Author Topic: Cataloging you collection?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Cataloging you collection?
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Since my remodel is nearing completion it is getting to the time bring all my toys out from storage. I want to catalog all of my Star Wars figures and toys since I have no clue what I have anymore. Does anyone have a piece of software to do that? I was thinking of creating a spreadsheet or even designing an Microsoft Access database for it.

What do you do to catalog your collection?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Cataloging you collection?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:33 AM »
I have just used a spreadsheet with tabs for different items.  At this point, I just have one tab for vintage that lists everything I have in that area since it is mostly just the 3 3/4" figures and the 12" figures.  For other stuff I have tabs for 3 3/4" OT and prequel, 12" for both and misc. (ships, beast packs, etc.) for both.  Also have tabs for Legos, Hallmark ornaments, replicas, books and comics, loose figures, etc.  For figures I would track name, cardback type, serial number, and price I paid.  For other items, I have different columns, like set number and block count for legos or author for novels and comics.  Last tab is a running total of all of my items, mostly for insurance purposes.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37 AM »
I just have a giant Excel spreadsheet with everything in alphabetical order and what line it's from, etc. That way when I can't remember if I own something or a version of something I can look it up that way. Not ideal, but better than nothing and once you have it originally done it's easy to update.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I have an Excel spreadsheet with filters on it and hyperlinks to previously released versions.  It is just for Hasbro and Kubrick stuff though.  Let me know if you want a copy and I will send it over.  There is a guy in our MN collecting group that has made an access DB complete with UPCs.  I can check into that as well if you have Access software.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I use an Excel Spreadsheet with different tabs for different lines.  It's worked out well and came in handy with our insurance company.
This is the way.

I have spoken.