Author Topic: New York Comic Con 2011  (Read 49216 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: New York Comic Con 2011
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Given everything else in that battle pack, I'm thinking repaint.  All of those figures look like a reissue of some sort.

The Pit Droids are the only thing that looks a little different, as I think they may have a new paintscheme.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Our NYCC Image Database is updated... 

New York Comic Con Image Database

Lots of fun to check out, and good shots too.  Thanks to P-Siddy and Darby both for helping take pics at the show, and giving Paul a hand (he'll have more pics soon I believe).  This was so last minute for us even attending ultimately, that it was nice to have some friends in NYC already to help out.

My fav thing I think is the N1 fighter.  Looks to-scale...  With those awesome pilots, I'll be stoked to get a couple of it if that's true.

Some early hints at the big vehicle too...  Could the MTT be a reality?  With a wink and a nudge it was possibly being hinted at to P-Siddy! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Decent if slightly retread presence for Hasbro Star Wars at NYCC. If anything, I think they could've create more buzz with an exclusive. Obviously they care more about pushing same other lines right now, even though the 3-D stuff will hit before The Avengers, etc.
Was nice meeting a bunch of you and look forward to possible contribution and interaction at PhGeek.com.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2011, 01:25 PM »
So why does the vintage cardback show CW Obi-Wan starfighter, but the vintage boxed vehicle is Kenobi's ROTS Starfighter. (I'd point out the irony that they are reissuing that vehicle now that they are discontinuing the ROTS "pilot" Kenobi figure from Legends/Vintage, but Hasbro does things like this all the time...)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2011, 03:17 PM »
I'm really surprised at how much CW is getting put on the backburner it appears.  I was reading through a report at JTA, saying that there are 19 figures planned for the line next year - 14 of which we've already seen (and only 5 of those are "all new").  Pretty poor showing it seems, adding in that it appears the "deluxe with vehicle" line (or whatever it is called now) is gearing more towards TPM stuff as well.  Personally, I'm more into the movie stuff anyways - although I do pick up some CW here and there - but it is just surprising how little of it appears to be on the way in 2012.  With TPM being the poorest received movie of the Saga, I can't imagine it will get much better in coming years with the other 3D releases.

Otherwise, some neat stuff shown at the show.  TVC continues to look great, and I hope its pegs don't get overrun with movie heroes next year.  I'm pretty excited about the new Naboo Starfighter, and there's some nifty other stuff here and there that looks good too.  Although we don't know everything for 2012 yet, things look fairly light on the OT as far as vehicles and everything go.  But, I guess we also have the other "3D" years for that - and possible Fall/Exclusive stuff.  With all the repeat stuff coming, I should be able to save some money at least (or spend it elsewhere more likely - Marvel I'm looking at you).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Even Movie Heroes is getting  24 figures, with some 18 announced already.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2011, 08:51 PM »
So why does the vintage cardback show CW Obi-Wan starfighter, but the vintage boxed vehicle is Kenobi's ROTS Starfighter. (I'd point out the irony that they are reissuing that vehicle now that they are discontinuing the ROTS "pilot" Kenobi figure from Legends/Vintage, but Hasbro does things like this all the time...)

co-sign. And why was the Clone Wars V-19 Torrent pictured in a Vintage style box either?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2011, 10:50 PM »
co-sign. And why was the Clone Wars V-19 Torrent pictured in a Vintage style box either?

The cynic in me says that Hasbro took note of how well the TIE and Snowspeeder sold at Target in the Vintage packaging, and they probably feel that putting old vehicles into Vintage style-boxes will sell no matter what.

My hope is that the vehicles will get a new paint ap - especially the V-19, that vehicle was way too clean in the original release.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2011, 01:09 AM »
I'd absolutely love V-19 repaints...  Different squad colors/decoes, and even just a dirty republic red one would be nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2011, 08:30 AM »
So are they abandoning the whole idea of having line-specific vehicles? I don't see that the new packaging actually identifies these things as Vintage or Clone Wars related. If so, I think this is a HORRIBLE idea. The lines are already blurred too much as it is. I think a lot of collectors like the differentiation.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2011, 01:23 AM »
We updated our NYCC Image Gallery with the Hasbro Star Wars Presentation tonight.

Nice clear shots of the presentation are helpful for sure.  Can't wait for some of the figures! :)  Others, well, I could probably wait a while.  :-X

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2011, 09:39 AM »
And where is the Mandalorian Attack Transport?  Is it still coming?

I found the Mando transport at Forbidden Planet in NYC.  It's coming.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:39 AM by Darby »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Now I'm back I can put some thoughts down.

Overall I was actually impressed with the TPM offerings.  The line is sizable given this is a modest re-release and this is the least popular of the SW films overall.  I think Hasbro is banking on the kids that came in with TPM getting hit by that nostalgia bug so many of us did back in the 90's.  It's a gamble, but from my perspective, they are taking the opportunity to do some really cool things.

The Naboo Starfighter is pretty cool.  I got to play with it a little bit when I was talking to Daryl DePriest about another possible vehicle (something very big from TPM will be at TF - we discussed specifically MTT but no official confirmation).  I loved that the pilots have the trench coats.  I actually geeked out over this.  They are finally catching up to Ratts, Mawhonic, the last Naboo R2, just a lot of great stuff.  Mawhonic is terribly underscaled though, unless I am forgetting something.

We talked a bit about the WM wave, which Daryl said would be in heavy distribution.  He then showed me the other carded samples which weren't out yet (Naboo Pilot, Gungan, etc).  He mentioned something about WM having a Ultimate Force FX Qui Gon saber but that wasn't at the show I don't think.

I really like the vintage offerings, especially Luke and the Navy Officer.  I didn't even realize Vader was new.  Daryl really insisted on the vintage distribution problems being solved going forward. 

CW - I mentioned my thoughts in a CW thread, but the slim pickings are temporary.  I liked what I saw, but I'm ready for more.

Movie Heroes - I liked the new TPM stuff in general.  The light up figs are what they are.  Maul wasn't possible due to some reason, so they went with a wrist action thing.  Couldn't tell if Anakin was new, but I liked him.  Padme and Jar Jar were very nice.

I'm a bit mystified by the vintage boxes.  This is a separate line from the other ships - is the Naboo FIghter going to be vintage?

All in all, it was a good show and there is lots to look forward to.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Nice run-down Darby...  I wasn't terribly disappointed by the show myself, but I really wanted a lot of this E1 stuff updated, haha.  I wanted a nice Jar Jar (for once), new Naboo soldiers/pilots (I'm really hoping the guy in yellow with brown hat gets updated at some point too, as well as Panaka), a new N1 Fighter that's clearly increased to its proper scale...

I'm into that stuff.

And you'd mentioned to me the "rumor" stuff and I'm geeked.

Plus seeing Malgus and CW Ani (realistic) were both awesome.

If I had one major disappointment it was Hoth Luke's hat being apparantly molded one.  WTF?  You've been doing removable hats on Hoth guys for a while now, but now suddenly you can't do Luke's?  Why?  At this price it's inexcusable.

That's all though I was really annoyed with.  I liked what they showed generally otherwise...  Movie Heroes, I get the point of it.  I question if it'll work, but I get what they're doing.  It's sort of a necessary evil.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2011, 04:33 AM »
I noticed the  new packaging for the Dewback indicates a posable tail, my version of the latest release didn't have this feature... do you think it's a retool, a repack of the POTF or a packaging error? 

... you can see I'm stuck for news.