puts him at a disadvantage because of nothing he did.   

Folks, JD sports drafts, whether they are football, basketball, hockey or baseball happen as close to the regular season as we can possibly set them up.  This is what we've done historically and it is done so that we can minimize the impact of injured players being drafted.  We also historically draft on a Wednesday night during the eight o'clock CST time area usually 8:00 to 8:30 CST.  This hasn't changed in a very long time.  If there's a game the next day, you need to be aware of it when you are drafting. 

Perhaps next year you'll have a commissioner that is more compassionate. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 8, 2011, 11:49 AM »
I'm totally cool with that Brent.  I never expected any commish help here and am fine with picking one up on Saturday.  Quite frankly I don't think it should be any other way.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2011, 11:50 AM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 8, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Also just checked one other thing.

If everyone is unhappy with my commissioner decisions in the post above, I'm really quite happy to transfer the commissioner role to someone that the group prefers.  I can do that under yahoo settings so if there's a preferred body to a crusty old man, let me know. 

Thanks for your understanding Rob. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 8, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Don't transfer.  What you outlined is absolutely the right decision and the only fair thing to do.  Not all favors are equal and the ONLY solution is to reserve commissioner power for fixing real glitches or things that **** up competitive balance, not to fix small goofs.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2011, 12:03 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 8, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I'm fine with these decisions as well - I was just making my case.  I'm not sure my trade disadvantages the Banthas - if anything he is unfairly advantaged by the timing of the games.  As DR pointed out, this trade should make my team weaker.  ;) 

I do think my case is different from the others though.  I didn't forget to draft a kicker or decide I wanted a different defense after the fact.  I was in at 7:30 trying to get into the draft room and did everything humanly possible to put myself in a position to select my own players.  Its not Bantha's fault that I didn't get the guys I wanted, but not sure what in the world I could have done differently, so it kind of blows to be penalized for that.

I don't blame you for not making the changes - this league is supposed to be fun and I'm sorry that I've added to any stress as commish.  I manage two other leagues, so I totally know how that goes.  I will just start a different TE for this week and all will be good.  Though I reserve the right to whine like all hell when Finley gets 3 TDs tonight.   ;)

Justin

PS - if you ever do want a co-comissioner to help out, I would be happy to join you.  I think you're doing a great job, but if you're tired of it or just want a second person to help, be sure to let me know.