Author Topic: Go see Super 8 right now  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Go see Super 8 right now
« on: June 11, 2011, 02:25 PM »
If we have a thread for this movie, merge away, if not... go see it now.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
Re: Go see Super 8 right now
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:13 PM »
If we have a thread for this movie, merge away, if not... go see it now.

I don't fancy camping outside of the cinema until 5th August.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:32 PM »
It's screening now here in Australia and the previews did intrigue me.

Will be seeing it very soon.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I've heard it's basically ET if ET was the Cloverfield monster... I may need some convincing. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Non-spoiler brief review that echoes Rob's sentiment completely:  Abrams has done a "classic" Spielberg movie.  It really is a love letter to films like "Close Encounters" and "ET" to say the least. 

And, again, go NOW.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Non-spoiler brief review that echoes Rob's sentiment completely:  Abrams has done a "classic" Spielberg movie.  It really is a love letter to films like "Close Encounters" and "ET" to say the least. 

And, again, go NOW.

Yep, with a bunch of Goonies thrown in... a group of kids on a very adult adventure.  It was freaking phenomenal. 

I don't fancy camping outside of the cinema until 5th August.

Why?  Where do you live?  I'm in downtown Chicago and saw went to an early screening today, piece of cake with no wait and I only bought the tickets one day early.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:13 AM »
Apparently the UK doesn't get this till August. No wonder people download movies with a wait like that.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:48 AM »
US Release was June 10th.  Click here for showtimes near you.

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/super-8/10037412/main
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:09 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02 AM »
Saw Super 8 last night and really liked it.  It was actually a little better than I thought it would be.  But what's up with JJ Abrams and his infatuation with these alien invasions?  And the look of them, this one, the Cloverfield monster and one of the Star Trek aliens (from the ice planet) all have a similar feel to them.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty solid movie and I'm suprised it didn't do better box office numbers. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I've heard it's basically ET if ET was the Cloverfield monster... I may need some convincing. :P

And if you add The Goonies to that you're spot-on in terms of describing this movie.

I saw it yesterday. Glad I went to a matinee as opposed to paying night-time prices. I think it was just "okay", it wasn't something I would run out to see immediately. The acting from the group of kids was the best part of the movie though - everything else was stuff you've seen before.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08 AM »
- everything else was stuff you've seen before.

That's what I loved so much about it - the nostalgia factor was off the charts for me.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15 AM »
I managed to see it yesterday and I'll totally echo the ET, Cloverfield, Goonies tone of the film.  It was okay, but nothing Super IMO.  I did enjoy to see the final "cut" of their little movie during the credits.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Saw it on Friday and enjoyed it.  Wasn't sure what to expect with it based on the previews I saw but decided to take a shot at it and like it a lot. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Saw it last night, I enjoyed it a lot but ultimately it struck me as less pure Abrams and more of a Spielberg/Abrams mash-up. (Which makes sense given the dual production credits) It was very well done, and a solid summer movie for sure, but it left me wanting somehow.

I think overall I was hoping for something a bit darker, more like Cloverfield, which is my favorite thing he has ever done. (Sequel already!)

The kids were all great for sure. I just wish we could have seen more/better shots of the actual creature. It was even harder to see what it looked like than Clover. I always have that problem with CGI things, they move too fast for the human eye to really process the image. Whereas creatures done with actual physical suits/costumes looks so much more realistic (IE: The Predator). IMHO.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Saw it tonight and loved every single minute of it...definitely got the ET and Goonies....but most heavily I felt a ton of Close Encounters.  Great stuff...especially the kids.