Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011  (Read 50726 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Football 2011
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Opened waivers today for everyone. 

This is a change from the setting I had, which was 'locked from first game until Tuesday'.  I'm opting for that setting because otherwise the waiver order is meaningless unless someone drops someone of value.  I will reset the waiver setting once tomorrow's games start. 

If more than half of the league votes to have no waivers like we typically do then I'll revert to last year's settings.  My preference, as it Taco boy's (Jim/chuckles) is for the waivers lock from first game until Tuesday, so that is two votes.  Yay or nay?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19 PM »
Brent - can you give an example of the two options?  I've never been comfortable with how the waviers work on Yahoo.  If the waviers lock from the first game to Tuesday, does that just mean those players on waiver cannot be grabbed until Tuesday?  Does this apply to dropped players or free agents as well?  Thanks!

*EDIT* While we're talking waivers, don't you move to the end after you pick someone up?  I see 3 moves listed on the first page.  Two of the owners are now 11th and 12th on the waiver, but the Zods are listed as waiver priority #1 even though they've made a pick up.  I'm sure the explanation is simple, but I don't get it...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:22 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2011, 11:27 PM »
You only move to the end if you claim someone on waivers...if they are free agents you stay put

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2011, 11:28 PM »
I think you have it Justin.

The first game to Tuesday option means that all players, free agents or any other standing are locked down from the start of the first game until the day after the Monday night game.  So you cannot make any switches at that time. 

With the other option, the one we have traditionally used, all players are available at all times, except those that have been dropped by a team in the league and they are on waivers for two days. 

The rationale is that this allows for a more meaningful use of your waiver position.  In a normal NFL week any team in our league can grab anyone from the free agent pool at any time.  Under this option you can still do that from Tuesday until the first game (so Thursday or Saturday or Sunday's first game of the week, depending on how the schedule runs for that given week). 

What changes is that if you're sitting and watching a Sunday game and someone goes down with an injury and their backup is inserted and goes off, you can't just automatically go and get that guy.  Everyone has a shot at it, but the successful league team will be the person with the highest waiver position.  So right now, Rob is that guy. 

The argument is that it raises the value of the waiver position and gives everyone a fair shot at players, not just those that watch all the games with an iPad or whatever in hand. 

In case anyone missed it, I've set the waivers to off until about 2:00 or so tomorrow, whenever I get back from my daughter's basketball tryouts.  I did that because of all the requests to do something and also because it didn't seem right to be locked down on picking up players right away.  Changing the waivers was something I did but didn't clearly inform so I felt I should at least open it up for a while.  I did send an email to all in the league about it.

I am seeking feedback (other than Brent you're an idiot, I can get that at home) on this and am putting it to a vote. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Okay, thanks for clarifying.  I do like the idea of blocking people from picking someone up mid game, as it gives an unfair advantage to those with greater access to the games and like you said, negates the usefullness of the waiver.  My only concern here is not being able to pick up a player between Thursday and Sunday noon. 

What happens if my planned Sunday-game kicker is questionable on Thursday?  There is an unrelated Thursday night game and on Friday my kicker is listed as out.  If I'm interpreting correctly, the lock would negate my ability to grab a replacement for that week unless I had picked up a spare kicker before the Thursday game, right?  Or a far more likely scenario, I'm an owner that doesn't look at my team until Friday to realize I need another starter and find that I'm locked out.

Assuming I'm thinking of this correctly, then I'm in favor of the lock out until Tuesday, but would suggest we make the cutoff 12:00 Sunday instead of the start of the early game.  Probably won't matter either way in most weeks, but I think the Thursday lock has more potential to hurt than help given the scenarios above.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59 AM »
Mu understanding is that we're only talking about this week... post-draft but pre-start of the season.  Next week if you need or want a player you can grab any free agent without changing your waiver position.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2011, 01:13 AM »
That's right Rob.  During the week you can grab anyone at any time.  Once the first game is played, waivers are in effect on all players. 

I haven't checked the season schedule, but we don't usually start seeing Thursday games usually until about Black Friday or some time in November.  So a good portion of the season with the new settings you're basically locked from noon Sunday until the Monday night game is done.  I don't know exactly what time it comes unlocked, but if it's anything like the rest of yahoo's settings it's probably 12:00 midnight PST. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2011, 02:14 AM »
Count me in as liking the new rules. I figure we can discuss the Thursday-Monday rule further when the time comes.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14 PM »
If you guys could just scale back the relentless trash-talking going on in this thread since the Week 1 games, that would be great.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I can't believe my team sucked as bad as it did

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2011, 03:21 PM »

You and me both.  I need about 4 TD's from Brady to Hernandez to manage a win.

Of course, last year my team scored about 100 in each of the first two weeks then went on to suck for the rest of the year.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2011, 04:11 PM »
I plan to once again have an above average regular season then get destroyed in the first week of the playoffs as usual.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I have no expectations this year.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I expect that a lack of injuries will determine the winner of the football pool.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 07:18 PM »

You and me both.  I need about 4 TD's from Brady to Hernandez to manage a win.

Of course, last year my team scored about 100 in each of the first two weeks then went on to suck for the rest of the year.

In my marvelousnews.com league, I have Brady, Hernandez (TE), BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Welker, and Gostkowski going and I need like 60 points to win.

In this league, it's the exact opposite.  If the Patriots go nuts I might be in trouble.

So I'm definitely going to win one of these games, and I always hope it's the JD one.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda