Author Topic: Toys R Us "Death Star Trench Run" UBP  (Read 29254 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us "Death Star Trench Run" UBP
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I would have LOVED to see a Turbo laser turret in this set.  And back in the day Master Replicas made one with their Y-Wing prop, using it as a stand.  But the tooling expense of that added on to this X-Wing, TIE & the three figures would have drive the price of this set up to something like $129.99 AT LEAST.   

As it stands now this set is probably going to be doomed to failure because of that high price point.  I know that a big box like this is going to have to be at a certain price point in order to justify the ammount of shelf space that the package occupies.  The new AT-AT is a fantastic new vehicle with a similar pricepoint, and it's still readily available.  So Hasbro decides to offer a modified X-Wing and other items at that high of a pricepoint?  Can we say "poor decision"?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 10:36 AM »
This reminds me of the Euro Exclusive Clone Wars UBP they put out a few years back with Obi-Wan, Grievous and their respective starfighters. (The "Epic Encounter" set) Complete with window packaging. That was a bunch of repack swag too.

But yeah, I bought it...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58 AM »
The new AT-AT is a fantastic new vehicle with a similar pricepoint, and it's still readily available.  So Hasbro decides to offer a modified X-Wing and other items at that high of a pricepoint? 

Not to mention the $100 CW Baby Fett / Slave I set - my local TRU has 50+ of those still sitting on the upper shelves waiting for someone to buy them...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:08 AM »
I almost have to wonder if Hasbro produced this set as some kind of shelfspace holder.  The AT-AT has been in stores for a year.  And the Slave I set has been available for some time, as well. 

Hasbro has offered some products in the past as placeholders.  Back in the AOTC days Hasbro essentially confirmed that they reissued a number of vehicles in their Action Fleet line as placeholders until they could get new vehicles produced and shipped.  But the downside there was that those placeholders didn't sell and that strategy blew up in Hasbro's faces.  As a result that particular line eventually died.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48 AM »
I was thinking that perhaps Hasbro had updated the X-Wing mold in the hopes that, just like with the Y-Wing and the B-Wing, they could get a retailer to buy-in on having a Vintage Collection X-Wing exclusive.

Perhaps they were looking at Target to take that exclusive, but the poor performance of Wedge & his X-Wing from the Red/White TLC line may have put the stop to that.

So instead, they put the new X-Wing together with some re-release product and offered TRU a 2011 holiday season UBP in the same vein as the Slave I/Mace Windu JSF/five figure one they got last year.

Just a thought...

Related thought: I wonder if we're going to find out that WalMart has a Vintage Collection A-Wing coming this fall?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58 AM »
All valid points but I respectfully disagree on the failure assessment of this set. Here is why:

1. The X-Wing and DV tie
They are very iconic standard must have vehicles based on one of the most memorable scenes in the entire saga. They are more desirable to the avg buyer because they are instantly recognizable. While I really loved them both the AT-AT (I have 3) and the Slave 1 they are second and third tier vehicles to the avg buyer.

2. The package.
I can tell you from 11 yrs exp in the toy industry that window boxes especially on high pricepoint items like this make a world of difference. I have been in numerous test and consumer focus groups that show consumers like to see what they are getting especially if they are plunking down $100+. While they still plunk down on closed boxed items every test shows there is still some doubt and hesitation in whats in the closed box. Window packages show what you are getting and often, if done right like this, presents an attractive impulse factor that helps close the sale.

The AT-AT and Slave one (Both great values) did not have that going for them on top of the recognize factor.

I think this set will do well and have a faster sell through especially at Xmas time.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I think the set's fine for what it is, just nothing that excites me.  If the X-Wing were done to-scale, I'd easily have bought it by itself or in this pack...  That's just me.  It's certainly "iconic".

The problem is, and I agree with Jeff since I see the exact same thing at all my local TRU's, if the Fett pack didn't do well then I don't see this one doing well.  The CW is the line with the legs right now, and that Slave-I was a super Christmas gift...  This, it's from a movie we love, but kids aren't as connected to.  It has Vader going for it though.  I don't expect it to move any better than the Slave-I set did, unless there are a lot fewer of this set available or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Like others have said, cool for what it is, but nothing that I think I'll pick up unless it comes out that there is significant upgrade in there or something.  Like Jesse, I think the only way I'd likely buy another X-Wing now is if they made an all-new proper scaled version or something.  I do think this is a "neat" set, especially for kids - but I doubt they care that much about the ANH stuff anyways, but who knows.  It is kind of nice seeing so many classic vehicles out there this holiday season, between the various exclusives.  We also still have the Slave I and AT-AT's still at our local TRU (although not in the numbers Jeff is seeing), so I could really see things starting to stack up with TRU always being so reluctant to clearance.  I still think that the Slave I would have probably sold much better on its own, but we've discussed that here before.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I can tell you from 11 yrs exp in the toy industry that window boxes especially on high pricepoint items like this make a world of difference. I have been in numerous test and consumer focus groups that show consumers like to see what they are getting especially if they are plunking down $100+. While they still plunk down on closed boxed items every test shows there is still some doubt and hesitation in whats in the closed box. Window packages show what you are getting and often, if done right like this, presents an attractive impulse factor that helps close the sale.

Not to mention you can see when someone has swapped out the exclusive figures/weapons with something from the POTF2 era, which happens more often than not these days.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Man, I want that Slave 1, but I don't want anything else in that box.

As for these, it seems like a cool set, but the pricepoint is ridiculous. It's priced like a collectors' item, but it's got contents that collectors already have in spades. So the content is more appropriate for kids, but no parent is going to plunk down the cash for that. Stupid.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 04:30 PM »
I'd buy Bossk off you.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 06:27 PM »

As for these, it seems like a cool set, but the pricepoint is ridiculous. It's priced like a collectors' item, but it's got contents that collectors already have in spades. So the content is more appropriate for kids, but no parent is going to plunk down the cash for that. Stupid.

I'd buy up the figures if you just want the ship.  I already have one, but want to display the figures separately.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 08:18 PM »

I'd buy up the figures if you just want the ship.  I already have one, but want to display the figures separately.

I'm interested. The only thing I want from the set is Slave-1. Do you want everything else? Let's take it to PM.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:08 PM »
So I guess the cockpit is a complete overhaul...  Control stick, removable console panel to get the figure in better, targeting computer, yada yada yada.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35 AM »
This UBP means a welcome evolution on the X Wing

the dashbord in sculpt targeting computer, torpedo launcher, the section for the landing gear,
looks as if the size has been profitted to the milimeter.

Moreover the paint job is superb! ;) The turbines show yellow and grey sections, the wings show more panels painted grey or red.

I supossed they would have launch a bigger X wing, perhaps later, but this ship is far enough for this year.

The diorama remembers the detail of potf2 cantina and Jabba´s palace diorama.