Author Topic: Background character resculpts  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Background character resculpts
« on: June 6, 2011, 12:13 PM »
There's tons of main character resculpts we all want to see, but what about the background characters? When will they get some resculpt love? Since we're finally getting updated Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba figures, now might be a good time to think about other much needed background character updates.

Mon Mothma
This figure looks almost as lifeless as the actress who played her (seriously, her acting is abysmal in ROTJ), and looks even worse with the updated Admiral Ackbar.

Ree Yees
One of my all-time favorite Jabba's palace goons. The POTF2 figure features the awkward stepping stance and needlessly muscular build which plagued that line.

Yakface
The ever-elusive Yakface would benefit from some cloth goods and bendable knees.

Cantina Band Member
The POTF2 sculpt is really starting to show it's age with these guys (well, I guess it's technically one figure). the split leg stance makes them look less like an alien jazz group and more like they should be rocking out on stage with Slash.

Snaggletooth
Part of the (for it's time) great Cantina aliens cinema scene pack, this guy could really benefit from an update. Especially one that highlights his hunchback and let's him finally sit down.

Chancellor Valorum
Boring character, but one that would benefit from a redo.

Squid Head
I know his name is "Tessek", but he'll always be Squid Head to me. This guy has a pretty decent sculpt, being part of the POTJ line, but would really benefit from cloth goods. He's seen sitting in Jabba's palace a few times.

Admiral Motti
Seriously, this sculpt was showing it's age a few years ago...time for a redo.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Background character resculpts
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Good choices Ed, I'd add the following:

Nien Nunb
Captain/Admiral Piett
Uncle Owen
Aunt Beru
« Last Edit: June 6, 2011, 12:43 PM by Scott »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Oh man, how could I forget Lando's eloquent co-pilot?! Yeah, we need a new Nien Nunb asap.

Actually, all four of those choices are definite must-haves.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2011, 02:41 PM »
We need to get some Ishi Tibb love in here. He is the quintessential back grounder. You have to pause the movie to even see him.

I would love to see all of the characters mentioned here resculpted.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2011, 06:57 PM »

I think about some Bespin guards (caucasian and afroamerican) which could come with an open jacket feature for army build.

Also I would like to have a new Rebel Endor Commando that updates the all green suit, perhaps a soldier with an extra piece for belt and bandolier, an accurate paintjob on camouflage.

A resculpt of the OT Tusken, Sand people, if this comes with sofgoods, more definition on the rob.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Definitely great choices guys, and always a fun topic to ponder...

Some wants of mine:

-Blue Snaggletooth...  I want something that more closely resembles the original.  Silver spacey boots with weird toes, the tight silver bodysuit, and a headsculpt that looks like Takeel more than the Xmas special weirdo.  No half-assed attempt like the last one, something legitimate.

-Red Snaggletooth (Takeel)...  I agree, this guy needs a redo.  He was my favorite Cantina alien as a kid, and I'd like something that either A) is totally screen accurate and up to modern standards, or B) is a Vintage homage, short with furry feet and stuff.  I'd prefer both, honestly.  But Takeel would obviously have to be a movie accurate figure, up to modern standards.

-Nabrun Leids...  4 arms?  Imagine the articulation this figure could get these days.  What if Hasbro even went the extra mile for a removable mask?  I'd go nuts for this guy getting a cool modern update.

-Labria...  He's chilling in a seat, can he finally actually sit?

-Cantina Wolfman Lak Sivrak...  Sure he's not in the movie anymore, but in my heart he'll always be lurking in the corner somewhere, probably having just peed on the floor.  He'd be a fine one to update IMO.

-Yakface...  A "faux fur" stache?  It's something I've pondered trying as a custom gimmick, and if Hasbro beat me to it, I'd not cry foul.

-Ishi Tib...  The Tibrian we got was from the Tibrian Militia, and so that's who I'd like to see updated obviously, but I wouldn't turn my nose to the one in Jabba's palace as a new figure either.

-Academy Biggs...  Weird choice, I know, but the figure had deco bleeding problems and stuff.  I'd rebuy him in a heartbeat if they fixed the deco and maybe gave him some new legs so he could sit.  I'm probably in the minority, but I'd dig it.

-Pilot Biggs...  Too friggin' tall.

-Porkins...  I'm not insane to get this, but I'd buy it if they updated him.  Still, fat guys don't do well at retail so I'd probably not cry if they skipped him... but there's something about having all my pilots able to sit that I'd really enjoy.

-Wuher...  It'd be nice if this guy could actually do something other than hand someone a drink.  Even posed like he's cleaning a glass would be a step forward.

-Aunt Beru & Uncle Owen...  Who doesn't want these two redone at this point?  If Hasbro were extra nice, their accessories (other than cloth coat for Owen) would be skeletal remains.  Not likely, but it'd be the thing that puts them over the top from "boring old farmer couple", to "Wow, I want that!" for some folks I think.

-Nein Numb...  Absolutely...  They've done such great removable hats on Sullustans now, but NN is just sitting around spinning his wheels these days.

-Snowspeeder Wedge...  the current Wedge debate rages on, but how about getting us a new SS version already?  Or are you just waiting to put him in with an exclusive repaint of the new speeder?  Hmmm... ;)

-General Tarrffull...  Going prequal here, but his figure eats it, and he really needs an update.

-Smaller Wookiee Warrior...  Likewise, not all Wookiees are HUGE, and Hasbro's 2nd Wookiee Warrior (the one with the action feature) was lacking all kinds of articulation, plus it had the lame feature.  Articulate him right, and he's an outstanding mid-size.  :)

-Skiff Guards...  Any of them that haven't been done in the last couple years, pretty much.  Original Weequay Guard, Klaatu Skiff, Nikto Skiff, original POTF2 Barada attempt (all 3 from the same pack), the elephant looking guy that drives the skiff and whose name escapes me right now...  I'd take updates to all of them.

-Jabba's Dancers...  horribly underarticulated statues.  Oola makes them look lame by comparison.

-Vintage Sy Snootles...  seriously already.

-Cantina Band...  Totally agree on this.

-Amanaman...  Liked the comic Amanin figure, but Jabba's Palace Amanaman is really needing his own update.

Where this line is concerned, I'm honestly, at this point, more interested in Hasbro updating a lot of stuff than "new".  New is becoming hard to come up with, without it being almost comical.  You just can't hope for every wave to be crammed with obscurity, so resculpting is a simple necessity for the line's life. 

For me then, I'm open to almost anything getting a facelift in this line.  Main guys are a given, and some may even be unnecessary (so I'll skip them ultimately), but the secondary level needs some love too.  It's when you get to the next level down that it's tough to justify some of the choices I suppose.  Hell, even at the secondary level, guys like Ellors Madak are a little difficult to ask for a new one I guess.  Still, I'd rebuy him if he was a real home run.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2011, 10:46 PM »
Owen isn't a background character. He's a supporting/minor speaking role, and has more lines that Boba Fett.  

I'm nitpicking.  :D

- Chief Bast with hat on.

- Motti, yes, and if he could somehow sit and still look good standing.

- Classic original Weequay

- That remaining vintage Ewok whose name may have been changed.

- Orrimaarko, an easy-as-a-new-headsculpt for them to make.

- The Special Ed (ha-ha) Jabba's Palace Dancers...yeah, I say that as some who hated Jedi Rocks.

- Yarael Poof, he's a jedi...it's almost given he will be updated...almost. Robot Chicken made this guy a must have update. Funny story, I picked up a 2002 Jedi Unleashed Game: Battle of Geonosis free at a yard sale, there's 18 Jedi icons and they include Poof, who wasn't there (on screen anyway). Eth Koth instead of Agen Kolar, too.

-The Kamino training Clone...there was no reason for the original release to be as weak as it was.

- A rebel commando that doesn't suck on some level. Vintage was close to not sucking, but Hasbro pulled defeat out of sure victory with the words "bald" and "goatee"
« Last Edit: June 6, 2011, 10:49 PM by scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2011, 11:06 PM »
I love the new Endor Rebel, he's good for what he is, but I'd take that a step further to say they should do vested troopers using the new figure's body and new headsculpts (Nik Sant, a fairly generic non-facial hair guy, the black fellow with a mustache...  they're kind of the 3 I'd like to see just in vests).

