Author Topic: The Avengers (SPOILERS)  (Read 137503 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: The Avengers (and sequels)
« Reply #405 on: May 1, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Saw it last night as well, thought is was really well done. A bit plodding at times, but needed to break up the virtually non-stop action. Vision and Wanda/SW were the stand outs here. Surprised by the storyline focus that Hawkeye got.

Highlights:
"Veronica" - love how that was handled and how it worked as a containment system/parts store
Ultron - Spader seemed to have a great time with that role.
Humor overall was good, and the opening word in the film was "****".
Loved seeing the return of War Machine and Falcon - especially at the end at the headquarters/
Vision was very well done. I'm not sure how much of a departure from the comics they took with his origins but it seems to work here.
The twins were great with Scarlett Witch being my fav and I like this version of Quicksilver more that the DOFP version.
Effects overall were amazing

Lowlights:
Baron Von Strucker seemed to just be thrown in there
I could have done without the TWO sappy love subplots but I gave decent character dev. so I guess it's okay.

Two thumbs up, I need to see this in IMAX 3D yet as i've heard a lot of great things and you get to see The Force Awakens trailer with that presentation too. :)
« Last Edit: May 1, 2015, 09:29 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 1, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Loved it.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 1, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Saw it last night as well, thought is was really well done. A bit plodding at times, but needed to break up the virtually non-stop action.

I guess I sort felt like the story was disjointed from the beginning to the end.  Parts felt super-rushed and parts felt like they were dragged out way to much. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #408 on: May 1, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Thoughts from those that have seen it - OK for my two 8 (almost 9) year olds? 

I've seen mixed reviews on language/violence levels... especially since it starts out with a "bang". 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #409 on: May 1, 2015, 03:02 PM »

I've seen mixed reviews on language/violence levels... especially since it starts out with a "bang".

Should be okay. There are a few swears in there; "****", "son of a bitch" and some innuendo ex: Tony teasing BW and Hulk about "hiding the zucchini". Nothing too traumatic I guess. A few nice cleavage shots of Black Widow and Scarlett Witch, too.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 1, 2015, 03:03 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #410 on: May 1, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Thanks Jayson.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #411 on: May 2, 2015, 12:57 AM »
I'd hate to be you explaining why you didn't take them Jeff!  :D

Like Jayson said, it's not too over the top with language.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 2, 2015, 02:19 AM »
Just got back. It was alright... nothing special though, which keeps it consistent with the rest of the Phase 2 films IMO. It almost felt like there were too many characters, and unlike the first, they couldn't find enough screen time for them all.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 2, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Are you saying CA:TWS and GotG were just "alright"?!?

This movie isnt threatening for any Oscars, but it was ton of fun, the plot was not insulting, there was plenty of character development, and the action was amazing.

Has Marvel finally turned the magic corner where the fans root for them to fail?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 2, 2015, 03:42 PM »

Sam and I caught up on Cap2, Thor2, and IronMan3 this week, so we're heading out to see Avengers Sunday morning @ Southdale.  If your boys were fine with the other Marvel adventures, I think they'll be fine with this too.  I'll let you know if I feel differently afterwards though.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 2, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Are you saying CA:TWS and GotG were just "alright"?!?

Winter Soldier and Guardians were really good, but Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 left a lot to be desired, IMO. I felt AoU fell below the first two but above those last two. Maybe I was too hyped up for it, or maybe I was expecting someone to be offed. I dunno.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #416 on: May 3, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Saw it in today, liked it didn't love it.   The slow parts were what did it for me I think...I loved the party scene but the second interlude with Hawkeyes house was a drag...I also felt the Klaw inclusion was a bit much as well but there was some cool fights.   I could quite possibly be reaching Super Hero overload...could be the sameness of a lot of these Marvel plots (hey let's try and recover this stolen gem)

Liked the humor, effects were great, liked the end bit how they ended the Hulk plot and how the new team echoes the changing lineups of the comics.  I also didn't like how they couldn't figure out the stone was doing the same don thing it was doing to them in the first movie (infighting)

I'll give it a 7/10...worth seeing in a theater

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 4, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Jeff - my 8 year old loved it and there was nothing beyond the little bit of language that was previously mentioned.  They actually turned the "bad language" into a bit of a joke in the movie.

*WARNING - SPOILERS GALORE*

I saw it yesterday and thought it was even better than the first.  The story was solid from front to back, visuals were amazing, they managed to keep the fun/joking despite a darker story, and I thought they had a great balance across all the characters despite how easy it would be to push a few of these guys to the background. Spader's Ultron was entertaining and came across perfectly from the comics as a creature who outwardly despises humanity, but can't help taking on human forms.  Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver were all done really well - maybe even better than their comic counterparts.  I thought it would be tough to explain her power in so little time, and they changed the nature of it to a great extent, but her "weirdness" was really well done.  I thought the Quicksilver speed would be tough to portray as well, but he had a ton of really well filmed scenes.  Bringing in Falcon and War Machine for small roles was great to see as well and really helps tie these movies together.  I got chills watching Iron Man and War Machine pair up again towards the end and seeing the new cast take shape.  While the stories may differ, this is such a great nod to what the Avengers mean to me in the comics.

