Author Topic: The Avengers (SPOILERS)  (Read 137155 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers (and sequels)
« Reply #225 on: May 7, 2012, 09:40 AM »
LOVED this.  Whedon just punched his ticket.  This movie was so damned good, I really have trouble finding fault with anything.  The Hulk was totally awesome.

As far as the Hulk goes, I think it was strongly implied that Banner had learned how to control the Hulk to an extent, even going back to the coda of The Incredible Hulk.  I think when he went nuts on the carrier, it was because he didn't initiate the transformation.

I guess my one gripe would be the ultra-generic looking alien cannon fodder.  Why they kept that a secret forever is lost on me.  It did not hinder the movie at all, but what was all the cloak and dagger about?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 7, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Good point on the aliens.  I thought that part of the story was lacking a bit.  I get that they found Loki and made a deal with him, but I'm not familiar with that race from the comics or what they're about.  They seem to have combined organic & mechanic tech, which would be interesting to know a little more about.  I can never figure out why they don't include things like this in a little piece of dialogue.  Fury could have a file on them, Loki could have said more about them when he is discussing plans early on...lots of options here to give us 60 seconds on what these guys were all about. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #227 on: May 7, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Fury probably wouldn't have a file on a species of aliens that nobody knew about before... unless it was an X-File!   ;)

I think "generic invading force" worked fine.  They wanted the cube.  Loki had it.  Why do we need to know much more about them?  They already had what - 8 major characters and a handful of minor ones to give motivation/depth too.  Throwing up more info on why the Chitauri want the cube to conquer the universe wouldn't add much, IMO.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 7, 2012, 01:01 PM »

I think "generic invading force" worked fine.  They wanted the cube.  Loki had it.  Why do we need to know much more about them?  They already had what - 8 major characters and a handful of minor ones to give motivation/depth too.  Throwing up more info on why the Chitauri want the cube to conquer the universe wouldn't add much, IMO.

I completely agree.  I guess I just question why they kept it so hush-hush.  It definitely did not detract from the movie in any way.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 7, 2012, 02:06 PM »

I completely agree.  I guess I just question why they kept it so hush-hush.  It definitely did not detract from the movie in any way.

I just got home from seeing the movie.  First?  WOW!

Second, I think there will be more revealed about the Chitauri in a future installment of Avengers.  Especially considering the first credit teaser scene.  The Chitauri leader started the film conspiring with Loki.  At some point we may see more about Loki and how he was able to link up with the Chitauri, and their own motivations.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 7, 2012, 02:14 PM »
My understanding is that the Chitauri aren't even from the regular Marvel Earth-616.  It seems that they are from the Ultimate Universe which I do not follow pretty much at all.

I'd have preferred Skrulls.  Or Kree.  Or Annihilation Wave.  All of which have attempted to invade Earth numerous times.

But considering the Chitauri tried to take over Earth, they really didn't factor into the story much anyhow.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 7, 2012, 03:52 PM »
Final numbers are in for the domestic weekend gross:

$207,438,708   

That's nuts!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 7, 2012, 04:46 PM »
Fury probably wouldn't have a file on a species of aliens that nobody knew about before... unless it was an X-File!   ;)

I was thinking they may have an Area 51 file from capturing a Chitauri spy or something.  I'm not looking for a lengthy history or major character detailing here - just a little something more to understand who/what they are.  Why did they need Loki to get the cube or lead them if they had this huge invasion force?  Have they been watching Earth long?  Are they a race of conquerors?  Are they slaves fighting against their will?  Do they want land? Slaves? Water?  What's up with their technology being partially alive?  It seems like they're just a convenient way to get all the Avengers mixing it up at once.

I guess I just wanted more of a sense of purpose from these guys.  I doubt a true invasion plan of Earth would have been centered around a single portal opening above New York City, where the invading army intends to take over the planet by blowing up buildings and killing as many NYC office workers and cab drivers as they can. 

I'd have been just fine with another minute of dialogue between Loki and Head Chitauri Dude, explaining something like this:
 - The Chitauri are a race of warriors who have already conquered everything in their sector of space.
 - They have been able to defeat everyone due to their unique cyborg tech, weaving organic and mechanical contstructs into weapons
 - Resources and labor are running thin for the Chitauri Empire
 - They are looking to expand their rule and Earth is ripe with slaves, but too distant without the Cube to bring them there and sustain their invasion
 - Once they destory New York they can use it as an example to get the countries of Earth to surrender

It's not perfect, but that little explanation or something like it would have gone a long way in helping make the Chirauri invasion at least somewhat credible.  I loved the movie and will definitely watch again - this is really my only complaint with it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 8, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I agree with that regarding the 'who, what, how and why' of the Chitari; it's kind of like GL story-telling: "read the book if you want motivation, exposition, explanations, I'm all about putting the big digital bang on the screen!"
all kidding aside, the Avengers was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 8, 2012, 09:43 AM »
I haven't seen the movie yet but is the plot the same as the one used in the Ultimate Avengers movie from a few years ago? They used the Chitauri too.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #235 on: May 8, 2012, 09:52 AM »
It is very much a combination of the first two Ultimates series.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: May 8, 2012, 10:10 AM »
$207,438,708

Am I the only person left in America who hasn't seen this yet...?  Man, Cap & Friends sure have set the summer bar high for Batman and Spidey.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 8, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I saw it again, and Thanos is there right at the beginning, pulling the strings with the Chitauri leader.  It is implied that the Chitauri are his army (or more to the point, it is never implied that they are only teaming up with Thanos).  So their motivation is left intentionally vague for the reveal in the credits.  Again, their motivation is not at all important to the plot of the film.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2012, 10:24 AM by Qui-Gon Jim »

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 8, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Also, Loki is directly asked by Thor who he is working for and he does not answer.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #239 on: May 8, 2012, 11:10 AM »
I haven't. Taking a half day off work tomorrow and going while the wife is at work and the girls are at daycare.  8)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird