Author Topic: Vintage Collection Wave 10 - TPM  (Read 85899 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 10 - TPM
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Does this one have that potential?  Because on my shelves, the only thing that CONSTANTLY falls over, are the battle droids.  I hate them.

I believe this one does have the potential, it uses a sturdier ABS plastic.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Does this one have that potential?  Because on my shelves, the only thing that CONSTANTLY falls over, are the battle droids.  I hate them.

I believe this one does have the potential, it uses a sturdier ABS plastic.

Agreed.  This battle droid has 2 or 3 significant issues, but the sturdiness of the legs does not seem to be one of them this time around.  It feels pretty solid.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Got all of Wave 10 tonight, and I'm not seeing the "superiority" in them.  :-\  Comment more later when I have time I guess but they're cool.  Just not THAT cool.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 1, 2012, 12:07 PM »
As far as a wave of figures goes, it's been a l--o--n--g time since we got basically 10 new figures in a wave... I think that has a lot to do with my view of "superiority" of this wave as compared to most anything else we've seen in at least a year.  The closest thing we've seen to this in a while in terms of newness and quality overall is probably Wave 3 and Wave 4 of TVC.  And for that, I think this wave is very good and one of the few ones I've seen even worthy of an online case order.  It would have been even better if they had fashioned new head sculpts for Qui Gon and Obi Wan... or packed second heads of them... one of Qui Gon with hair messed up from fighting, and one of Obi Wan's NOOOO!!!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #199 on: February 1, 2012, 12:30 PM »
That I agree with for sure, but it's a line launch so I sort of expected it too.  It's just been a while (or at least feels like it) since a wave was pretty much solid "new".  That's a positive no doubt but Wave 2 will put the lid on that ultimately since there's only 5 new in that wave.  :-\

I think the quality is on par with much of 2007 onward though, at least on an individual figure basis...  and it falls short in many ways in terms of accessories, prices to a degree, availability (TVC in general), and accessories/extras for sure.  In some other ways it excels (fabric use, "super articulation" basically being the standard).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 1, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Yeah, and I think they put more effort into Wave 1 for 2012 than the initial ESB wave that launched TVC.  The only true stinkers here are Obi Wan and Qui Gon (which are good figures, but I went into TRU today, which had no less than 12 cases of this wave on Sunday, all that's left now are about 10 each of Obi Wan and Qui Gon).  Why Hasbro didn't do something "new" on those figures to make them stand out a bit more is beyond me. 

What scares me more than anything though is it looks like both Waves 2 and 3 are going to be bombarded with more of the TPM wave repacked.  Why they can't select some other good figures here and there instead seems crazy... I believe Obi Wan and Qui Gon are supposed to be carried forward in Wave 3 for example - a smarter move would be to repack Jaina and Jacen Solo with TVC artwork/packaging.  But nope, they're not doing that.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: February 1, 2012, 04:05 PM »
I think this wave is loaded with "newness" simply because they have been stockpiling TPM sculpts for this relaunch.  Instead of getting two-three TPM Waves spread across 2008-2010, we get a whole bunch of new stuff saved up and dumped here.  There are what, ten new figures in this wave PLUS the four over in the Walmart wave that will be re-issued on Vintage cards later in the year. 

That's like 14 new vintage figures, which would have otherwise been spread out over four waves over the past four years.  We'll have to see if AOTC will get the same treatment or if things will settle down a little again...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #202 on: February 1, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Plus probably a hefty TVC TPM wave later in th eyear I'd bet Jeff...  The Jar Jar, maybe a Panaka, maybe a slave Ani, etc.  Later in the year could be pretty packed with more TPM resculpts though, and maybe some reissues like Maul that are bound to be decent sellers throughout the year.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #203 on: February 1, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Agreed.  This battle droid has 2 or 3 significant issues, but the sturdiness of the legs does not seem to be one of them this time around.  It feels pretty solid.

The only issue I have with this BD is the main back pack does not stay on too tight. I only opened one of my 10 as my collection is packed up right now. I hope its a specific issue with the one I opened. I really love this figure otherwise and it very screen accurate. when you compare him to the Target Arena Mold it looks like you are comparing a Quick Draw Clone to a VC45 Clone. It's a night and day difference. (The old BD blaster looks like POTF2 gun size proportions too. Never noticed how over sized it was until this one.)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 1, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Okay, I think I've gotten everything I want from this wave, although I haven't had a chance to open any of it yet. I'm up to 3 each of the Naboo Soldier and Battle Droid, thanks to that TRU sale. I figure if I'm going to be paying $9-10 a pop for Battle Droids, I might as well get the SA version, regardless of the height issue. Amidala is a statue, but thanks to the TRU sale I got her for free. I also am hesitant to buy the podracers, they just lack that "bang for your buck" IMO. But if my TRU had any of them, I would have bought them and gotten another army builder or something.

Sidious and Maul are definitely the hot sellers here, as I've only seen each once (when I snagged them). Anakin, Q-Vos, the Podracers and Amidala are hit or miss as well. Dofine, Qui Gon and Obi Wan are always lingering around.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: February 1, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Around here so far I'm noticing:

-Battledroids
-QGJ
-OWK
-Padme

These are the figures I've seen the most so far, with the Naboo dude and podracers next, and Sidious then, and then Maul/Vos seem to do really well and are tough(er) finds.

Seems to me this'll be getting worse though, going forward, due to the crummy repacking of TPM stuff steadily.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 1, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Hmn.  Would be nice to see these showing up anywhere around the twin cities.  They've made a round at most of the Walmarts I think and a few Targets got them weeks ago, but after calling around it looks like the 50 Targets in the metro all have the same "back ordered" gray dot on the tags.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 1, 2012, 10:24 PM »
This wave showed up tonight.  First vintage wave I've seen in Canada since wave 4.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: February 2, 2012, 01:40 AM »
So I'll rub it in then that I got a set I guess and give some thoughts...

-Face w/Limbs...  Actually a decent figure, just a horrid design.  I still am curious how he poops.  He's articulated nicely though, but features no foot holes for a stand so that could be a little problematic as he has tiny feet.  Mine's standing ok thus far though.

My figure's paintjob is pretty cool and I noticed he has these ear pieces that are translucent and show his ears through them.  Not sure why, but I assume this is accurate and it's kind of neat.  He sports a silver pistol and a droid, and I like that he has the droid at least.

-Neimoidian Guy...  I have to admit I do like the face a good bit.  It's better than, certainly, the 1999 Neimoidians, and it's sculpt is a tad better than the Lushros Dofine figure.  The removable hat is nice, the articulation, the softgoods...  It's a decent figure, just boring from head to toe ultimately.  I can't say I really care if they update any of the old ones.  I'm ok with what I have there. 

Paint aps on mine are nice on this guy, but nothing too spectacular.  Love the elf shoes.

-Ratts Tyrel...  Disappointing, to say the least.  The paint aps are ok, and I am alright with the accessories (hat, pistol, pit droid with a nice dirt wash on it).  Where I'm disappointed is, this figure has no knee or elbow articulation, and depending when/where you got him you may have paid a premium, but even if you paid $8, you deserve a little extra articulation on him. 

I'm disappointed.  Who knew the face would be a better podracer figure?

-Padme...  Can't even bring myself to open the package right now because I'm debating taking her back.  My sample is a crisp clean paintjob, that's good, but saltshakers make me question the purchase anymore.

I got the Outlander Padme in Wave 4, but refused to buy a 2nd to display with the other hat till I could get her cheap, and it paid off.  Padme figures just don't thrill me ever.

-Naboo Soldier...  One of my favorites.  The sculpt is pretty crisp, the articulation's great, the helmet's a little snug but works, the holster is functional and the new Naboo pistol is great.

My only gripe on him is the paint aps.  I got 2 Naboo Soldiers and both have the hair paint bleeding onto the face a little bit (I noticed paint bleeding and straying all over the place on every figure in the wave utlimately...  some worse than others, some in more noticeable places than others, so look over paintjobs if you have time and multiple figs to pick from).  Also the rainbow on the helmet is really bad, and a step down from the original figure he's based on.  Whatever paint they used was much more realistic and didn't have this "light effect" on it.  That rainbow is just horrible.

-Sidious...  Pretty cool figure all around.  Other than he can't really be posed with the hood on so you can have him look different directions other than down (or so it appears), he really is nice.

Are his hands re-used from the Evolutions Palpatine?  They're very wrinkly and old looking, and don't match the character's head.  That's my only gripe with him ultimately.

-Maul...  Not opened yet.  I'm waiting on him, but from the packaged figure I don't believe he'll be disappointing at all.  Some gripes on the headsculpt that I've read, but honestly I'm content I think.  He looks good to me except that his saber lacks any paint details, which tons of his old figures have nicely painted sabers.  That's a bit irksome.

I noticed some paint washes on figures like the Naboo soldier...  Nice to see.  Just wish that, when they do actually do paint aps like they used to do, they didn't do them sloppy.  Those hairlines that got messed up were very noticeable and at this point things that used to be more of a nitpick are now a glaring mistake IMO.

Skipped the battledroid.  I won't buy something underscaled at this point and price.  I'll stick with my old droids that are the proper height.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 2, 2012, 10:19 AM »
One thing that I noticed locally, aside from TRU, that it seems like places where this wave hit early (Target and WM here) haven't gotten any more for the "big launch".  That whole thing seems to be tied more directly with the movie heroes stuff, and to a lesser extent, CW.  I guess that is ok in a way though, that the TVC line is operating on its own maybe a bit more.  I've been fortunate in that I have what I wanted from this wave already, so I don't necessarily need to see it pouring off the pegs either.  Looking at Movie Heroes, I'm wondering if those will be moving for awhile now.