I'd say also that the POTF2 Endor Commando needs an update as it's a pretty significantly different costume, and the original vintage Commando is in something like the POTF2 Commando but his hooded camo coat he has on is opened completely so I'd dig getting a vintage update on that.  Endor Rebels I'd rebuy a ton of them.

And if they wanted to give us a non-bald guy with a thinner/stubbly goatee in the trenchcoat, I'd nab him too, since that's more true to what the Endor Commando Sergeant actually looks like (Sideshow nailed it).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2011, 11:42 PM »
- Hammerhead: I know we just got a new one a few years ago, but come on, 5 points of articulation in 2006? Definitely would take an articulated upgrade, especially after we got the Hammerhead Jedi in 2007.

- Tarfuul: The original is awful, let's get a decent version

- General Veers: Again, a figure we got recently, but again, he stinks, especially after we got an awesome AT-AT Commander last year

- General Riekan: Current version fits in well with say a figure from the POTJ line but the standards have been upped

- Mon Calamari Deck Officer: The POTJ figure is still awesome but outdated. Give him the TVC Ackbar treatment
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Oh man, I forgot about the Mon Cal officer...yeah, I want a ton of those guys.

Great choices here! I agree about the Rebel Commandos, and I would army build the hell out of those guys. I want to much to retire my POTF2 Endor rebels, but we just don't have a good version of that costume. And the Saga rebels have that crappety crap pose. God, I hated the Saga line...

I'm all about the Jabba's palace aliens. So many of them were made a long time ago, and need to be updated. The POTF2 figures in particular stick out like a sore thumb in my diorama, and I really want them to be refreshed.

From the looks of this list, I don't think any of us will have a hard time coming up with choices for the ROTJ wishlist.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2011, 02:23 PM »
I think part of what makes it so hard to come up with Prequal resculpts, at least from ROTS, is the figures weren't too bad to begin with (generally).  Some of them did need an update though, like Tarrful for sure, but it's tough for me to look at some of those ROTS figures and feel like I'd be that interested in a new one.

Or maybe the Prequals just truly are that devoid of interesting background people?

I liked the prequals too, but I just can't bring myself to ask for a better Elan Sleazbagano.   :-[  The one we have, has like zero articulation too.  But it'd hurt to pay $8.99 for him.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I liked the prequals too, but I just can't bring myself to ask for a better Elan Sleazbagano.   :-[  The one we have, has like zero articulation too.  But it'd hurt to pay $8.99 for him.

Amen. I feel that way about most figures, and am basically passing on PT for OT figures.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I think the Sleazbango figure is fine as is, he is a good figure from the lackluster prequels. Why would he ever need to be resculpted? I cannot disagree with having less enthusiasm for prequel backgrounders (or any character from them )in general like I do the OTC. The OTC is loaded with so many lovable muppets and obscurities that seems to never end. I would go nuts for a Wort or the balding seal faced Mosep. I can't think of one prequel character that I am jonesing for.

I would even love to see these losers before prequel characters:

Ariq Joanson

Debnoli

Local Ugly Man # 2 (unnamed)

Corellian Pirate (unnamed)/

I know the above is off topic but it was more in response to the resounding agreement that we all want more OTC before prequel stuff!
« Last Edit: June 7, 2011, 04:59 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Oh yeah, you have to love Debnoli. Is the character supposed to be tweaking out, or is the actor trying to steal the scene...I never could decide.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2011, 05:26 PM »
I think part of what makes it so hard to come up with Prequal resculpts, at least from ROTS, is the figures weren't too bad to begin with (generally).  Some of them did need an update though, like Tarrful for sure, but it's tough for me to look at some of those ROTS figures and feel like I'd be that interested in a new one.

Utapau Warrior/Security could be better (if anyone cared). Or maybe it was those little force unleashed guys that drove home how under articulated he is.

Or maybe the Prequals just truly are that devoid of interesting background people?

Or that there's gobs of background people...and most of them aren't interesting. Outlander Nightclub is no Creature Cantina! Senate hall is no Jabba's Palace!

At current price points, I'm also more inclined to buy Original Trilogy bit players, too.