Has Marvel finally turned the magic corner where the fans root for them to fail?

Apparently so.   I'm really surprised at the reactions from some of the critics' reviews and comments here.  I heard complaints on the radio this morning about how Ultron didn't seem robotic enough, RDJ seems too old to be Stark, there were too many jokes given the gravity of what was happening, that Avengers was trying to capitalize on the WTC attack by demolishing a building, etc.  Seriously?  I totally understand that people are going to have their own opinions and we all like different things.  And as an Avengers fan since 2nd grade, I'm equally aware that I might have a greater appreciation for the characters and stories verus genpop.  But I would love to better understand some of the feedback.  Maybe people are just burnt out or looking for something not to like?  This film was near perfect for me and easily cracks my top 10 of all time.

Good, certainly not great.  Far behind some of the other Marvel movies but I still enjoyed it.

Far behind which other Marvel movies?  GOTG, IM, and Winter Soldier are probably my top 3, but this and the first Avengers round out my top 5.  Curious to know which ones you'd put so far ahead of this one?

Just got back. It was alright... nothing special though, which keeps it consistent with the rest of the Phase 2 films IMO. It almost felt like there were too many characters, and unlike the first, they couldn't find enough screen time for them all.

I thought they did an amazing job finding relevant storylines for everyone in the cast AND was delighted to see supporting characters show up from the other films, like Heimdall, Erik Selvig, Falcon, War Machine, etc.  Likewise, I was happy that we didn't get Coulson, Potts, Jane Foster, or more Loki as I think having everyone show would be over the top.  I was a little disappointed that Widow's primary role was a love interest for Banner - that felt forced - but it didn't really detract from the movie for me and made Hulk's disappearing act at the end a little more meaningful. 

Maybe I was too hyped up for it, or maybe I was expecting someone to be offed. I dunno.

You mean someone like Quicksilver?   ???  Were you hoping for multiple deaths?  All signs were pointing to Hawkeye (who's one of my favorite characters), so I thought they did a great job switching that up, while still taking someone out.  I was never a fan of Pietro in the comics, but thought he was great here.  I kept hoping he'd pull a Coulson or the witch would resurrect him.

Hawkeyes house was a drag...I also felt the Klaw inclusion was a bit much as well but there was some cool fights.   I could quite possibly be reaching Super Hero overload...

I think you may be reaching Super Hero overload.  They needed to slow things up and get the Avengers off the grid for a while, so while Hawkeye's hideout slowed down the story, I felt like they needed that break.  This is a team that always wins, so to get so decimated they really needed a break.  Clint having a family was the only part of the movie I really didn't care for - not because it was slow, but because that's not who he is in the comics.  I thought he seemed to have something going with the Widow in the first film (and dated her in the comics) and they introduced his comic wife, Bobbi Morse, in AOS, so to make him the family man felt weird to me. 

As for cameos like Klaw, I love those little nods to the fanbase.  Out of curiosity, would you have liked the movie more if it was "Random Arms Dealer" guy instead of Klaw?  Its not a deal breaker for me either way.  The vast majority of people don't know anything about Klaw, so at worst these character additions are just nice Easter Eggs showing comic characters we'll never see elsewhere.  At best, they have the opportunity to go back to that character later on to tell more story.  I love it when comics set up seemingly small subplots that have the potential to grow into something big later down the road.

I also didn't like how they couldn't figure out the stone was doing the same don thing it was doing to them in the first movie (infighting)...could be the sameness of a lot of these Marvel plots (hey let's try and recover this stolen gem)

I'm confused...the mind gem in the Chitauri Scepter is what Loki was using to manipulate people in the first film.  In this movie, the Witch was using her own power to prey on the fears of various team members.  Was there something more to the mind gem in Avengers 2 that I missed?  When the team is in-fighting over Vision, I think that was more about standing up for their beliefs versus any kind of mind control.  As for the gems, Guardians, Cap 1, Thor 2, and Avengers were the only ones really focused on recovering them.  Iron Man 1-3, Thor 1, & Cap 2 don't touch on them and I thought the mind gem in Avengers 2 was a really small part.  They have to touch on them to some extent to build the larger Thanos storyline.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant.  My son loved it, I loved it, I'll definitely see it over and over again.  God Bless America.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #418 on: May 4, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Yeah there was mind control from the the Witch but also during the scene where they start fighting in the tower when they have the Vision coffin...it was the same thing that happened in Avengers 1.

I still have it as a 7/10 and did say I liked it, I just didn't love it as much as the first.  Part of that was length and the Hawkeye hometown and the Klaw scene were what could have been left out IMO...I did dig the fact that Ultron ripped off his arm

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #419 on: May 5, 2015, 12:43 AM »
Yeah there was mind control from the the Witch but also during the scene where they start fighting in the tower when they have the Vision coffin...it was the same thing that happened in Avengers 1.

I didn't take that as the gem causing them to fight.  That was more Tony Stark going off and attaching an AI to the android, which is basically what started the entire problem to begin with.
This is the way.

I have spoken.